Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 08:41 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,006,832 times

Advertisements

It's getting worse. A Dollar General Store today. A young lady with a one item $6 purchase (a small purse/pocket book) is standing at the register with a line building behind her. Cashier is standing there waiting, the young lady is scrolling through what appears to be images of similar items on her smartphone. This goes on for 5 minutes. Now, when I'm involved in a delay like this, I generally like to know what is causing the delay, and a timeframe for which it will be resolved. In this case I have no idea what is going on, so I question what it is we're waiting for. The young lady customer rudely looks at me, and says; "I'm making a purchase". A few more minutes pass. Finally I offer to buy the item for her, to get her out of there. Again she rudely states; "I don't need you paying for me". Then the guy behind me speaks up and says; "Sir you need to calm down, it's not that big of a deal" (A young guy probably trying to score points with the young lady). After 15 minutes of this, I left.

Seems more and more, every little transaction carries the weight and time comparable to spending thousands of dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 06:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
It's getting worse. A Dollar General Store today. A young lady with a one item $6 purchase (a small purse/pocket book) is standing at the register with a line building behind her. Cashier is standing there waiting, the young lady is scrolling through what appears to be images of similar items on her smartphone. This goes on for 5 minutes. Now, when I'm involved in a delay like this, I generally like to know what is causing the delay, and a timeframe for which it will be resolved. In this case I have no idea what is going on, so I question what it is we're waiting for. The young lady customer rudely looks at me, and says; "I'm making a purchase". A few more minutes pass. Finally I offer to buy the item for her, to get her out of there. Again she rudely states; "I don't need you paying for me". Then the guy behind me speaks up and says; "Sir you need to calm down, it's not that big of a deal" (A young guy probably trying to score points with the young lady). After 15 minutes of this, I left.

Seems more and more, every little transaction carries the weight and time comparable to spending thousands of dollars.
Well, he was right; it wasn't a big deal.

Anyone who goes to the store on a Saturday, even a DG, and can't wait in line needs to either shop during the week or learn how to online shop. Waiting in line, delays or not, are a part of life.

I hate waiting in line as well, so I time my shopping to when the store is the least busy; especially during our season when the Qtips like to shop all day, everyday and stand in the aisles yakking or taking their sweet time at the checkout counter.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:49 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,243,908 times
Waiting in line is a part of life, can't deny that. Waiting for some moron flipping through her smart phone or talking on the phone while others waiting is a sign of her feeling that she is more entitled than me. I have spoken up many times, and got some rude replies but my reply back is just a rude. But never had some moron young kid speak up against me...yet. And hope I never do, cause my reply to him (or even a her) will be a two word sentence.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:24 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,468,853 times
Quote:

15 minutes!? I would have been gone in 3. The young lady (not a lady) with the phone should have stepped out of line to finish her phone business. How RUDE!

If this happens to me, I leave, and leave my loaded cart. Sorry (not sorry), but my time is just as valuable as anyone else's.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
Quote:

Checkouts are for checking out purchases. They are not for talking or playing with smartphones. If customers want to talk on their phones instead of being served, more power to them. They are not served.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:29 PM

628 posts, read 695,234 times
It is not always the customer at fault...
I have purchased products on sale when I reached the cashier, the original price is still on
the product, I have to call it to their attention( My reason for watching as they ring up )---not my fault! People who are behind me should understand!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:28 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,173,857 times
I hate standing in line. This is one of the many reasons I really prefer shopping online, if possible.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:34 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,767,820 times
This thread is very timely for me as a cashier at Kroger.

Here is why.

Several months ago when I was working on a very busy Sunday, several customers complained about the long lines, slow cashiers, and the long wait. One of my co-workers had a customer complain about the customer in front of her, who in her mind, was using too many coupons and holding up the line.

So the front-end coordinator, who is over an area of Kroger locations, including the one I work at, came up with a training program for every cashier at the locations she is over. She wants the front-end to operate in a specific way. So one of the young front-end supervisors was responsible for individually training every cashier at the location I work at. The purpose of the training was to train the cashiers to quickly get our customers through the line, quickly scan their groceries, process the customers payment as quickly as possible, and be as efficient as possible the entire time.

Then yesterday at work I had a customer complain to me that the cashiers are rushing the customers out the door when we do this, and that we are being rude when we do this. She told me that she, as a customer, should be able to take as long as she wants while checking out.

So we go from one extreme to the other extreme.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:11 PM

6,566 posts, read 4,960,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Then yesterday at work I had a customer complain to me that the cashiers are rushing the customers out the door when we do this, and that we are being rude when we do this. She told me that she, as a customer, should be able to take as long as she wants while checking out.

So we go from one extreme to the other extreme.
You can't win! My very first job was at a shoe store. 2 of us were extremely proficient at the cash register and were told by the manager that we were rushing customers. In truth we were trying to treat them the way we liked to be treated - they've already shopped and just need to pay and leave!

It's why I do self checkouts wherever possible these days along with Apple Pay.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:34 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,254 times
There is nothing in any store that I would wait in line for 15 minutes. Bye now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products