U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 12:02 AM

14,376 posts, read 21,048,697 times

Advertisements

I write a 1-star review on Yelp and never visit the business again.
Dave B.'s Profile - Reviews | Yelp
32nd West - Highland - Denver, CO | Yelp
Bubba Chinos - Wheat Ridge, CO | Yelp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 06:48 AM

15,001 posts, read 12,203,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
For certain items there are signs at the mdse, signs at the register, the register display has a prompt reminding customers the items are non-refundable, and it prints on the receipt. If a customer doesn't fully understand perhaps they should ask before leaving the store?
Not to mention, who explains it to the customer doing a self checkout or online purchase?
J. C. Penney's is a classic example of people that think they are entitled to online prices in store. Recently I think I have been behind one of these customers every time I shop. Five or ten minuets go by while the customer engages first the sales clerk and then the supervisor. I am angry because I only have one or two items and I have the cash to pay. The customers debating the sale price have stomped out vowing to never return - I don't know if they meant it or it was a ploy to get their own way? But the store obviously has communications problems that customers think they are going to get deals and don't get them.

If your having problems with customers over a pack of cigarettes; then maybe you should explain the store policy while selling them? The idea is not to have angry customers. Anger does not make repeat customers.

Sometimes it is just psychology. When I first had my shop; I promised customers cheaper and quicker than I actually thought was possible. I made customers angry when they got their bills and their equipment was not ready on time. I learned and I changed with time. I found out it was better to tell customers that it would take longer and cost more than what I actually expected. Yes; some customers went to competitors. But most waited and expected the price I quoted them. When I called them early and told them their equipment was ready and that the repair cost less than what I told them; I had happy customers and they told other customers.

I know that there are many jerks in the world today. But see what you or your company can do to keep your customers happy - it will pay in the long run.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:10 AM

11,121 posts, read 14,796,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If your having problems with customers over a pack of cigarettes; then maybe you should explain the store policy while selling them? The idea is not to have angry customers. Anger does not make repeat customers.
It's a federal law, not a store policy. I shouldn't have to explain that to every single person who buys a pack of smokes, nor should I have to explain to teenagers or drunks why I can't sell them beer (and they get angry too).
The point is that a lot of the time the customers who are angry are simply upset that they can't get what they want just because they want it, reasonable or not. Legal or not. And they love to use that anger, and the threat of taking their business elsewhere, to try to bully or intimidate the stores into making exceptions.
I will bend over backwards for a legitimate problem, but I find that more often than not those are usually easily resolved and seldom result in the fist shaking, foot stomping, "I hate this store" scenario of the OP.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:50 AM

13,054 posts, read 7,925,463 times
There are a few places I won't go to anymore. Two were because they accused me of committing a crime. If they think I'm a criminal, then obviously they don't want my business. Plenty of other places to shop and eat at that don't act like I'm a horrible person.

One store I don't go to because while I was standing in line waiting to pay for my items I realized I left my wallet in my car (I was trying to be good and have my payment ready). So I put my items down on the endcap (there were 4-5 people in line in front of me). As I was heading for the door to go out to my car, the cashier yelled at me to come back. She then told me that she needed to search my purse before I leave because "they don't just let people walk out of the store without purchasing anything." I explained that I was coming right back, I just needed to get my wallet to be able to pay for my items I wanted. I even pointed otut where my stuff was sitting on the end cap. When she continued to insist that she needed to search my purse before I could leave the store I asked her if she was accusing me of stealing. She told me she knew I was stealing because it didn't look like my purse was empty even though I claimed to not have my wallet. Well yeah... I don't just keep a wallet and nothing else in my purse. So, I talked to the manager, emailed/called corporate to complain, but they all had the same excuse of "Well, the cashier is just trying to protect the store's profits... shop lifting is a major problem..." Wow... great customer service, telling customers that they're criminals.

Then there was a restaurant that I had an emailed coupon for a free meal the month of my birthday. When I went to use the coupon they told me that I had created a fake coupon because it was in black and white and not printed out in color. I explained to them that I had a printer that only printed out in black and white, and no where on the coupon does it say it must be on coupon. The cashier told me I needed to be able to prove that I was unable to print out in color... how I was supposed to prove this, I don't know... She told me that she would do anything to get free food, so I should do the same. Yeah... sorry, I'm not that hard up on money that I need to jump through your hoops and be accused of being a criminal in order to get a free $6 burrito. The girl at the register was apparently the manager, so I left and called corporate to complain. They told me they would email me a new coupon... But since I wasn't going to go out and buy a new color printer, it was pretty much useless.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:23 PM

24,319 posts, read 33,562,588 times
One of the worst things you can do if you're complaining to a store or restaurant manager about bad service is to threaten to never shop or eat there again. I guarantee that most of them are thinking to themselves, "Good. Then I won't have to deal with you anymore."

