Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 05:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
5) Buying like 50 items in a place like Family Dollar or Fred's. Okay, there's no policy saying you can only buy 5-10 items, but really, 90% of the people in a place like Fred's or Family Dollar etc are there to buy, say, 5-10 items, maybe 20 at the most. I've heard them say they go in there figuring they'll get in and out faster than they will in Walmart, and those check-out lines aren't long enough to hold that much. Going in there buying like 50 items, sometimes more, just holds up things. That's for WalMart, if you ask me.
Family Dollar prefers a bunch of 50 item shoppers, than a few with 5 items. That one customer, is worth 10 like you.

You think you are so important, that everyone should hurry and let you get in and out quick. Consider there are other people that are shopping, not just you, and you are no more important than the other shoppers ahead of you. In fact, if they are buying 50 items, they are more important to the store than you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 06:27 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Family Dollar prefers a bunch of 50 item shoppers, than a few with 5 items. That one customer, is worth 10 like you.

You think you are so important, that everyone should hurry and let you get in and out quick. Consider there are other people that are shopping, not just you, and you are no more important than the other shoppers ahead of you. In fact, if they are buying 50 items, they are more important to the store than you are.
Yes.

Someone should ask Family Dollar's corporate opinion on customers who like to buy 50 items at a time.

I'll bet my whole paycheck that the response will be positive.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:36 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

... In fact, if they are buying 50 items, they are more important to the store than you are.
I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on that. Those customers who come in every day or so to buy a few items are just as important as the one who comes in once a week and buys fifty items.
For businesses it is not just about the money spent, it is also about how many loyal customers can we attract and retain.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:43 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

I carry a "wallet on a strap" type purse. It's so organized I have no choice but to be organized. Slide card out of spot, slide card in machine, slide card back into spot. I hate those purses so big they can hold everything and the kitchen sink.
I like big, not heavy, purses. But I don't carry that much stuff. A wallet, some pens, gum, lipstick, Kleenex. That is about it. It comes in handy when I have to stuff something else in there. I don't like a crowded purse.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:45 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm in NC and you'll be happy to know that we've modernized now. Gambling is now considered moral as long as someone is gambling for the state sanctioned "North Carolina Education Lottery".

But to get back to the original question, I agree about the lottery ticket purchases that hold up lines. I did see a vending machine in a chain grocery store here recently for lottery tickets, which was a first. As far as crowd control in lines, I think that would be a good idea, at least from a crowd/line management perspective.

One annoyance about lines that I haven't seen mentioned is people who use their debit cards to make small purchases (i.e. a bottle of pop for $1.50). The transaction, swiping, entering of PIN #s, etc. seems to take about double the time that a transaction would take if someone had two crisp dollar bills in their hand, ready to pay the cashier. And I know people will say it's not good to carry cash around, and if it were for a large purchase (i.e. hundreds of dollars, for example), I would agree and could see a place for debit cards. But someone routinely and purposefully not having enough cash on hand to purchase a soda seems a little absurd to me (with the occasional backup of a debit card being understandable). It at least would be better to have a "cash only" line in a store with multiple cash registers and that way the people who fiddle with their debit cards and checkbooks would only have each other to blame for holding each other up.

For the folks telling the OP that this is a trifling matter and life's too short to worry about things like this, maybe it is, but one of the fun aspects of a forum like this is it's a place where we can vent a little and share our pet peeves about different things like this.
I don't even carry a debit card anymore. Too many people in the area have been hacked. I pay with a rewards credit card. I do carry cash for small purchases. I'd feel weird not having some cash on me.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on that. Those customers who come in every day or so to buy a few items are just as important as the one who comes in once a week and buys fifty items.
For businesses it is not just about the money spent, it is also about how many loyal customers can we attract and retain.
Yes. Remember from 20% of your customers comes 80% of your sales. Those who return every day are likely to be the loyals rather than those that buy 50 items in one shopping session.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:45 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
I admit to falling under category 2.

But, sorry I'm not sorry. I HATE coins. They weigh down my wallet, spill all over the place wherever they go, make me sound like Santa, and are a nightmare to deal with if they accumulate. When we moved, my husband and I had to make 5 different trips by bus to the next city to go to Coinstar (we don't have a car). It's a ****ing ordeal. So now I try to avoid getting more coins at all costs (pun intended).

Here are 2 ideas:

1) abolish the penny.
2) ****ing include sales tax in the listed prices like every other logical country.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:30 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Why let them accumulate? Just pull them out and have them in your hand and ready to go when you get to the register. I rarely ever have loose change to deal with at home since I make a point to spend it about as fast as I get it. Better yet just use plastic if coins are too much of a hassle.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
(1) They don't have any of their money or cards etc ready. They've had all that time to get it out, but they don't, and then they have to dig through every last pocket. Sometimes they even have to go to their vehicle AFTER they're already at the point of paying.

(7) The ATM card doesn't work. Stop fussing about the machine being picky. Go prepared. Order another card that's fresh, or draw the money out from an ATM. Going in there KNOWING is likely to reject your card, and then complain when it does, and REFUSING to order a new card when they're free anyway--it's silly. Get another card already, it's no big deal to do so and it will fix the problem. Stop being stubborn.
Photo identification or ZIP Code is required when using a debit or credit card for purchase at points of sale. This is to reduce and eliminate fraudulent use of stolen cards. If the fraudulent user declines to present an identification or ZIP Code to verify the card, the card may trigger a fraud alert.

Customers engaged in conversations on their cell phones are occupied with their conversations and not focused on conducting their business at checkout. Phone conversations can wait for two to three minutes. Banks, health providers and pharmacies require cell phone conversations cease before serving customer or patients due to privacy laws or, with technology, terrorist acts.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:20 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Photo identification or ZIP Code is required when using a debit or credit card for purchase at points of sale. This is to reduce and eliminate fraudulent use of stolen cards. If the fraudulent user declines to present an identification or ZIP Code to verify the card, the card may trigger a fraud alert.
Other than some pay-at-the-pump gas stations, I have never had to input anything when using my credit card. Many of them do require a zip code.
And asking for ID stopped so long ago that I don't even bother signing the back of the card anymore.
As far as the calculator thing mentioned...it wasn't a complaint and rounding up or estimating wouldn't address the issue that was about knowing exactly what your items should total before being rung up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products