U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2017, 12:20 PM
 
13,052 posts, read 7,922,671 times
Reputation: 24950

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
It's stressing out some of my co-workers who said they have to rush their bathroom breaks or to get a sip of water, so I beg to differ. Plus, the productivity results get printed out and tacked to the breakroom wall, with our NAMES on it!
Bathroom breaks should be done on lunch breaks or 15 minute breaks, not while customers are in line or being checked out. If they are done when they are supposed to be done, it does not affect how quickly a cashier rings up a customer.

If you are doing your job correctly, then your productivity results will reflect that. Who cares if everyone sees that you are able to do your job? If you're not able to, then its probably time to either ask for more training or find another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2017, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,364 posts, read 957,197 times
Reputation: 1757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Bathroom breaks should be done on lunch breaks or 15 minute breaks, not while customers are in line or being checked out. If they are done when they are supposed to be done, it does not affect how quickly a cashier rings up a customer.

If you are doing your job correctly, then your productivity results will reflect that. Who cares if everyone sees that you are able to do your job? If you're not able to, then its probably time to either ask for more training or find another job.
Let me ask you something: Ever work as a cashier or other role in a retail store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 02:54 PM
 
8,929 posts, read 19,755,546 times
Reputation: 12126
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
When that happens, look for a manager, and tell them what happened.
Ask that manager what he/she can do for the other customers waiting in the same line. Also ask that manager what the cashier needs to do when that happens.

That customer had a lot of nerve to do what she did.
The cashier should've suspended the order and moved on to the next customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 09:00 PM
 
2,850 posts, read 2,097,147 times
Reputation: 2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
The cashier should've suspended the order and moved on to the next customer.
I work at Kroger, and a front-end supervisor or manager has to suspend an order because that entails an override.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
It's stressing out some of my co-workers who said they have to rush their bathroom breaks or to get a sip of water, so I beg to differ. Plus, the productivity results get printed out and tacked to the breakroom wall, with our NAMES on it!

I'm glad I don't work for that company. They don't do that kind of stuff to us. I can find out, any time of day, what my productivity is on my register. They used to give us tiny stickers with our monthly averages on them but I never kept mine. Certainly nobody has to "rush their bathroom breaks" or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Reputation: 11385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
The cashier should've suspended the order and moved on to the next customer.

A manager would have to come and over ride it but that only takes a minute. I would have done exactly that with a customer like that. I have never seen such a thing happen and hope I never do! That's about the max of rudeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 10:54 PM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
11,097 posts, read 14,788,486 times
Reputation: 25320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Let me ask you something: Ever work as a cashier or other role in a retail store?
I do, and she's right about the bathroom breaks.
The productivity reports can be taken as a positive or a negative, depending on how the mgt team presents it. They shouldn't be using it to embarrass or demean employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 12:07 AM
 
13,052 posts, read 7,922,671 times
Reputation: 24950
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Let me ask you something: Ever work as a cashier or other role in a retail store?
Yes, I worked as a cashier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,364 posts, read 957,197 times
Reputation: 1757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, I worked as a cashier.
Me too, 30 years ago, when we just did our jobs, and followed procedure. No productivity tracking aoftware unjustly comparing part-timers to full-timers, none of that nonsense. Because evntually you know where tracking leads: To 'reassessment of staffing needs'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 08:30 AM
 
13,052 posts, read 7,922,671 times
Reputation: 24950
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Me too, 30 years ago, when we just did our jobs, and followed procedure. No productivity tracking aoftware unjustly comparing part-timers to full-timers, none of that nonsense. Because evntually you know where tracking leads: To 'reassessment of staffing needs'.
Well yeah, if a cashier isn't being productive then there should be some reassessing. Why keep an employee in a job they can't do?

I don't get how you think it unfairly compares part timers to full timers. Its based on the average time each individual customer spent at the register. If you are doing your job correctly, you'll be just as productive with 100 customers as you are with 1,000 customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:10 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top