U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 06:06 PM

11,473 posts, read 4,369,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
As a customer, I like for lines to do one thing--move. Period. Over time, I've come not to be upset at the cashiers, but those particular customers who do things that hold up the line. The cashier can't help the situation, they're doing the best they can, it's the customers who are the problem.
How do you know? Every situation is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 06:09 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,095,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
As a customer, I like for lines to do one thing--move. Period. Over time, I've come not to be upset at the cashiers, but those particular customers who do things that hold up the line. The cashier can't help the situation, they're doing the best they can, it's the customers who are the problem.

The types:

(1) They don't have any of their money or cards etc ready. They've had all that time to get it out, but they don't, and then they have to dig through every last pocket. Sometimes they even have to go to their vehicle AFTER they're already at the point of paying.

(2) They count out a huge amount of change for paying so they get none back. Why is it such a big deal to get change back vs all of it being bills? So what if your item is $5.62 and you get $4.38 in change back from your $10? Is it really going to kill you that much? Sitting there painfully and slowly counting out 62c so you get back an even $5 is not worth the time it takes holding up other people.

(3) Lottery ticket purchasers. I don't know why that is, but they take a whole lot longer than just paying for a soda and getting gas. There should be a separate line just for lottery tickets.

(4) Cigarettes--same thing. They're locked in a cage behind the counter and it takes awhile for the clerk to find the exact one out of dozens of options, and by the time they go, unlock the glass, fetch it, and come back, and then the customer gripes and moans about being ID'd when it's not the cashier's fault, and they have to run to their car to get it--ugh. Buy your cigarettes at a tobacco emporium.

(5) Buying like 50 items in a place like Family Dollar or Fred's. Okay, there's no policy saying you can only buy 5-10 items, but really, 90% of the people in a place like Fred's or Family Dollar etc are there to buy, say, 5-10 items, maybe 20 at the most. I've heard them say they go in there figuring they'll get in and out faster than they will in Walmart, and those check-out lines aren't long enough to hold that much. Going in there buying like 50 items, sometimes more, just holds up things. That's for WalMart, if you ask me.

(6) Arguing about a 20c discrepancy in a price. Okay, maybe the principle is the thing, but on the practical side, wasting that much of my time over 20 freaking cents--come on. Stop griping, pay the 20c, and shut up already.

(7) The ATM card doesn't work. Stop fussing about the machine being picky. Go prepared. Order another card that's fresh, or draw the money out from an ATM. Going in there KNOWING is likely to reject your card, and then complain when it does, and REFUSING to order a new card when they're free anyway--it's silly. Get another card already, it's no big deal to do so and it will fix the problem. Stop being stubborn.

Thoughts?
I think you need to stop sweating the small stuff Life is FULL of inconveniences, real problems, and outright tragedies. If you are not in a tragedy situation, you're just allowing yourself to get eaten alive by small annoyances.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:40 PM

110 posts, read 43,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
Just last week I was behind a guy who had to run out to his car to get his wallet.
Just chuckled when I read this
I'm a cashier and men are notorious for leaving their wallets in the car. It happens to me at least 3-4 times per shift.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:24 AM

110 posts, read 43,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Me either - J.C. Penney's has a new system for checking out customers. Instead of paying in the department where you made your purchase you now go up front and pay the check-out people like you do at Wal-Mart or Target. The problem is they never have enough people up there. I'm not waiting 15 minutes to check out. Target calls people up front to open more registers when there are more than 3 customers on line and that's what needs to be done at JCP. The last time I was in there I waited for around 10 minutes with the line barely moving so I just put my purchases aside and left. And they wonder why retail is in trouble? Trying to cut corners by having less employees which means customers who are actually in the brick and mortar store get tired of waiting and walk out.

In the OP's case everybody on the line should have asked for a manager or just put down their purchases and left. Maybe that would have sent the store a message.
You are correct when you say the retailers are trying to cut corners by scheduling less employees. It's all about the profit for them. As a retail worker I am always on schedule with a skeleton crew and it is not good for the customer or business. These foolish CEOs do not truly know what they are doing and are contributing to the decline in sales and profits by doing so.

The worse part is by walking out without buying anything these companies do not have a clue that this is hurting their bottom line. Since the men in charge are sitting in their ivory towers, they do not see what goes on behind closed doors. When you abandon your cart the few people who are scheduled have more things to add to their never ending lists of things to do. This leads to our skeleton crew needing to put everything back on the shelf. Which leads to less customer service for you because that occupies more of our time. It punishes the wrong people and the message does not reach corporate.

