Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 11:04 PM

415 posts, read 560,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
As a customer, I like for lines to do one thing--move. Period. Over time, I've come not to be upset at the cashiers, but those particular customers who do things that hold up the line. The cashier can't help the situation, they're doing the best they can, it's the customers who are the problem.

(3) Lottery ticket purchasers. I don't know why that is, but they take a whole lot longer than just paying for a soda and getting gas. There should be a separate line just for lottery tickets.

(4) Cigarettes--same thing. They're locked in a cage behind the counter and it takes awhile for the clerk to find the exact one out of dozens of options, and by the time they go, unlock the glass, fetch it, and come back, and then the customer gripes and moans about being ID'd when it's not the cashier's fault, and they have to run to their car to get it--ugh. Buy your cigarettes at a tobacco

Thoughts?
I can definitely emphasize with the above two items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I've gone go to self checkouts and there's still stuff showing on the screen asking for my form of payment ... Meaning person who used it before me likely took off without paying.. One time I bought a few groceries & a pack of gum but the gum didn't scan.. I didn't notice till I got home & saw the receipt
This has happened with cashiers where they either think they scan it but don't OR forgot it. If you don't watch the receipt or ticker as you go through the purchase, it is easy to not realize the bananas were not rung up.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:26 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
People who insist on bringing the entire extended family on a simple grocery shopping trip. All 7 kids, various aunts & uncles.... grandparents...

Really ?!

Old 01-14-2015, 01:31 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
People who insist on bringing the entire extended family on a simple grocery shopping trip. All 7 kids, various aunts & uncles.... grandparents...

Really ?!
And this has a negative effect on anyone else...how?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:55 PM

917 posts, read 1,384,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This has happened with cashiers where they either think they scan it but don't OR forgot it. If you don't watch the receipt or ticker as you go through the purchase, it is easy to not realize the bananas were not rung up.
& most people arent paying attention to the cashier as he/she is scanning everything. Usually, Im putting the bags theyve filled in my cart while theyre still scanning stuff. (another plus for people who do this because it makes the line go buy a tiny bit faster)

Old 01-14-2015, 03:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
What I see, the OP and a few others are so into themselves and think the world out to revolve around them and to heck with other people. The resent the fact, that there is not one check out line held for just them. They should only shop at off hours when there are few customers such a all night stores at 3a.m. when no one else would be checking out ahead of them.

They grab maybe 3 t o 5 items at the most, and feel no one with a bigger order should be ahead of them.

Their feeling of importance, is disgusting.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:46 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbelvis View Post
This is why I don't swipe my card until they are done ringing stuff up. I have it ready so I don't hold up the line but won't swipe it first. If the above happened to me I would have just walked out of the store leaving her to void everything out. I've done it a few times! So now the comments about people who walk away after stuff is rung up. I'm not going to argue with the cashier. If they screw me over I leave. I know when I am right.

The comments regarding ringing items up one by one. Years ago when I worked in retail and we first got auto replenishment from what was scanned through the registers the company actually disabled the quantity key. I know it sucks and it bugs me to this day. But some workers aren't bright enough to understand how to use the quantity key properly so the best course of action is to disable it. Or fire them. I would opt for the later but sadly it would mean 90% of the employees fired as most don't care and are clueless.
Well, the main thing is, she was not paying attention, speaking into a hidden phone and just picking up the "separating bar", continuing on to the next customer's items. I caught her as she rang up their first item, which was a giant package of diapers! At Walmart, there is no savings card to swipe and wouldn't be paying until I am told the total. I had not bought a lot, but wanted my stuff after having spent time collecting it, sans their diapers.

Come to think of it, I actually don't recall what occurred as far as the transaction, but I think that another checker who summoned the manager, helped take my items over to where the manager re-rang them, leaving the original checker to deal with the "aborted transaction". (Frankly, I've hardly ever shopped there, since it is not nearby and overall, has not been so pleasant).

Old 01-15-2015, 03:49 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Well, the main thing is, she was not paying attention, speaking into a hidden phone and just picking up the "separating bar", continuing on to the next customer's items. I caught her as she rang up their first item, which was a giant package of diapers! At Walmart, there is no savings card to swipe and wouldn't be paying until I am told the total. I had not bought a lot, but wanted my stuff after having spent time collecting it, sans their diapers.

Come to think of it, I actually don't recall what occurred as far as the transaction, but I think that another checker who summoned the manager, helped take my items over to where the manager re-rang them, leaving the original checker to deal with the "aborted transaction". (Frankly, I've hardly ever shopped there, since it is not nearby and overall, has not been so pleasant).

That it resulted in anything is strange since, if the order had not yet totaled, all she had to do was void the item from the tape.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:15 AM

Well, I've read through the posts up to this point. I don't know where some of you guys live and shop, but I really don't see this sort of thing. Most of the time, like 95-98%, I get through any line rather easily and quickly, with courteous checkers and around other courteous customers. I don't see the "lottery ticket, cigarettes or cases of beer people" (except at a gas station), OR those otherwise holding things up, generally. Maybe stores I frequent are managed well, have efficient checkers and organized customers, I don't know. (One store does perpetually poorly, DOES have lines, a couple of checkers available, some stocking issues and I usually avoid it.. but still).

Yes, there are those customers...you see 'em.. walking up to the registers, tense, with a look of despair, ..holding a bottle of wine or a cake from the Bakery... or spaghetti, a jar of sauce and bread. They have expectations, resentful that others are buying groceries for a family or for the week. There are always those times that I will tell one to "go ahead" as others have offered me, yet if it has been a long day and I feel tired and one has an attitude behind me, I will continue loading my stuff to get out of there.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 01-15-2015 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: A silly 'ol typo.. thanks iPad. ; )

Old 01-15-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
That it resulted in anything is strange since, if the order had not yet totaled, all she had to do was void the item from the tape.
No, I guess you had not read my original post on that incident..it was at a Walmart. I guess she had totalled it after the diapers, which were not mine, expecting me to pay for everything and then, go "stand in line at customer service" for a refund, the same as she had done with the woman before me, (who actually wandered off to do so).

Again, it was a while ago and I can't recall... I know I would not have paid for an unwanted item in the first place, so there would not have been a reason to "have it removed", so I get what you are saying, but she was unwilling to anything else so we were at a standstill, which prompted my demanding to see a manager, who came and helped to repair and finalize my purchase. (Yes, I could have just walked out, but there had been something I needed and didn't want to go through another trip). I have never seen anything like this checker, and felt as if I was being "punked", or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products