U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 06:10 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,558,132 times

Advertisements

Today, I did an online booking at a certain US airline. When I got to the online section where they ask for payment, I entered my Visa debit card info and finished the various confirmation steps. Once I pushed the last button/step, then the screen bleeped and I received an on-screen message saying the funds were declined. There is plenty of money in my account to cover the airfare. So, I immediately checked my bank account online and the ticket amount has already been deducted, but in a pending status. I checked my email, and I have no e-ticket confirmation there. Nothing. So I called the bank to have them check the pending transaction. They said the airline hasn't "claimed" the money for the ticket yet. When I called the airline, they said the bank hasn't released the funds yet. I feel like I am getting the runaround, since no one at either place can really explain what has happened with this transaction. I am going on my fifth phone call between these two places, and I am getting no where. Ready to pull my hair out! I book online travel frequently and have never had this happen before.

Just venting, thanks for reading! Next step, speak to a manager. I am done with the customer service reps at both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 06:59 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,417,475 times
Yep. ANY airline could do that (along with a lot of other businesses).
Yet another reason to NOT use a debit card!

The pending will release soon and the transaction should go through (since the money is there).

Old 01-15-2015, 08:47 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,558,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yep. ANY airline could do that (along with a lot of other businesses).
Yet another reason to NOT use a debit card!

The pending will release soon and the transaction should go through (since the money is there).
Yes, I guess I won't be using my cash account for this kind of thing anymore. But I did end up finding a very helpful airline supervisor on the later shift who actually knew exactly what to do. As it turns out it was on the airline's end---not the bank. This and another airline merged recently, and this supervisor told me that many people have had their online ticketing hosed up because of credit and debit card transactions getting hung up in their system. Their "default" message when this glitch happens is 'declined." Now they have to send a fax on their letterhead to my bank with all the details to get the bank to place the money back in the account, and out of "pending" status. Then we are going to start over with the ticketing. Keeping my fingers crossed the same thing doesn't happen. At least they're holding a spot for me at the same price for a few days until this first transaction is all reversed.

What a customer service disaster though...I must have spoken to 10 different people between these two parties until I finally found someone who knew what to do, took the time to explain what happened, and very thoroughly explained how it would be fixed.

Onwards and upwards!

Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,417,475 times
Phew! You went through plenty!
Hope it all works out soon, and that you have a great trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or