Old 01-18-2015, 07:38 PM

11,605 posts, read 20,763,655 times
I've had bad service, I've never been accused of a crime! If I have a bad experience at a store or restaurant it does irritate me but I don't necessarily write them off - I'll give them another chance (dependent on the situation of course) - I wouldn't immediately Yelp - not sure how much weight that carries.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,926,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There are a few places I won't go to anymore. Two were because they accused me of committing a crime. If they think I'm a criminal, then obviously they don't want my business. Plenty of other places to shop and eat at that don't act like I'm a horrible person.

One store I don't go to because while I was standing in line waiting to pay for my items I realized I left my wallet in my car (I was trying to be good and have my payment ready). So I put my items down on the endcap (there were 4-5 people in line in front of me). As I was heading for the door to go out to my car, the cashier yelled at me to come back. She then told me that she needed to search my purse before I leave because "they don't just let people walk out of the store without purchasing anything." I explained that I was coming right back, I just needed to get my wallet to be able to pay for my items I wanted. I even pointed otut where my stuff was sitting on the end cap. When she continued to insist that she needed to search my purse before I could leave the store I asked her if she was accusing me of stealing. She told me she knew I was stealing because it didn't look like my purse was empty even though I claimed to not have my wallet. Well yeah... I don't just keep a wallet and nothing else in my purse. So, I talked to the manager, emailed/called corporate to complain, but they all had the same excuse of "Well, the cashier is just trying to protect the store's profits... shop lifting is a major problem..." Wow... great customer service, telling customers that they're criminals.

Then there was a restaurant that I had an emailed coupon for a free meal the month of my birthday. When I went to use the coupon they told me that I had created a fake coupon because it was in black and white and not printed out in color. I explained to them that I had a printer that only printed out in black and white, and no where on the coupon does it say it must be on coupon. The cashier told me I needed to be able to prove that I was unable to print out in color... how I was supposed to prove this, I don't know... She told me that she would do anything to get free food, so I should do the same. Yeah... sorry, I'm not that hard up on money that I need to jump through your hoops and be accused of being a criminal in order to get a free $6 burrito. The girl at the register was apparently the manager, so I left and called corporate to complain. They told me they would email me a new coupon... But since I wasn't going to go out and buy a new color printer, it was pretty much useless.
Neither of those scenarios would have happened, or even be allowed, at my store. Even if we really DO suspect someone of shoplifting we are never allowed to confront them. That's what security is for. I'd be mad if someone did that to me! I've had customers have to go to their car for money AFTER everything is rung up. Sometimes I'll suspend it and take the next customers and sometimes I'll wait...if they aren't parked way out in the South 40 and we aren't busy!

Shoplifting IS a major problem. In 2013 we lost over $600,000 in thefts. For 2014 it was over a million! And that's just for OUR store. No wonder our bonuses have shrunk! We were told that a LOT of it goes out through the self checkouts. I have caught people trying to 'cheat' at self checkout but only a couple. Maybe I'm not vigilant enough but when you're working with someone at one scanner, with your back turned, I suppose it could happen.

Internet coupons can be tricky sometimes. Some printers print out very dark and the CPU lines are 'smeared' but that's why we have a way to enter them manually. If everything else matches we enter it. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with black and white vs. colors. That's silly.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:37 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,926,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Plenty of people out there who use the old' the customer is always right' to justify their bad behavior or outrageous expectations and for those customers, we are generally happy to see them go. They can be a headache for someone else for a while (but in reality they usually come back sooner or later)
This is so true. And yes, they usually DO come back.

Trying to think of any time I've had truly bad customer service and can only come up with one incident. I went through the drive through of a fast food joint one day and ordered a chicken sandwich. Got it, paid for it, got home and...NO chicken! I didn't bother to call or anything. But I didn't go back either. Not necessarily because I didn't get my chicken but because I very rarely ever eat fast food.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 480 times
Hello guys, I am Donna Lin from Bangladesh. Just joined into this sites. I always love to talk with the newly people. I think you too. Thanks for the time!! Donna

Old 01-21-2015, 01:24 AM

13,575 posts, read 6,934,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I know people who stopped shopping at a store/supermarket as the result of having a very bad experience with customer service, such as an argument, or whatever request not getting a satisfying resolution. The point is, the store/market used to be their favorite or main place to buy stuffs regularly. Then, like children fighting, they tell themselves "I will never have business with you again!" But I bet the store doesn't care if this was an isolated case. Whose loss is it?
The store may not care for an isolated case, but I've found that customer service issues are rarely isolated. If one person is having a bad experience with customer service, generally others are, too. But if people don't show their frustration in the most powerful way available (i.e. with their wallets), then management will never get the picture. Of course, any such action by customers would be most successful primarily if there are other alternatives for shopping, etc.

Having written that, I've gladly boycotted and encouraged others to boycott (via word of mouth and via online reviews . . . while I don't overestimate my "power," I am a top reviewer with Tripadvisor, and establishments, especially those with relatively few reviews, do not like receiving bad reviews as it can have an impact on their business) restaurants and other establishments where I've received poor service. That's the main tool that we as consumers have and is one that I'll willingly exercise where warranted. Still, its very rare for me to boycott an establishment as I generally receive acceptable service wherever I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or