U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 08:49 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,926,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Every store I've ever been in has that policy.
What does get awkward is when an idle cashier calls you into 'her' 20 or less line and somebody comes rushing up behind when you're still unloading half of your 40 items and they have a deli sandwich and a bottle of water and you just know they're on their lunch hour.
It's you that gets the dirty looks, not the cashier.
That doesn't happen very often, thankfully. When I go in really early in the morning the place can be like graveyard so, yes, I'll tell folks with more than 20 items to come to my register. I have told the next customer in line that *I* asked them to come to my register and I haven't been chewed out yet. As we get busier though I won't do that because I respect my customers and their time limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 10:49 AM

3,970 posts, read 2,357,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Six boxes of pasta = 6 items. If it's a six pack of pasta, it's one item. Each scan equals one item. IF a 24 can case of cat food can be scanned as a case it counts as one item. If you have to scan each can separately it's 24. We can, of course do a quantity scan as long as it's six or more items and are identical...flavor, size, etc.. And it CAN be done at self checkout as well but the attendant has to do it for you.
Ya, I count each item as 1 as well. Obviously things like toilet paper and paper towels are a bundle but cat food rarely is in a grocery store, same with pasta (wholesale club is a different story). Having the attendant do it kind of defeats the purpose of a self checkout! Ours can't take the can redemption slips so we have to go through a regular checkout for that too (yes, an attendant can do that but it holds up the line!).

Quote:
I see parents letting their kids swipe their cards and put in the numbers, all the time. I think it's silly when they are so little but I don't think it's any big deal. Kids are GREAT at the self checkout. They have got it down better than most of the adults who use them. They are in and out. As for people knowing that guys pin number...what would they do with it without the card number? And vice versa. Although cards are pretty easy to use anymore without a pin number. Just change it to 'credit' and don't even have to sign under $50 and sometimes more. Now THAT bothers me. As a cashier and as a consumer/card holder.
I've noticed that about credit lately! I almost alway use debit so I didn't realize they had done that.

This thread is about holding up lines and the guy sure was with his kid. I know kids can use mobile devices pretty well but this kid couldn't remember each number as he was told - or maybe he just didn't know his numbers well so when dad said "3" the kid couldn't find 3 on the pad. He was really young, I'm sure a kid 8 or over would've been done and back at the car before dad gathered up his purchases. Dunno - but at some point you have to give up and move on, and teach the kid a little more at home. Kind of like driving, you learn in a parking lot away from people and cars before you go in the street.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:25 PM

1,380 posts, read 668,036 times
On a lighter note..........

I am middle aged but my work is pretty physical. At the end of the day, I enjoy a cold beer like millions of others.
However, if I my fridge is empty I used to stop at convienence stores to stock up. So when someone is at the front of the line is buying cigarettes (No, not those Marlboros, Marlboro purple or whatever), then lottery tickets. (no ,not Scratchers, Powerball), I feel that 12 or 18 pack getting heavier......... and heavier. And the person buying looks like they could afford neither.

Fortunately, we have many choices. Why many of those stores are closing in my town.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:58 PM

587 posts, read 729,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My problem is not only with people holding up lines, but people shopping in the stores. I find that far too many people will park their carts right in the middle of an aisle, thereby preventing me and other shoppers from getting through with our carts! It's very frustrating and makes me wonder why so many shoppers are so inconsiderate.
Or the rich old ladies who try to run me over with their shopping carts. Seriously, you want to play chicken???

I watched one woman cream a display of beer and just keep on walking. Insane.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:57 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,135,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I work for Walmart and nobody is allowed to tell customers to use another register. It isn't that management doesn't care but you would be amazed at the things people complain about. They'll actually notify corporate and tell them that we "refused" to take care of them. I think we just hope that our customers are more thoughtful than that and can READ.

I actually have had other customers confront some of those less thoughtful people. The one confronted just doesn't care and will get snippy and/or angry. Believe me, as a cashier, I'd be MORE than happy to redirect some of those selfish people but, you know how it goes...the customer is ALWAYS right! And even when they aren't they will still push you to the limits.
Terrible management policy. This may be one of the reasons I haven't been in a Walmart in years.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:40 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,566,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Terrible management policy. This may be one of the reasons I haven't been in a Walmart in years.
The Walmart that AZDesertBrat works at is pretty good. The staff are pleasant and helpful. The store is clean, well-stocked and the prices are reasonable. Also, the alternative to our local Walmart for just about anything other than food is a 75 minute drive to Prescott or Flagstaff.

My only gripe is that the self-serve checkouts are slower than me (which causes problems) and can be 'quirky'.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
Or the rich old ladies who try to run me over with their shopping carts. Seriously, you want to play chicken???

I watched one woman cream a display of beer and just keep on walking. Insane.
I saw a lady do that just the other day! She was using one of those electric carts, turned too short and knocked over an entire display of chips. She cussed and kept on going! lol

Old 01-25-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't make management policy and, as a cashier, I'm not to crazy about the people who do the things they do and take advantage of my good nature! But I don't know what to tell you. I guess it's just best you don't go to Walmart.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The Walmart that AZDesertBrat works at is pretty good. The staff are pleasant and helpful. The store is clean, well-stocked and the prices are reasonable. Also, the alternative to our local Walmart for just about anything other than food is a 75 minute drive to Prescott or Flagstaff.

My only gripe is that the self-serve checkouts are slower than me (which causes problems) and can be 'quirky'.
Wow! You're the second person I've read here that has something positive to say about 'my' store. I really appreciate it and I do believe we have a pretty darn good store. Thank you!

I know there are several posters on CD that live in my area and shop at Walmart. I've met two of them. I often wonder if the others have ever come through my register.

Self checkout has it's own set of "quirky" that's for sure. lol I try to give my customers 'tips' on how to make them work better for them and most of them really appreciate it. I hear, often, "I didn't know that!". I don't particularly like working self checkout, my supervisors know it, but I have to 'put in my time' like everyone else. Give me a long belt any day and I'm happy! lol

Old 01-25-2015, 07:08 PM

9,814 posts, read 16,233,038 times
Quote:
Well, who is allowed to tell them? What's the purpose of having express lanes if management doesn't care? What kind of company do you work for that cares so little for the convenience of the majority of its customers in favor of those few who would abuse the system?

Are you really not permitted to redirect those selfish people or is the mind set there "don't worry about it, it's not worth getting involved with?" Is there a preference for customers to confront other customers because store staff refuses to?

Its a matter of customer service, and, also, a security issue. You never know when someone will go "postal" on you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or