U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:02 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,506,200 times

Advertisements

^^^ lmfao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,829 posts, read 56,199,418 times
Power tools that either people buy and use once-twice, or have a minor problem that I can easily fix but doesn't work so they sell it cheap. Examples are welder, compressor, chipper, tiller, riding mower. The riding mower I got for $50 and all it took to fix was to remove the carburetor bowl and place the gasket on correctly before reassembling. Would have been over $1,000 new.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:17 PM

130 posts, read 131,774 times
Some of our best used purchases have been our cars, instruments for the kids (CL), various clothing. I try to stay open to possibilities whenever they happen.

We do have access to cheap or free used books. I put my germaphobic tendencies aside and gratefully take advantage of those opportunities, unless they just look totally gross. Several of our bikes have been free as well.

The things I wouldn't want used are fabric covered furniture (mattresses, sofas, etc), and constantly running appliances (like the refrigerator). My parents almost had a fire in their home from a second-hand refrigerator. They said they would never buy one second-hand again; that memory has stuck with me.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:30 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,006,070 times
Let's see. I have always enjoyed buying things used whenever I could find them in a good condition and at a good price. This is especially true in retirement.

Some of the major things I recall buying used during my life include:

Real estate:
1. A small mobile home and lot while going to college.
2. 1400 ft2 brick home in west Texas.
3. 2100 ft2 rancher home in Maryland.
4. 2200 ft2 2-story home in New Mexico.
5. 1800 ft2 farm house and barns on acreage in west Texas.

Cars and trucks:
1. Numerous cars and trucks from a '53 Chevy, '56 Ford to 'new/used Toyotas, F150s, a Sierra, an Accord, a Jaguar and others. I've probably had around 35 or so vehicles during my driving life.
2. 9 or so antique and recent model motorscooters for the grandkids and for resale.
3. 35 or so antique tractors and equipment for personal use and for resale when I get tired of them.

Other stuff:
MANY books (we had a bookstore), many tools, much furniture, many appliances, light fixtures, doors, windows, several computers, musical instruments, auto parts and pretty much anything else you can name. . . A good guitar is like a good wine. They age with grace and in taste.

It would have been much easier to list the major things I have bought new. One minivan for my wife and one Ford Ranger truck right out of college.

I know this is more than anyone wants to know but you ask.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:02 AM

Don't get me started on tractors, h_p_r!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Don't get me started on tractors, h_p_r!!!!!!!!
Sometimes the engineering in these old tractors amaze me. To think it was all drawn out with a pencil and a straightedge on a drawing board without the use of computers is sometimes unbelievable. I suppose I have always been drawn to the engineering of the past, i.e., tractors, cars, machinery, musical instruments, etc. I seem to have inherited the interest from my grandpa (1876-1965), an old fashioned auto mechanic turned Texas gunsmith. As a kid, I've watched him build intricate gun parts at his old roll-top desk with a rat-tail file and a vice.

But back to buying used things. I also enjoy garage sales, antique shops and flea markets. I've never found a tractor at one I could buy but they are fun in the warmer months.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:13 AM

32,747 posts, read 33,720,335 times
I don't particularly like to buy used items since I have gotten many used items for free in my life.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:36 PM

HPR we are thinning our herd, Dm me if you need a classic Cub Cadet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2015, 08:33 PM

CCc girl,

Those are cute tractors to be sure. I've seen a few of the old IH Cub Cadets around here but mostly in the hands of collectors that don't want to sell them.

The smallest IH tractor I've had is a IH Farmall 560 that we inherited from my wife's parents. I restored that tractor somewhat but I didn't keep it (pic attached). At the time we only had 5 acres in town and the tractor was much too large. We now have the small hobby farm (20 acres) and I find the small N-series Fords, or the slightly later Jubilee NAA, is perfect to keep it up. I've had as many as five tractors at one time but usually, after I restore one, someone comes along and offers me a big wad of cash and I sell. Right now I'm down to a single 1952 Ford 8n (unrestored) that we picked up near Dallas this past Christmas. I've also attached pics of a couple of other 8ns and a Jubilee I've had and refurbished.

I really like the looks of the little IH Cub Cadets. Right now we have a 23-HP Craftsman lawn tractor for use around the house and barns. It has a Kohler engine just as the original Cub Cadets had. Kohlers are just about indestructible. We've had our Craftsman for almost 15 years and it still starts and runs like new, even though it has only been used in some very harsh west Texas mowing environments.

I don't know if I will tackle any more tractor restorations. It's been a lot of fun but I'm getting where I can't see very well and I spend more time looking for tools than using them. It's frustrating but I guess it's all part of getting old. Darn!

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 05-01-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 02:25 PM

40,062 posts, read 48,942,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What Items Do You Like Buying Used?

Almost anything except food.
Same here. You can find great buys on quality mdse at resale stores, estate sales, garage sales, etal.
CD's these days go for .50 cents to $2.00, DVDs $1.00 to $3.00. Goodwill sells CDs and DVD's from 1-2 dollars and on half day sales what a deal you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or