Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 01:30 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Ok, my turn!

I hate it when a cashier tries to get me to her line, as its the next one open. I suppose that is ok, but I happen to walk slowly. I use the cart as a walker, like many elderly people. However, I don't look elderly, so, they assume I can walk at a normal pace. Then, they decide I'm walking too slow, so, they "help" by grabbing my cart and taking it off to their lane. That essentially leaves me with no support, standing there in the middle of a crowded, busy store with no support!

Would a cashier walk up to a customer and grab her walker from her so she could "walk faster"? Well, it amounts to the same thing! There I am, minding my own business, waiting my turn like everyone else, then a cashier decides to "help" by grabbing my cart away from me and rushing off to an open lane, leaving me standing there helpless. Once I almost fell but another customer caught my arm.

Geez....I'm not holding up the line, I'm waiting in the line, then find myself literally assaulted by an over-eager cashier!

Cashiers/grocery store employees ASK the customer first---would you like some help with your basket? Don't just assume they are walking too slow for no good reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 07:36 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
We agee!!!!! I don't like anybody being pissed at me...I do not hold up lines.by by writing a check..I move my A$$..now we moved and I use a credit card...
We don't get nearly as many checks as we do cards. Most of our customers know they can just hand us a blank check but the ones who insist on writing it out and recording it do take longer. Yesterday, I swear, 95% of my customers were the "I have the exact change" people. And they don't. And they get change back. So much for "getting rid of all this change". lol For some reason people think that giving me the "exact change" makes things "easier" on me. Or the ones who, after I have their change in my hand, insist on giving me "exact change". And it isn't.

For some reason I had a LOT of customers coming through the "20 items or less" registers with 40 or more. One had 48! And mostly all little stuff. That didn't make the people behind them very happy, plus there were three of them, together, and each had a lot! I had another customer who was $2 short and would have to "go find the money". I paid it for him just to keep it going. He was so grateful and the people behind him gave me $2. I told them they didn't have to, that it was okay, but they insisted. I always have change in my pocket "just in case". A penny here and there won't kill me.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, my turn!

I hate it when a cashier tries to get me to her line, as its the next one open. I suppose that is ok, but I happen to walk slowly. I use the cart as a walker, like many elderly people. However, I don't look elderly, so, they assume I can walk at a normal pace. Then, they decide I'm walking too slow, so, they "help" by grabbing my cart and taking it off to their lane. That essentially leaves me with no support, standing there in the middle of a crowded, busy store with no support!

Would a cashier walk up to a customer and grab her walker from her so she could "walk faster"? Well, it amounts to the same thing! There I am, minding my own business, waiting my turn like everyone else, then a cashier decides to "help" by grabbing my cart away from me and rushing off to an open lane, leaving me standing there helpless. Once I almost fell but another customer caught my arm.

Geez....I'm not holding up the line, I'm waiting in the line, then find myself literally assaulted by an over-eager cashier!

Cashiers/grocery store employees ASK the customer first---would you like some help with your basket? Don't just assume they are walking too slow for no good reason
Yikes! I would never do that. Don't notice others doing it either but that's mostly because they aren't the most "thoughtful" types. Don't know which is worse...over eager or thoughtless. I will help them unload things onto the belt but I won't 'drag' them to my register.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
We don't get nearly as many checks as we do cards. Most of our customers know they can just hand us a blank check but the ones who insist on writing it out and recording it do take longer. Yesterday, I swear, 95% of my customers were the "I have the exact change" people. And they don't. And they get change back. So much for "getting rid of all this change". lol For some reason people think that giving me the "exact change" makes things "easier" on me. Or the ones who, after I have their change in my hand, insist on giving me "exact change". And it isn't.

For some reason I had a LOT of customers coming through the "20 items or less" registers with 40 or more. One had 48! And mostly all little stuff. That didn't make the people behind them very happy, plus there were three of them, together, and each had a lot! I had another customer who was $2 short and would have to "go find the money". I paid it for him just to keep it going. He was so grateful and the people behind him gave me $2. I told them they didn't have to, that it was okay, but they insisted. I always have change in my pocket "just in case". A penny here and there won't kill me.
you do not look and advise to move to other lines not 20 items or less/here they do and people rarely even bother trying that now. Change is meant to be spent; do you think they should just keep it? I a favor toll lines where those in rush pay for what they want.;i see that has only solution because people are cheap and will make it work by not over crowding them.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, my turn!

These are probably the same people who randomly stop in the middle of the road when no one else is behind them, to motion you on. I've had people do that in front of my own house, except when they stop they are now blocking me from backing into the driveway. It would've been quicker and easier for them to just drive on. It seems like people just have no common sense these days. They are either running you over or stopping for nothing. Whatever happened to just driving and following the rules of the road? I'd ask you if you needed help before ripping the cart from your hands.

Quote:

Hey, do you count 6 boxes of pasta as one, or six? I ask because I count my cart items as one each. If I had 12 yogurts and 3 breads, I would not go in the 12 or less line. Once I was in the store and an old lady behind me had a full cart and it was an express line. I commented that she had way over the limit and she said she had less because she just counts the SKUs. So because she had multiple cases of cat food, water etc all the same items counted as 1 each (but they still got scanned separately because there's no way to tell the self checkout you have 12 of the same item). This caused quite the heated discussion from the line behind her who only had 1-3 items on their lunch break. I took a poll at work when I got back and turned out about 1/4 of my team felt the same as her. I'd never seen that before, to me each item is one unless they are packaged together and you can scan them as such.

