U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 03:05 PM

9,814 posts, read 16,229,011 times

Advertisements

I find myself doing much of my shopping online. Its just easier than the hassle of driving to the mall, park, wander around, stand in line, etc, etc. I also find many more bargains online, when I combine sales, discount codes, free shipping, etc.

I usually shop online for all our clothes. I just find a better selection of sizes, colors, availability, etc. However, when it comes to small appliances, etc, I prefer to buy from the store so I can take it back readily if it doesn't work.

Now I read that many major stores are closing several branches, expecially in the lower-performing areas. Stores such as Macys, JCP, are closing many locations. Sad sign of the times Used to be shopping was an experience. We'd even get dressed up! I remember going downtown with my mother and grandmother, ride the bus, eat lunch with the "ladies", enjoy looking at the displays, etc It was as more an outing than a chore. Now, sadly, I find myself trying to just get in and out ASAP. I don't carry a purse, just a small wristlet, keep looking over my shoulder, decline to try on stuff in the fitting rooms, avoid the bathrooms, usually feel uneasy due to fear of being mugged, purse stolen, etc.

Also, I like getting fresh stuff ordered online, not shop-worn items that have been handled by who knows who? I truthfully think online shopping, at least for clothes, is the new way to go. WDYT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:32 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,171,572 times
Seldom. I still prefer brick 'n' mortar but it depends on what I'm buying. I also hate the bother of returning stuff back.

I don't like to buy clothes without trying them on first, so online clothes shopping for me is out of the question. I do sometimes buy clothes for my husband, though. He doesn't have a need to see-feel-try like I do.

Some of the Christmas items this year were bought online because I had no clue where to find them in stores locally.

I buy a lot of cds. I like to support the local music store but they don't always have what I want.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,829 posts, read 56,199,418 times
You should have seen the pile of flattened, empty cardboard boxes in our house around Christmas before recycling day. Other than a few gift cards in the stockings, everything bought this year was from Amazon. I hate shopping anyway and refuse to go near any retail stores around the holidays.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:05 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,186,898 times
YEP...love Amazon...and since all we have is Walmart within miles and miles..I will probably be doing it more..for things I would have never bought on line before we moved here...I just bought some sprout seeds from Amazon to make my own sprouts...Clothes not so much because of the weird sizes....I have to try those on...and I hate shopping in stores...

Old 01-11-2015, 11:10 AM

460 posts, read 729,198 times
Yes, I buy almost everything online these days, except for groceries. It's so much more convenient to compare products/prices, find exactly what you want, read product reviews, and buy a variety of different things that would require trips to multiple stores. Amazon is where I go first to look for virtually everything. You can even buy furniture on Amazon and have it delivered for free.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:03 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,402,643 times
The stores in our town are carrying fewer and fewer items. Our super Wal-Mart even suggests buying it online. I got tired of Amazon and buy very little because they take too long to ship anymore unless you submit to the $99.00 club thing and they are closing the warehouse in our state putting a lot of workers out of work. I am using Wal-Mart combined with Vita Cost to purchase most of what I was getting from Amazon and Sierra Trading Post for clothing/shoes. I added DrugStore.com to the mix this week. It just seems that Amazon isn't as interested in doing business as the others.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:16 PM

2,291 posts, read 5,027,100 times
Yes, I purchased at least 50% of my Christmas gifts on line...worked out well!

Old 01-13-2015, 12:06 AM

28 posts, read 20,980 times
Yes most of time I shop online.
It's really easy and convenient. So except that I go to Walmarts for groceries, I shop online.
Anyone who tried Walmart online store?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:00 PM

9,814 posts, read 16,229,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleS View Post
Yes most of time I shop online.
It's really easy and convenient. So except that I go to Walmarts for groceries, I shop online.
Anyone who tried Walmart online store?
The walmart online I've found to be a bit of a hassle, especially if you want something in a timely fashion. They send you a text when your order is ready to pick up, but when you get there they can't find it NTW, I just went over and found more right there in stock, but then, never could get the original purchase off my account, so, took it, too, although I really didn't need/want two! I figure if you have to go to WM to pick it up, you might as well shop there and just get it there, their system is flawed for their online/pickup in store!

Old 01-14-2015, 04:25 PM

6,616 posts, read 3,623,701 times
Amazon Prime mostly for me. I also shop online on many other sites.

I know I am part of destroying the fabric of what consumerism was built on - people with jobs at brick & mortar locations. But I can get almost anything I want on Amazon cheaper and at my door in two days. I need to watch my own wallet more then concerning myself if me not going to the store may be part of the cause of someone losing their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or