U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,120 times

Advertisements

Yes most of time I shop online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 08:55 PM

607 posts, read 1,190,925 times
Nope. I'm too impatient. When I want something, I want it NOW. Not days from now.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:47 PM

32,767 posts, read 33,730,068 times
I rarely shop online. I prefer going to stores for things that I need. The only things I buy online are some of gifts for my nieces & nephews who don't live in my area and it easier to buy online rather than having to go to the post office after buying stuff at a brick and mortar store.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:26 AM

10,542 posts, read 5,801,194 times
It depends.

First of all, I am strongly driven to be anti carpet bagging, to spend money in my own state if not my own city. So often I will buy in town, in state.

But there are items here and there that are not carried at the store or are carried in such low numbers that I have to go on line and order, such as galvanized steel shelving......and maybe powdered milk soon (depends on how my foraging proves out).

Powdered milk has to be bought on line??????? While the situation hasn't panned out to that option yet, here's how it has worked out so far. The store in question has the only large box for the right price available. As a limited use item (how many people do you know who use powdered milk?), they don't have that many units on the shelf. New Year's Day, I picked up a large box only to discover at the check out that it was leaking in the bottom and didn't buy it. A week or two ago, I went to get a new box only to find that the box I wouldn't buy....had been placed back on the shelf. I think I'm trapped here by the "Just In Time" computer inventory system in that box may remain there, despite what I point out, until it is bought, depriving me of access.

So the plan is to check the local store again, if not them, then one in a neighboring city, and if that doesn't work, then start ordering through the web site.

Back to the main point. When I'm shopping on Amazon, usually for books, video-audio entertainment, or A/V equipment, I'm rather political and safe about my shopping. I won't buy from states with radical gun control policies like New York. If there is a site there with a store in state (and hence, obligated to charge me sales tax), I am likely to give them preference even if their price is slightly higher.

While it hasn't happened in a while, I won't buy, say books, from sites where that are potential subversive. That is, should they be investigated and their mailing lists seized, I'd rather not have my name show up there.

So to sum it up, things you can commonly get at a store, no, I buy local.

Things not so common, like precious metals, usually have to buy on line.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:21 PM

384 posts, read 460,429 times
It depends

Anything that is hard to find items online is awesome for that.

Most of the items I need ended buying it online, because no stores carry it. When they do have it, the price is 3 x more than online.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:22 AM

10,542 posts, read 5,801,194 times
Well, just changed what I said a few days ago slightly.

My back pack is about to give up the ghost, but I don't have time for days to go to the store.

So, in this case, I let the Net play the assistant that I don't have. Get me a replacement.....it ought to be here next week.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:13 AM

20,521 posts, read 26,706,288 times
Sadly this is going to cause a lot of empty retail/commercial stores. I just saw something on TV about malls being turned into apartments. We seem to be in changing times and more and more are shopping online.

I like to see what I am buying with some things before I buy it. Unfortunately that has not been going well lately. My Dh and I are remodeling and decorating/furnishing a home. I am so sick and tired of stores not having anything I like or just not stocking the items. We have wasted so much time going to stores for things and come out empty handed. So yes I do a lot of shopping online.

Drapes from Homedepot.com, an area rug from Lowes.com, comforters from bedbathabdbeyond.com, multiple items from walmart.com and amazon. I would much rather sit and look at things online than waste my time driving to a crappy store.

Returns have also been very easy. Either I return the item to the brick and mortar store or as with Amazon UPS comes and picks it up for free.

Most times I have enough to get free shipping. With Walmart if I don't I can always add dog food or coffee.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:43 PM

980 posts, read 595,548 times
I shop online frequently... just as much as I used to 10 years ago. But it's a lot of excess paperwork. I can't wait until the resolve the issue with sales taxes.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 PM

4 posts, read 1,900 times
Online Shopping has made our hectic lives easier. Citizens around the world can gain more information about products and services that are available abroad. These potential customers can browse online shopping catalogues without putting effort on travel time. You can buy ladies clothes and accesories online at affordable prices. So i would prefer online shopping specially for clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or