Also, if you call over a manager to complain, it falls on deaf ears because corporate don't listen to us when we try to tell them we are always way too short staffed and need to have more staff on the payroll to take care of customers and operate the store duties. They just don't want to hear it and tell us to stop making excuses for not meeting their expectations. When our store doesn't meet our sales goals they yell at us and threaten our jobs. Then they tell us we have to upsell some products or services to you to make up for profit losses. No wonder everyone is ordering things online these days and retail is dying.

If you want them to listen, call customer service and make a complaint about the store. In your complaint please don't bash the workers because trust me we are trying the best we can with so little help. Just tell them they need to add on more staff because there is never enough workers on the floor or at the cash register to assist you. If they get enough of the same complaints, maybe they will wise up and our store will be given more staff hours/help.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:16 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,365 posts, read 958,703 times
Customers who don't know how to get in line also need to go! If there isn't a bank-style queueing system set up, pick a line and stand on it or go up to a waiting cashier!

Old 08-18-2017, 03:01 PM

10,702 posts, read 9,662,812 times
Had an interesting experience in a store today; the customer in front of me (who was holding her young son) told the cashier she didn't have one of the 'store cards' to take advantage of sales.

The cashier gave the customer a one-page form to fill out and instead of having the customer move to one side so she could wait on other customers (there were 3 of us in line). . .the cashier told the customer to 'take her time' filling out the form and to stay right where she was. The two of them carried on a conversation about child rearing in the process and the clerk ignored the rest of us while talking to the customer's young son and telling how cute he was.

Fortunately another cashier came by and told the rest of us in line to move over to her area so she could ring up our purchases.

I have nothing against being nice to the lady and her child, but expecting customers to wait needlessly while the two women carried on a gab-fest was inappropriate - and that chit-chat prevented the customer was concentrating solely on the form while she gave her opinions on raising children.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:57 AM

2,850 posts, read 2,097,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Had an interesting experience in a store today; the customer in front of me (who was holding her young son) told the cashier she didn't have one of the 'store cards' to take advantage of sales.

The cashier gave the customer a one-page form to fill out and instead of having the customer move to one side so she could wait on other customers (there were 3 of us in line). . .the cashier told the customer to 'take her time' filling out the form and to stay right where she was. The two of them carried on a conversation about child rearing in the process and the clerk ignored the rest of us while talking to the customer's young son and telling how cute he was.

Fortunately another cashier came by and told the rest of us in line to move over to her area so she could ring up our purchases.

I have nothing against being nice to the lady and her child, but expecting customers to wait needlessly while the two women carried on a gab-fest was inappropriate - and that chit-chat prevented the customer was concentrating solely on the form while she gave her opinions on raising children.
I would not be surprised if the company the cashier works for wants employees to do this for a customer because of the increased business.

The company sees repeat business with this customer, and wants the customer to feel like they are a guest. So the cashier has to make the guest feel welcome.

But, you *general you* need to find a happy medium so you do not inconvenience the customers behind you while making your current customer feel welcome.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Regarding the bolded parts in pink...

Senior management probably wants the cashier to do this, and so I would send a letter to them, or to regional management, explaining how you feel about this.

This advice is for any customer.

You can tell store management about this, but store management is probably told by Senior management to do this. The problem with this is that Senior management is not involved with the day to day operations, and so they do not think about how it affects other customers. What they see is a happy customer and increased business. So Senior management needs to be made aware that their decisions also affect other customers.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:53 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,662,812 times
snugglegirl05, thank you for your input.

I took your advise and called the store manager to relate the incident. The manager informed me that in 'no uncertain terms' is a customer to stand at the check-out counter while completing the application for one of the store's cards.

She said that cashiers keep extra forms at their station to hand out but are to instruct the customer to complete the form at the customer service counter. In turn, customer service will issue a card and scan the receipt to give the customer any refunds in effect.

The manager apologized for the cashier's actions and will re-train her regarding the applications.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
snugglegirl05, thank you for your input.

I took your advise and called the store manager to relate the incident. The manager informed me that in 'no uncertain terms' is a customer to stand at the check-out counter while completing the application for one of the store's cards.

She said that cashiers keep extra forms at their station to hand out but are to instruct the customer to complete the form at the customer service counter. In turn, customer service will issue a card and scan the receipt to give the customer any refunds in effect.

The manager apologized for the cashier's actions and will re-train her regarding the applications.
A company that uses commons sense.

I guess I am a bit cynical since I have read on the internet the opposite of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or