U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 12:05 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,135,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
We all do. Every one of us. It's what we are there for and what we do. It's procedure and actually required that we do that. In fact, when it's kind of slow, we can get pretty competitive and that can be some laughs sometimes. "Okay, you got this one but I'm next!". And yes, we really do that. lol

Congratulations if your store does it better than 99% of all the stores, in all the towns, in all the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 02:32 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,201,402 times
Quote:
I know it bothers a lot of people when others are on their cell phones while they are in line or checking out. It bothers me not at all. It just means that I don't have to interact with them, I can just do my job and get them out of there. If they want to spend their whole time talking to someone else, I don't care. It doesn't happen very often though and when it does they generally apologize.
Yes--at the risk of getting too off-topic (too late?), if a person being on the phone doesn't significantly hold up the line, I don't see where it's anybody else's business, frankly. That people make such a thing of it, I find it to be a form of bigotry. You don't hear of them complaining about people talking out loud to someone else present with them, no matter what anyone says about phone conversations being "different," I don't buy it. I think it's simply a thing of that, somehow, it's become fashionable to bash cell phone situations. You see it, too, in people throwing a fit over someone using a phone while driving but saying nothing about people eating or putting on make-up etc while driving, and certain jobs that throw a fit over employees being on the phone in terms of that they're supposedly goofing off yet saying nothing about "water cooler chit-chat" which could hardly be called "working" either, and saying nothing if an employee is using the WORK PHONE to make personal phone calls. It's silly.

It's a form of discrimination and bigotry, simple as that.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 AM

3,970 posts, read 2,357,873 times
When I customer comes into my job, and I'm waiting on them, and they answer the phone and walk away - yes I find that rude. Incredibly rude.

Even worse is when they come back 10 minutes later and then give me an attitude because I answered a phone call while they were outside.

I carry and use my phone everywhere. But I will NOT answer it (I usually silence it, but sometimes I forget) if I am in a place of business and ESPECIALLY if someone is waiting on me. If it rings, I hit the button to shut it up, and check out the call I missed later.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
When I customer comes into my job, and I'm waiting on them, and they answer the phone and walk away - yes I find that rude. Incredibly rude.

Even worse is when they come back 10 minutes later and then give me an attitude because I answered a phone call while they were outside.

I carry and use my phone everywhere. But I will NOT answer it (I usually silence it, but sometimes I forget) if I am in a place of business and ESPECIALLY if someone is waiting on me. If it rings, I hit the button to shut it up, and check out the call I missed later.
I don't know where that standard comes from that says you can't dare be on your phone while at the check-out line, but I think it's silly, especially when I notice that many of these people are among the fastest and most "in and out" of anyone I deal with. I do understand it's nice to have face-to-face communication with someone, heck I enjoy personal interactions, and I also admitted that if the party is an attractive woman there's a side of me wishing she'd put the phone down so I can talk to her (I'm a guy, after all, I appreciate a charming and attractive woman)--but please, as long as the customer can understood what the cashier is saying in terms of how much to pay and the customer is able to do their business quickly, that's all that matters.

Let's face it, we as cashiers see hundreds or so customers a day, there is no way we are going to be all buddy-buddy with all of them and I don't expect them to be all buddy-buddy with me, just don't be ugly or hold up the line significantly. Some of them will interact with us in a friendly way (and I do enjoy them), some simply do a quick "thank you, have a good day" spoken as if they didn't really mean it tone of voice and move right along, some will say almost nothing at all. It's all part of the routine, and it's par for the course--and nothing to be upset about. I don't expect every single customer who comes through that door to be all buddy-buddy with me or to even acknowledge that I'm there--as long as they don't cause the line to back up several persons deep due to the sorts of things I had on my list, and as long as they don't use ugly language towards me or the like, that is all I have any business asking for.

What I think is rude is for someone to have an attitude towards me or presume I'm a self-centered narcissist because, oh my God, I'm on the phone. Oh the horror! Get over yourself That isn't anyone's business anymore than it is why I choose to wear green instead of blue or the like. It is up to other people how they choose to respond and how they think on the matter in terms of thinking rationally or making assumptions and choosing to take offense at what is in fact nothing. I owe them no explanation with respect to my phone usage. I'm not in line to make a friend, I'm there to conduct a transaction--and as long as I'm not shouting so loudly they can hear me 10 states away or holding the line up, why I'm on the phone or that I amisn't anyone's business, and they are full of themselves to presume such to be rude or to think it's any of their business.