Oh and my favorite today, guy letting his toddler punch in his pin on the keypad. Kid was 3-4 years old and had to be told each number multiple times. Not cute at all. Hope the guy changed his pin as everyone that was there now knows it.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
you do not look and advise to move to other lines not 20 items or less/here they do and people rarely even bother trying that now. Change is meant to be spent; do you think they should just keep it? I a favor toll lines where those in rush pay for what they want.;i see that has only solution because people are cheap and will make it work by not over crowding them.
We are not allowed to tell people they have too many items or send them to another register. They can read...I think. The sign SAYS "20 items or less" but some just don't care. And it's a pain when they have a basket full because the express lanes only have three bags that fill up pretty fast so I'm constantly hustling to keep filling bags. And many of them will just stand there and not take their bags. I do that too.

I wasn't complaining about people and their change. I actually think it's funny most of the time and I don't get impatient with them. It can be frustrating sometimes, yes, but human beings are strange creatures and that's all there is to it.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
These are probably the same people who randomly stop in the middle of the road when no one else is behind them, to motion you on. I've had people do that in front of my own house, except when they stop they are now blocking me from backing into the driveway. It would've been quicker and easier for them to just drive on. It seems like people just have no common sense these days. They are either running you over or stopping for nothing. Whatever happened to just driving and following the rules of the road? I'd ask you if you needed help before ripping the cart from your hands.

Hey, do you count 6 boxes of pasta as one, or six? I ask because I count my cart items as one each. If I had 12 yogurts and 3 breads, I would not go in the 12 or less line. Once I was in the store and an old lady behind me had a full cart and it was an express line. I commented that she had way over the limit and she said she had less because she just counts the SKUs. So because she had multiple cases of cat food, water etc all the same items counted as 1 each (but they still got scanned separately because there's no way to tell the self checkout you have 12 of the same item). This caused quite the heated discussion from the line behind her who only had 1-3 items on their lunch break. I took a poll at work when I got back and turned out about 1/4 of my team felt the same as her. I'd never seen that before, to me each item is one unless they are packaged together and you can scan them as such.

Oh and my favorite today, guy letting his toddler punch in his pin on the keypad. Kid was 3-4 years old and had to be told each number multiple times. Not cute at all. Hope the guy changed his pin as everyone that was there now knows it.
Six boxes of pasta = 6 items. If it's a six pack of pasta, it's one item. Each scan equals one item. IF a 24 can case of cat food can be scanned as a case it counts as one item. If you have to scan each can separately it's 24. We can, of course do a quantity scan as long as it's six or more items and are identical...flavor, size, etc.. And it CAN be done at self checkout as well but the attendant has to do it for you.

I see parents letting their kids swipe their cards and put in the numbers, all the time. I think it's silly when they are so little but I don't think it's any big deal. Kids are GREAT at the self checkout. They have got it down better than most of the adults who use them. They are in and out. As for people knowing that guys pin number...what would they do with it without the card number? And vice versa. Although cards are pretty easy to use anymore without a pin number. Just change it to 'credit' and don't even have to sign under $50 and sometimes more. Now THAT bothers me. As a cashier and as a consumer/card holder.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:20 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
We are not allowed to tell people they have too many items or send them to another register. They can read...I think. The sign SAYS "20 items or less" but some just don't care. And it's a pain when they have a basket full because the express lanes only have three bags that fill up pretty fast so I'm constantly hustling to keep filling bags. And many of them will just stand there and not take their bags. I do that too.

I wasn't complaining about people and their change. I actually think it's funny most of the time and I don't get impatient with them. It can be frustrating sometimes, yes, but human beings are strange creatures and that's all there is to it.
Well, who is allowed to tell them? What's the purpose of having express lanes if management doesn't care? What kind of company do you work for that cares so little for the convenience of the majority of its customers in favor of those few who would abuse the system?

Are you really not permitted to redirect those selfish people or is the mind set there "don't worry about it, it's not worth getting involved with?" Is there a preference for customers to confront other customers because store staff refuses to?

Old 01-25-2015, 04:14 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Every store I've ever been in has that policy.
What does get awkward is when an idle cashier calls you into 'her' 20 or less line and somebody comes rushing up behind when you're still unloading half of your 40 items and they have a deli sandwich and a bottle of water and you just know they're on their lunch hour.
It's you that gets the dirty looks, not the cashier.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Well, who is allowed to tell them? What's the purpose of having express lanes if management doesn't care? What kind of company do you work for that cares so little for the convenience of the majority of its customers in favor of those few who would abuse the system?

Are you really not permitted to redirect those selfish people or is the mind set there "don't worry about it, it's not worth getting involved with?" Is there a preference for customers to confront other customers because store staff refuses to?
I work for Walmart and nobody is allowed to tell customers to use another register. It isn't that management doesn't care but you would be amazed at the things people complain about. They'll actually notify corporate and tell them that we "refused" to take care of them. I think we just hope that our customers are more thoughtful than that and can READ.

I actually have had other customers confront some of those less thoughtful people. The one confronted just doesn't care and will get snippy and/or angry. Believe me, as a cashier, I'd be MORE than happy to redirect some of those selfish people but, you know how it goes...the customer is ALWAYS right! And even when they aren't they will still push you to the limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products