Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 02:18 PM

917 posts, read 1,379,916 times

Advertisements

The neighorhood walmart by my house is new and they only have about 3 cashiers, the rest are "self check out".Self checkouts are nice and convenient but this also seems like an easy way to steal a few extra things. They rarely have someone monitoring them. I like self checkouts but most of the time prefer a cashier because self check out starts with "check you bagging area" if it doesnt sense me bagging something or theres an item I cant bag (like a 12pack of sodas) and then I have to wait for someone to come and enter their code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 05:48 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,748,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
The neighorhood walmart by my house is new and they only have about 3 cashiers, the rest are "self check out".Self checkouts are nice and convenient but this also seems like an easy way to steal a few extra things. They rarely have someone monitoring them. I like self checkouts but most of the time prefer a cashier because self check out starts with "check you bagging area" if it doesnt sense me bagging something or theres an item I cant bag (like a 12pack of sodas) and then I have to wait for someone to come and enter their code.
You do realize that you don't have to actually put the item in a bag, right? You can just set it on the platform where the bags are. I use self checkouts a LOT, and depending on what I'm buying, I just set the item there, finish, and go. In fact, I was just at Lowes buying some paint, and I scanned the can, set it on the platform, paid, grabbed my can and receipt (no bag required) and left.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:50 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,874,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I never understood why anyone uses checks anymore. But whatever, to each their own.

If this was really an issue the stores would address it. The reality is that the issue lies with the inpatient individual who just can't wait for it to be their turn.
OP has made this fact known in several threads concerning other topics.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

I consider those things First World Problems.

I don't let those kinds of things bother me.

You win!

Old 01-13-2015, 06:20 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,322,984 times
"Self checkouts. " are not the answer to the problem. I have talked to workers at a big box store near us where they have implemented them in a big way over the last year. She said they have people ringing up and walk out with out paying ALL the time. They replaced the cashiers with one woman who is expected to deal with issues at all 8 self serve registers at once?! No wonder they have dashers

Old 01-13-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
As a customer, I like for lines to do one thing--move. Period. Over time, I've come not to be upset at the cashiers, but those particular customers who do things that hold up the line. The cashier can't help the situation, they're doing the best they can, it's the customers who are the problem.

The types:

(1) They don't have any of their money or cards etc ready. They've had all that time to get it out, but they don't, and then they have to dig through every last pocket. Sometimes they even have to go to their vehicle AFTER they're already at the point of paying.

(2) They count out a huge amount of change for paying so they get none back. Why is it such a big deal to get change back vs all of it being bills? So what if your item is $5.62 and you get $4.38 in change back from your $10? Is it really going to kill you that much? Sitting there painfully and slowly counting out 62c so you get back an even $5 is not worth the time it takes holding up other people.

(3) Lottery ticket purchasers. I don't know why that is, but they take a whole lot longer than just paying for a soda and getting gas. There should be a separate line just for lottery tickets.

(4) Cigarettes--same thing. They're locked in a cage behind the counter and it takes awhile for the clerk to find the exact one out of dozens of options, and by the time they go, unlock the glass, fetch it, and come back, and then the customer gripes and moans about being ID'd when it's not the cashier's fault, and they have to run to their car to get it--ugh. Buy your cigarettes at a tobacco emporium.

(5) Buying like 50 items in a place like Family Dollar or Fred's. Okay, there's no policy saying you can only buy 5-10 items, but really, 90% of the people in a place like Fred's or Family Dollar etc are there to buy, say, 5-10 items, maybe 20 at the most. I've heard them say they go in there figuring they'll get in and out faster than they will in Walmart, and those check-out lines aren't long enough to hold that much. Going in there buying like 50 items, sometimes more, just holds up things. That's for WalMart, if you ask me.

(6) Arguing about a 20c discrepancy in a price. Okay, maybe the principle is the thing, but on the practical side, wasting that much of my time over 20 freaking cents--come on. Stop griping, pay the 20c, and shut up already.

(7) The ATM card doesn't work. Stop fussing about the machine being picky. Go prepared. Order another card that's fresh, or draw the money out from an ATM. Going in there KNOWING is likely to reject your card, and then complain when it does, and REFUSING to order a new card when they're free anyway--it's silly. Get another card already, it's no big deal to do so and it will fix the problem. Stop being stubborn.

Thoughts?
Your problems lie not with the process but with the whole of humanity. Every one of us impede you in some fashion and if we currently aren't you seemingly conceive some wrong being directed toward you.