And yes, I will answer it if a call comes in, immediately, because that is why cell phones were invented--so we don't have to wait until we're home or at a phone booth (and obtain quarters etc) to get in touch with the people in our lives who actually matter. That call coming in is apt to be my wife, and she matters more to me than what a lot of snotty tightly-wound strangers think of me and something so silly as, oh my God, HE'S ON HIS PHONE!!! Get over yourself. They're cell phones, they're not phones in a booth or phones at home, to me they're MEANT to be used EVERYWHERE (aside from, say, libraries etc), and by George that's what I'm going to do, and those who don't like it--well, it's like a bridge, they'll get over it. It's on them.

Last edited by shyguylh; 01-21-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 01:37 PM

3,970 posts, read 2,357,873 times
I didn't call you a self-centered anything, nor do I care what you wear, nor do I need to have a full out conversation with someone on either side of the counter. I just want to conduct a transaction.

My jobs are service jobs, where someone comes in and needs me to look something up for them. This is a back and forth conversation with info needed from BOTH parties. Talking on the phone is a distraction for either party.

99% of customers would consider it rude if a cashier or salesperson was on the phone while helping them out (see post above about a cashier with a microphone in her shirt). I cannot even answer a business call while waiting on a customer - that would be rude on my part.

99% of the calls that people take when being waited on are NOT so important that they can't wait for 5 minutes. I know this because I hear most of them.

I have people in my life that are more important that any of my jobs. But unless they are dying, they can wait a few minutes for me to call them back.

As someone who loves books, I'm glad you have libraries on your short list of places not to use your phone. But if you come into my job and expect me to help you, spare me the attitude when I wait on someone else while you are on the phone. I can only go so far without input from you, be it an answer or payment. I have no qualms about taking the next person in line.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:37 PM

You are apparently referring to a situation where two-way communication is required. In my situation, and situations like it which I refer to, it's not required. To me, if the person being on a phone isn't significantly impairing their ability to communicate, it's a non-issue. I think lots of time people just have this griping type of attitude towards phones just because they're phones period and they hate them, not because of any actual problems they create. They certainly, many of them, have tendencies towards griping about phone-based problems while saying nothing about similar problems created by things other than phones.

Your situation is apparently different than mine, and that's fine. In my case, I find people on the phone don't hold up the line at all, and in fact they're some of the fastest people I deal with. If their actions were holding up the line, I'd be the first to gripe about the given behavior. They don't, so to me it's a non-issue.

I tend to take up for the cell phone people because I see a lot of this hatred and I think it's nothing less than a form of discrimination in terms of one's attitude--again, I'm not necessarily speaking of what you're talking about. I'm thinking of jobs where they have rules against cell phone usage yet you can use their company phone all day long and they don't care, or where people are hanging around the water cooler and no one says a thing yet the boss throws a fit if you spend 9 freaking seconds texting your baby sitter. I've seen this numerous times and I think it's a type of discrimination in terms of the attitude expressed. I'm thus prone to giving cell phone people the benefit of the doubt.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:52 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,926,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Congratulations if your store does it better than 99% of all the stores, in all the towns, in all the world.
Oh for goodness sakes! lol We are far from perfect but we are rated the #1 store, out of 140, for our half of the state. I think that says something for us. We honestly do try for good customer service and we try to have fun on the job as well. If I can't have some fun I don't want to be there!

Old 01-22-2015, 08:56 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,926,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes--at the risk of getting too off-topic (too late?), if a person being on the phone doesn't significantly hold up the line, I don't see where it's anybody else's business, frankly. That people make such a thing of it, I find it to be a form of bigotry. You don't hear of them complaining about people talking out loud to someone else present with them, no matter what anyone says about phone conversations being "different," I don't buy it. I think it's simply a thing of that, somehow, it's become fashionable to bash cell phone situations. You see it, too, in people throwing a fit over someone using a phone while driving but saying nothing about people eating or putting on make-up etc while driving, and certain jobs that throw a fit over employees being on the phone in terms of that they're supposedly goofing off yet saying nothing about "water cooler chit-chat" which could hardly be called "working" either, and saying nothing if an employee is using the WORK PHONE to make personal phone calls. It's silly.

