U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 09:26 PM

7,474 posts, read 4,140,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Its a matter of customer service, and, also, a security issue. You never know when someone will go "postal" on you
That's an odd way to show customer service - inconvenience a dozen or so patrons so one selfish lout doesn't get their knickers in an uproar. If employees cannot be empowered to enforce policies designed for the benefit of all customers, why have policies at all? Perhaps the employees can not be relied upon to use good judgement which may reflect poorly on their abilities, training and management. We've already seen here an employee whose attitude is that the customers are there at her convenience rather than the opposite. Time for a refresher course in what customer service is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 12:28 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,930,336 times
[quote=kokonutty;38174292]That's an odd way to show customer service - inconvenience a dozen or so patrons so one selfish lout doesn't get their knickers in an uproar. If employees cannot be empowered to enforce policies designed for the benefit of all customers, why have policies at all? Perhaps the employees can not be relied upon to use good judgement which may reflect poorly on their abilities, training and management. We've already seen here an employee whose attitude is that the customers are there at her convenience rather than the opposite. Time for a refresher course in what customer service is all about.[/quote]

You know, it's NOT a constant parade of people who try to pull tricks like that. MOST people are good and sensible and feel bad if they have too many items. Most people don't have as many as they think they have anyway. It's just the few that cause frustrations and a "few" I can deal with.

If you are speaking of me and accusing me of thinking the customers are there for MY convenience...I don't know where you get that idea at all. I've been working in customer service for over 50 years. I'm not some youngster who hasn't learned what "customer service is all about". I've also been in management. You really shouldn't assume things about people you know nothing about.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:43 AM

11,165 posts, read 14,808,380 times
Quote:
If you are speaking of me and accusing me of thinking the customers are there for MY convenience...I don't know where you get that idea at all.
I think that is actually meant for me because apparently I'm not paying attention to my customers if they happen to wander past the checkout lanes and come over to be checked out where I'm making a weekly merchandise order at the computer terminal.
I agree the problem customers aren't the norm but boy do some of them make up for the rest!

Old 01-26-2015, 03:40 AM

[quote=AZDesertBrat;38175804]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That's an odd way to show customer service - inconvenience a dozen or so patrons so one selfish lout doesn't get their knickers in an uproar. If employees cannot be empowered to enforce policies designed for the benefit of all customers, why have policies at all? Perhaps the employees can not be relied upon to use good judgement which may reflect poorly on their abilities, training and management. We've already seen here an employee whose attitude is that the customers are there at her convenience rather than the opposite. Time for a refresher course in what customer service is all about.[/quote]

You know, it's NOT a constant parade of people who try to pull tricks like that. MOST people are good and sensible and feel bad if they have too many items. Most people don't have as many as they think they have anyway. It's just the few that cause frustrations and a "few" I can deal with.

If you are speaking of me and accusing me of thinking the customers are there for MY convenience...I don't know where you get that idea at all. I've been working in customer service for over 50 years. I'm not some youngster who hasn't learned what "customer service is all about". I've also been in management. You really shouldn't assume things about people you know nothing about.
I assume these things because you and some other customer service people here spend a lot of time complaining about those customers.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:03 AM

20,542 posts, read 20,523,898 times
Quote:
Terrible management policy. This may be one of the reasons I haven't been in a Walmart in years.
I mentioned this before but will repeat it.
Every store I've shopped in has this policy.
Perhaps somebody can tell me which one(s) doesn't?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think that is actually meant for me because apparently I'm not paying attention to my customers if they happen to wander past the checkout lanes and come over to be checked out where I'm making a weekly merchandise order at the computer terminal.
I agree the problem customers aren't the norm but boy do some of them make up for the rest!
Maybe it's for all of us who work in retail. I mean, we are after all, uneducated creatures who can't get a 'better job'...or something. We really don't care about our customers, or our jobs evidently, or we'd just be plain ol' bitchy will all of them. I think the majority of us do our best and we DO care.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:19 AM

[quote=kokonutty;38176440]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

I assume these things because you and some other customer service people here spend a lot of time complaining about those customers.
Most of it is not complaining. We observe, we shake our heads and laugh but that doesn't stop us from talking about it. People are strange creatures and working in retail you have to have a thick skin and a good sense of humor or you're lost. Same with any customer service job, really. You should try it! You might not LIKE it but you'd sure learn a few things. lol

Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 AM

13,058 posts, read 7,932,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I mentioned this before but will repeat it.
Every store I've shopped in has this policy.
Perhaps somebody can tell me which one(s) doesn't?
I worked at Target, and was never told I couldn't tell people they were over the limit for the express lane. If I was on the express register and someone got in line with a cart full of items, I would politely tell them that it looks like they're over the limit. I never had any problems with the customers I said this to. Usually they would apologize for not paying attention. I wasn't standing there counting everyone's items before I would ring them up, but if your cart is overflowing with groceries its obvious that you're over the limit. I don't see why a cashier can't tell a customer they're in the wrong line. Whats the point of having express lanes with item limits if you're just going to let anyone use them?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:04 PM

[quote=AZDesertBrat;38177872]
Quote:

Most of it is not complaining. We observe, we shake our heads and laugh but that doesn't stop us from talking about it. People are strange creatures and working in retail you have to have a thick skin and a good sense of humor or you're lost. Same with any customer service job, really. You should try it! You might not LIKE it but you'd sure learn a few things. lol
You're barking up the wrong tree, ma'am. I've done just about everything out there, probably for longer than you have, but I always understood that without those customers there was no job. Sure, I might b*tch to some coworkers about the customers but I wouldn't be complaining to strangers on a message board. I was always able to leave the customer service job in my locker when I left work - not something that can be done with other lines of work I've done. Customers can be superb jerkoffs but my operating theory as a worker and manager was always "they can be obnoxious, but they can't be abusive."

I also notice in another post you said "I mean, we are after all, uneducated creatures who can't get a 'better job'...or something." and three minutes later "working in retail you have to have a thick skin and a good sense of humor or you're lost."
Nobody said the first part but you, perhaps your skin is not as thick as you'd like to believe.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I worked at Target, and was never told I couldn't tell people they were over the limit for the express lane. If I was on the express register and someone got in line with a cart full of items, I would politely tell them that it looks like they're over the limit. I never had any problems with the customers I said this to. Usually they would apologize for not paying attention. I wasn't standing there counting everyone's items before I would ring them up, but if your cart is overflowing with groceries its obvious that you're over the limit. I don't see why a cashier can't tell a customer they're in the wrong line. Whats the point of having express lanes with item limits if you're just going to let anyone use them?
You get it, and your management gets it. That's looking out for what's best for all the customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or