U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 AM

10,095 posts, read 7,359,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My grocery bill today seemed high..I'm pretty good at adding up what I've spent in my head.

When I got home, found I'd been charged almost $5.00 for something I didn't buy -- over a pound of dried ancho peppers. Not an item I ever buy.

I went back to store. Seemed the checker had put in the wrong code for the 1.02 pounds of tomatoes I'd bought and didn't remove the wrongly coded item--the ancho peppers. At least that was what customer service said before they refunded my money.

From now on, my receipts will get the eagle eye once over.

Has this ever happened to you?

I'm hoping it was an honest mistake...
I had tomatoes I bought a number of years ago in a grocery store rung up as a Frasier fir Christmas tree. I hadn't bought a lot of items and nothing especially expensive but that grocery receipt total was about $50 or so more than I expected it to be. The cashier ( who I can only think was new on the job, and judging from her attitude about the incident, not suited to the job either) was skeptical when I pointed it out to her, and insisted on checking my bags ( to see if I indeed HAD purchased a Christmas tree-as if I'd buy one in July, and it would fit in a shopping bag????). She knew it was a mistake, but she wanted to see what I had that was missing on the receipt because it was rung up as a Christmas tree, and she informed me that I would owe the store the money for that item! We determined that it was some tomatoes on the vine that had been rung up as the Christmas tree. I agreed with her I owed the money for the tomatoes but told her she had to deduct the money she'd charged for the Christmas tree from the bill, I wasn't paying for a Christmas tree I hadn't bought. For some reason she didn't get that, she just wanted the additional money for the tomatoes- and our disagreement over it came to the attention of a couple other cashiers, who came over to see what was happening. They understood what had happened, informed her that she needed to deduct what I'd been charged for the Christmas tree, but they were laughing at the mistake ( as I was), and the cashier got even more hostile. After she deducted the money from the bill, she imperiously informed me that I owed money for the tomatoes, and that's when the other cashiers started laughing even harder than they had been, and informed her of the store policy about items rung up with an incorrect price being free to the customer. She really was piZZed at having to let me have those tomatoes for free, and the other cashiers were still laughing and poking fun at the whole thing when I left the store.

I still think of that incident when I buy tomatoes on the vine, but it really does point out the importance of checking your receipt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:11 PM

9,814 posts, read 16,233,038 times
I feel I have been deliberately overscanned, especially at HEB, when my children were younger. The cashier would fuss over the kids, get them all hyped up, give them free coloring books, etc, all the while distracting me from watching the scanner. I often found double-scanned items when I came home. No, I wasn't able to stand there and go through 10+ items with 2 hyped up kids!

Someone told me cashiers are rated at how many items they scan/min, regardless of the price. So, if a customer has 100+ items, its easy to distract them and double-scan an inexpensive item 2-3 times, improving their stats. I finally once told them to stop, and re-scan the whole order, and found many, many mistakes, all while they were playing pee-a-boo with my kids. I just either stopped shopping there, or left the kids home, or went somewhere else.

But yes, you do have to watch that scanner!

Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM

13,054 posts, read 7,925,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
How can you watch the scanner while you are unloading your buggy full of groceries and having to get your check written out ahead of time so someone behind you doesn't have a cow, etc, etc, etc,........? I would love to but it just isn't possible. Could someone please explain and no, I don't have or want a debit card.
When I worked as a cashier I had a few customers who would ask that I not ring up their items until they had all the groceries unloaded from their cart. Which is fine when its slow, but when it was busy (a Saturday afternoon or 6pm on a weekday), I always thought it was rude of the people to want to hold up the line like that. Especially since it always seemed to be the people who had their carts overflowing with items, and took 5 minutes to unload it all. I would usually try to politely tell the people that I can't hold up the line and I would scroll through the screen once everything was rung up if they thought the price seemed off. Some people would be fine and understand and others would get angry and insist that I needed to wait. But at least for the ones that insisted, the other customers saw that I wanted to keep things moving along.

And like another poster said, fill out your check before so that you only need to fill in the amount. Just fill it out in your car before going into the store, or take a moment before going up to the registers once your shopping is done to fill it out.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:56 PM

9,814 posts, read 16,233,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
When I worked as a cashier I had a few customers who would ask that I not ring up their items until they had all the groceries unloaded from their cart. Which is fine when its slow, but when it was busy (a Saturday afternoon or 6pm on a weekday), I always thought it was rude of the people to want to hold up the line like that. Especially since it always seemed to be the people who had their carts overflowing with items, and took 5 minutes to unload it all. I would usually try to politely tell the people that I can't hold up the line and I would scroll through the screen once everything was rung up if they thought the price seemed off. Some people would be fine and understand and others would get angry and insist that I needed to wait. But at least for the ones that insisted, the other customers saw that I wanted to keep things moving along.