It's a form of discrimination and bigotry, simple as that.
I don't know if I'd call it "bigotry" but most people think it's rude. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't but it just doesn't bother me. And yes, people who shop together will talk back and forth during the entire transaction and I don't see that as being any different than being on a cell phone. At least they aren't keeping an 'eagle eye' on me thinking I might overcharge/cheat them. lol

Old 01-22-2015, 03:14 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,135,308 times
[quote=shyguylh;37916958]As a customer, I like for lines to do one thing--move. Period. Over time, I've come not to be upset at the cashiers, but those particular customers who do things that hold up the line. The cashier can't help the situation, they're doing the best they can, it's the customers who are the problem.

The types:

(1) They don't have any of their money or cards etc ready. They've had all that time to get it out, but they don't, and then they have to dig through every last pocket. Sometimes they even have to go to their vehicle AFTER they're already at the point of paying.

(2) They count out a huge amount of change for paying so they get none back. Why is it such a big deal to get change back vs all of it being bills? So what if your item is $5.62 and you get $4.38 in change back from your $10? Is it really going to kill you that much? Sitting there painfully and slowly counting out 62c so you get back an even $5 is not worth the time it takes holding up other people.

(3) Lottery ticket purchasers. I don't know why that is, but they take a whole lot longer than just paying for a soda and getting gas. There should be a separate line just for lottery tickets.

(4) Cigarettes--same thing. They're locked in a cage behind the counter and it takes awhile for the clerk to find the exact one out of dozens of options, and by the time they go, unlock the glass, fetch it, and come back, and then the customer gripes and moans about being ID'd when it's not the cashier's fault, and they have to run to their car to get it--ugh. Buy your cigarettes at a tobacco emporium.

(5) Buying like 50 items in a place like Family Dollar or Fred's. Okay, there's no policy saying you can only buy 5-10 items, but really, 90% of the people in a place like Fred's or Family Dollar etc are there to buy, say, 5-10 items, maybe 20 at the most. I've heard them say they go in there figuring they'll get in and out faster than they will in Walmart, and those check-out lines aren't long enough to hold that much. Going in there buying like 50 items, sometimes more, just holds up things. That's for WalMart, if you ask me.

(6) Arguing about a 20c discrepancy in a price. Okay, maybe the principle is the thing, but on the practical side, wasting that much of my time over 20 freaking cents--come on. Stop griping, pay the 20c, and shut up already.

(7) The ATM card doesn't work. Stop fussing about the machine being picky. Go prepared. Order another card that's fresh, or draw the money out from an ATM. Going in there KNOWING is likely to reject your card, and then complain when it does, and REFUSING to order a new card when they're free anyway--it's silly. Get another card already, it's no big deal to do so and it will fix the problem. Stop being stubborn.

Thoughts?[/quote]

1) Yes!
2) No, unless there is the same concept involved as in number one.
3) That's on the store, not the patron.
4) Same - store problem.
5) Same - store problem.
6) Same - store problem. Store made the error, it will happen, but they must have a policy to take care of it quickly. Now, if the guy complaining is actually wrong, that's something else entirely.
7) Mostly correct, but never cleaning card swipers can create these problems rather than there being anything wrong with the card.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,187,119 times
Quote:
Our customers don't even have to fill out their checks. Our check writer does that and they just sign and approve on the card reader. Older people insist on filling them out though just because that's what they've "always done". They insist on filling out the check register because they will "forget" if they don't. That's what they tell me anyway. I just stick my receipts in the check book and fill it out when I get home. I haven't 'forgot' yet! lol

Sometimes I wish I had baggers. I can scan fast and when people want to bag their own it goes really fast! I love it. It used to hurt my feelings when people wanted to bag their own because I thought they didn't trust me to do it 'right'. Well, those fears are often well founded but as people got to know me they were okay with 'my way'. These days I appreciate the help.

We agee!!!!! I don't like anybody being pissed at me...I do not hold up lines.by by writing a check..I move my A$$..now we moved and I use a credit card...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or