U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,366,687 times

Advertisements

I mentally add up the prices when I'm putting them on the conveyor, rounded off to the nearest half dollar. If the total comes out within a buck, I don't check anything. If it seems just a little bit high, I pay and then check the register slip before I leave the store, so I can go back if there's a mistake. At HEB, there's never a mistake, but at WalMart, there is at least one overscan almost every time, when the register scans a higher price than the one that's on the shelf. And only one inconveniently located produce scale, so you can't calculate in advance how much your purchase will be.

At HEB, there is a produce scale where customer bags produce and puts it on a scale, punches in the number, and prints out a sticker to attach to the plastic bag, which scans at the register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 11:15 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,758,048 times
I watch the till like a hawk and I actually hope they make a mistake. Almost all food stores here have a policy that if it's rang in incorrectly it's free!!!!

Old 01-21-2015, 01:16 AM

36,770 posts, read 11,097,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
What do you mean label and weigh? The cashier still has to weigh and put in the item code. Does your grocery store differ?
Yes. Wegmans has digital scales throughout the produce department and each display has a produce number. You weigh the items in one of those baggies, enter that number, print out the label, then slap it on the baggie. The cashier simply scans the UPC code printed on the label.

It saves time, too, because many cashiers can't identify some of the produce. And when I get .99/lb cooking onions, I don't want them ringing up 1.99/lb Spanish onions.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:32 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,226,427 times
Stop & Shop lets you weigh and tag your own produce, they have a few self-serve label-scales in that aisle just for the purpose. They also have self-serve scanners - so you can bring your own bags, scan each product you want and put it in the bag instead of your shopping cart, and when you're done shopping, to to the self-serve scan-it register, scan a bar code at that register, and it brings up your entire cart's worth of stuff on the register. You just put the scanner in the slot, pay, and leave. You can use coupons too.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:43 AM

6,772 posts, read 5,404,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Yes. Wegmans has digital scales throughout the produce department and each display has a produce number. You weigh the items in one of those baggies, enter that number, print out the label, then slap it on the baggie. The cashier simply scans the UPC code printed on the label.

It saves time, too, because many cashiers can't identify some of the produce. And when I get .99/lb cooking onions, I don't want them ringing up 1.99/lb Spanish onions.
I guess the days of the produce test are over? When I worked at HEB zillions of years ago, the checkers had to take a test each week on veggie identification. They have a flip chart they will use if they get stuck, but like someone else said, at HEB, they rarely do. the employees at ours have been there forever.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:48 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,491,373 times
I eyeball the receipts and if something is on sale I usually try to bring it to the attention of the cashier. I've caught a few errors now and then.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:19 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,909,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Same. I can't remember the last time I had a cashier check me out at the grocery store.
When I have a "rain check" for a sold out item I have to use a live cashier.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:16 AM

36,770 posts, read 11,097,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I guess the days of the produce test are over? When I worked at HEB zillions of years ago, the checkers had to take a test each week on veggie identification. They have a flip chart they will use if they get stuck, but like someone else said, at HEB, they rarely do. the employees at ours have been there forever.

Oh, yeah. That went out with "counting back" change.

Cashiers do have those flip-charts, but first they have to identify the produce lol. Chard seems to cause a problem. They usually just ask what it is. Onions are another holdup--Spanish, cooking, Vidalia, sweet, red...they're different prices. I simply find it easier and faster to bag and label it. The cashiers like it too.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 7 days ago)

15,463 posts, read 8,969,043 times
Walmart is very bad about scanning items wrong. I know because I keep an eagle eye out for the correct prices and I have a good memory for numbers. They most common problem I've found is when they put an item on sale and the item rings up the original price when it's scanned. Another problem is when a similar but more expensive item is placed on the wrong spot on the shelf. Sometimes this is done by customers, but other times, the employees have done this. I've even seen a large selection of items on a display that were replacing a cheaper display, then they didn't change the price.

About 18 months ago, they put up a large display of fans. They were marked $20. It was a good deal, so I decided to buy one. When I went to the checkout, it scanned $40! I complained then. It didn't seem fair to have to pay twice as much for an error on Walmart's part, and they never offer customers a discount for scanner errors. After talking to the manager, they agreed to honor that price. Now that I only shop at Walmart occasionally and only buy a few things, I have noticed much fewer errors. I don't know if they have made a concerted effort to reduce these or if I just have to deal with fewer errors because I buy a lot fewer items. I miss the days when each item was marked with individual price tags. That system made it much easier for customers to track the correct price of items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
ADDENDUM: Love, love, love HEB. The employees are so friendly and nice. I never have to wait in line, no matter how many items I have. Great prices, and I don't have to have a frequent flier card They'll take my groceries out for me if I ask them to and keep the carts rounded up. The HEB brand food is pretty good, even. And if I need to make a return, they don't bat an eyelash. I don't like self checkouts. Our world is automated enough as it is.

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 01-21-2015 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Status: "Rep field comments seem to elude me..." (set 17 days ago)

1,239 posts, read 1,081,142 times
Holy cow!! I just paid $3.99 for a loaf of Freihofer sliced Italian bread! Four bucks for a loaf of sandwich bread? Is that normal? Mea culpa for sure...I should have checked. I rarely grocery shop for bread & just checked the web site to see if that price is within normal range. Can't find it & it would cost more in gas (& patience!) to go back. Lesson learned & shame on me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or