And like another poster said, fill out your check before so that you only need to fill in the amount. Just fill it out in your car before going into the store, or take a moment before going up to the registers once your shopping is done to fill it out.

Too bad, so sad....the customer isn't there for your benefit, you're there for their's. If a customer comes in with an "overflowing basket", well, unless there's some sort of item limit, like on the express lines, its the cashier's job to process it. I don't blame customers for asking them to hold scanning until they were finished unloading, so the customer could watch the scanner, I do that. Perhaps, instead of fuming about the customer actually buying stuff in the store, perhaps you or another clerk could help unload stuff so it goes faster.

And, like I said earlier, quit the yakking, cooing over the kids, etc. Shopping is serious business. For many households, its the second-largest expense next to mortgage/rent. I put a lot of time, effort, planning, etc into my shopping, its not some sort of game. The checkout is the "finish line". When I'm spending $300-$400 of stuff, you better believe I'm going to watch the tally. Like the cashiers don't go over their bills? Guess they just pay whatever for electric, phone, etc, etc, so they won't hold things up? What about the opposite? What if I walked out of the store with an unpaid item, albeit low-price? You can bet they would be right after me with a cop in tow

Grocery shopping is serious business, cashiers, realize that!

Old 01-20-2015, 02:01 PM

7,213 posts, read 8,371,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My grocery bill today seemed high..I'm pretty good at adding up what I've spent in my head.
I was always good at that too...now the supermarket plays the music so loud, it's a real challenge to keep my mind on what the balance is so far. Can't help but wonder if it's done on purpose!

Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,508,306 times
I always check my receipt before I leave the store - yes there have been mistakes made - but the store ended up giving me a free roasting chicken and a bag of ground coffee to compensate.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:15 PM

6,120 posts, read 5,527,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Too bad, so sad....the customer isn't there for your benefit, you're there for their's. If a customer comes in with an "overflowing basket", well, unless there's some sort of item limit, like on the express lines, its the cashier's job to process it. I don't blame customers for asking them to hold scanning until they were finished unloading, so the customer could watch the scanner, I do that. Perhaps, instead of fuming about the customer actually buying stuff in the store, perhaps you or another clerk could help unload stuff so it goes faster.

And, like I said earlier, quit the yakking, cooing over the kids, etc. Shopping is serious business. For many households, its the second-largest expense next to mortgage/rent. I put a lot of time, effort, planning, etc into my shopping, its not some sort of game. The checkout is the "finish line". When I'm spending $300-$400 of stuff, you better believe I'm going to watch the tally. Like the cashiers don't go over their bills? Guess they just pay whatever for electric, phone, etc, etc, so they won't hold things up? What about the opposite? What if I walked out of the store with an unpaid item, albeit low-price? You can bet they would be right after me with a cop in tow

Grocery shopping is serious business, cashiers, realize that!
Did you even read the post you quoted? The cashier mentioned holding up the line( concern for other people), nothing to do with her work load. I did not see anything about her complaining that people are shopping in the store. I have always had time to empty my cart while the cashier is scanning the person in front of me. I avoid empty registers so I have time to unload.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:21 PM

10,542 posts, read 5,801,194 times
Well, A and B.

A: I keep a running tally in my head when I shop. It's a trait/skill I've done for decades. So when I get to the check out and the total comes up, I'm pretty sure we are on the same page or, if not, I should be checking.

B: When it comes to produce, I print out a bar label and put it on the protective bag.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:28 PM

2,749 posts, read 1,003,462 times
I usually buy the same things, so I prepare my list and total cost at home. If I decide to add more things, I write them on my list and then I'm prepared for the final price at checkout. When I don't have a list or paper/pen, or my phone's calculator,I add things up in my head to get the general idea of what it should be.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:53 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,953,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
How can you watch the scanner while you are unloading your buggy full of groceries and having to get your check written out ahead of time so someone behind you doesn't have a cow, etc, etc, etc,........? I would love to but it just isn't possible. Could someone please explain and no, I don't have or want a debit card.

I do try and sit down somewhere before I leave the store and review the tape register if I can.
At my store, we don't have to unload the cart. It wheels right up to the register, and they pull items directly from the cart and scan.

And I don't write checks. I don't carry checks. I hate checks. LOL
If you don't want a debit card, then use a credit card and just pay it off with the check you would have written in the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or