Don't ever expect instant attention at a hospital ER unless your heart is rupturing, you are spewing blood from some appendage/orifice or pushing a baby out from between your legs. There are lot of people there at all times of the day or night because they don't go to see a GP...the ER is their GP. Most of them are in front of you and you will wait your hours as will they no matter what your problem may be. If you flip out at an ER, cops can/will take you away in bracelets.
I had to go to an ER last month as I developed an infection after having surgery. I waited for a few hours in pain while those with sniffles were seen and sent home but was eventually seen and admitted into the hospital for a week.
That was last month and I am still alive. I guess the process works.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:25 PM

917 posts, read 1,379,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"Self checkouts. " are not the answer to the problem. I have talked to workers at a big box store near us where they have implemented them in a big way over the last year. She said they have people ringing up and walk out with out paying ALL the time. They replaced the cashiers with one woman who is expected to deal with issues at all 8 self serve registers at once?! No wonder they have dashers

I've gone go to self checkouts and there's still stuff showing on the screen asking for my form of payment ... Meaning person who used it before me likely took off without paying.. One time I bought a few groceries & a pack of gum but the gum didn't scan.. I didn't notice till I got home & saw the receipt

Old 01-13-2015, 07:37 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,134,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
As a customer, I like for lines to do one thing--move. Period. Over time, I've come not to be upset at the cashiers, but those particular customers who do things that hold up the line. The cashier can't help the situation, they're doing the best they can, it's the customers who are the problem.

The types:

(1) They don't have any of their money or cards etc ready. They've had all that time to get it out, but they don't, and then they have to dig through every last pocket. Sometimes they even have to go to their vehicle AFTER they're already at the point of paying.

(2) They count out a huge amount of change for paying so they get none back. Why is it such a big deal to get change back vs all of it being bills? So what if your item is $5.62 and you get $4.38 in change back from your $10? Is it really going to kill you that much? Sitting there painfully and slowly counting out 62c so you get back an even $5 is not worth the time it takes holding up other people.

(3) Lottery ticket purchasers. I don't know why that is, but they take a whole lot longer than just paying for a soda and getting gas. There should be a separate line just for lottery tickets.

(4) Cigarettes--same thing. They're locked in a cage behind the counter and it takes awhile for the clerk to find the exact one out of dozens of options, and by the time they go, unlock the glass, fetch it, and come back, and then the customer gripes and moans about being ID'd when it's not the cashier's fault, and they have to run to their car to get it--ugh. Buy your cigarettes at a tobacco emporium.

(5) Buying like 50 items in a place like Family Dollar or Fred's. Okay, there's no policy saying you can only buy 5-10 items, but really, 90% of the people in a place like Fred's or Family Dollar etc are there to buy, say, 5-10 items, maybe 20 at the most. I've heard them say they go in there figuring they'll get in and out faster than they will in Walmart, and those check-out lines aren't long enough to hold that much. Going in there buying like 50 items, sometimes more, just holds up things. That's for WalMart, if you ask me.

(6) Arguing about a 20c discrepancy in a price. Okay, maybe the principle is the thing, but on the practical side, wasting that much of my time over 20 freaking cents--come on. Stop griping, pay the 20c, and shut up already.

(7) The ATM card doesn't work. Stop fussing about the machine being picky. Go prepared. Order another card that's fresh, or draw the money out from an ATM. Going in there KNOWING is likely to reject your card, and then complain when it does, and REFUSING to order a new card when they're free anyway--it's silly. Get another card already, it's no big deal to do so and it will fix the problem. Stop being stubborn.

Thoughts?

I can really identify with 1, 3, 5, and 6..lottery buyers are pretty terrible people, but those cigarette people are the biggest pain in the ass on earth...like, no matter which pack the cashier puts their hand on when they turn around, it is ALWAYS the wrong pack...ALWAYS...and then these clowns have to stand there going back and forth with each other for another 8 minutes asking "duh, dis pack right here?...duh, no, the slims...right here?.... duh, no, the ones in the green box...duh, you mean the 300's?....duh, no, the green ones with the gold trim....you want the ultras?..no just the regulars...you had your hand on it...right here?... no, right below that...oh this one?"......

its like OH MY FACKING GOD!...youre going to die of lung cancer from embalming your lungs in a couple of years anyway!...who the fack cares!...for Christs sake, just take one!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:53 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,211,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The worst is when someone actually holds up the entire line because their friend is still in the aisles shopping - not getting an item or two - filling their entire cart! Believe it or not, I actually experienced that. And when I complained to the manager about it, the manager shrugged his shoulders. And then the woman who was holding up the line for her friend threatened to call her husband!

I was like, "Please call your husband. I would love to talk to him. I'll stay here until he comes."
This is the move that instantly sends me into ready for war mode. Too bad Hubby didn't show up. If he is anything like his wife you could have given the store a bit of a show.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,597,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
This is the move that instantly sends me into ready for war mode. Too bad Hubby didn't show up. If he is anything like his wife you could have given the store a bit of a show.
Oh, yeah. I told her to call him up. I was anticipating a fun time for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products