Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:59 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Holy cow!! I just paid $3.99 for a loaf of Freihofer sliced Italian bread! Four bucks for a loaf of sandwich bread? Is that normal? Mea culpa for sure...I should have checked. I rarely grocery shop for bread & just checked the web site to see if that price is within normal range. Can't find it & it would cost more in gas (& patience!) to go back. Lesson learned & shame on me!
Yes, that is normal. Regular store brand white bread might be 1.50 on sale.

Brand name - forget about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 12:03 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if you shop at any large chain stores,,,,all the pricing is "host support" (one centralized location)

its all downloaded automatically.....
then the stores put the signs up

often there are more mistakes on dsd (direct store delivery) items , such as chips, soda, beer/wine any local produce, there is always going to be human error , so it is wise to double-check,,,, they don't do this stuff on purpose

punching in wrong produce codes seems to be quite common

as one poster said, he watches as it is scanned
As a cashier I thank you for that. We definitely don't do things "on purpose". I usually catch my error as soon as I do it. Sometimes I'll accidently hit a number next to the one I meant to hit and have to fix it. I watch all that stuff as it scans too.

The other day I was charged double for something. I have the receipt and have to go get my money back today. Our scanners are sometimes really sensitive and will double scan stuff but only beep once so if you're not watching you'll miss it. It happens more often than I like. To me and my customers.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
My store gives you the item free if it rings up wrong. A great incentive to watch the screen as the cashier scans.

Largest error I've caught was something similar to yours where they rang me up using the wrong item code. I can't remember what the incorrect item was but for several heads of napa cabbage I was charged like $30. I was like whoa whoa, hold up!
I have a good one. I once scanned a little bag of cookies...maybe 5 or 6...that cost 58 cents. It rang up $58! They had two bags but one rang up the correct amount. When they paid we both wondered why it seemed so high and started looking. Imagine our surprise! lol I felt bad that they had to go stand in line at Customer Service to get it fixed.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That's why I always weigh and label my own produce at the digital scale. The less human intervention at the checkout counter, the better.
Why would you have to label your produce? The majority of it has CPU numbers we enter. Most stores have those hanging scales in their produce departments. The scales at our registers are digital and much more accurate. Do you think the humans at checkout counter are 'out to get you' by overcharging you? Don't know why they'd want to benefit the company that way. Now, if it benefits me....! lol

Edited to add: After reading down a bit further I see what you were talking about. I wish Walmart would let people weigh, label and put their own stickers on.

Last edited by AZDesertBrat; 01-21-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I've always found the most common mistake ringing up groceries, or for that matter non-food items in a big-box store that were advertised on sale, but which were rung up at the regular price at the cash register (ie, the regular price,not the sale price for the item is in the store's computer,) . In my experience anyway, that's generally involved a hassle as the cashier usually wants to verify the sale- can't blame him/her for that- so that holds up the line, people get impatient ( I've been called a liar and cheapskate by some of those folks behind me for wanting a sale price on an advertised item), as the cashier waits for verification of the sale price. I've even had one or two cashiers who claimed the item was not on sale, and insisted on charging the regular price that came up on the register. I've insisted on seeing a manager those times, when I knew the item was on sale. If the cashier insisted, and I knew the item was on sale, I've handed it back to her and walked out of the store without it. No sale.
What's on sale and what isn't can be an every day hassle where I work. We match other stores ads and are glad to do it but recently we stopped getting the ads. If a customer tells me that XXX is on sale at ________ for $X I have no other option but to believe them. Some people bring their own ads and I hope we start getting them again soon.

An item scanning the wrong price should NOT be such a "hassle". Unless it's an amount that I don't feel comfortable with...or is over my max limit to give...I won't bother with a supervisor. One of my biggest frustrations, as a cashier, is prices that scan wrong. There can be any number of reasons for it. Since the computers are set from a 'far away place' we have no control over it. Sometimes things get missed and sometimes things are NOT where they are supposed to be. We've had to give people a good deal on items that some other customer dropped into a similar display of lessor cost items JUST BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE SIGN SAYS. One thing I will say though, considering how many gazillion items a big box store has on hand and scans every single day I think it's pretty amazing that things work as well as they do. It could certainly be worse!

Here's one for you. A lady brought me a set of sheets that scanned $19.99. She told me that was wrong and it was $10.00 on the sign. I didn't argue with her and let her have them but later I went and checked the sign. They had piled the sheet sets so high all you could see was the TOP of 9s in the number and it WAS $19.99. So she got a deal because of that. But it's that kind of stuff that frustrates me sometimes.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I guess the days of the produce test are over? When I worked at HEB zillions of years ago, the checkers had to take a test each week on veggie identification. They have a flip chart they will use if they get stuck, but like someone else said, at HEB, they rarely do. the employees at ours have been there forever.
I've never had to take a "produce test" but I learned most of those numbers pretty fast. The first one I memorized was bananas. lol We also have the chart at the registers in case the UPC number isn't there. We also have a picture chart on the register. No excuse to not put in the correct numbers. I DO have some problem with apples. Way too many kinds but even some of those I know.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Oh, yeah. That went out with "counting back" change.

Cashiers do have those flip-charts, but first they have to identify the produce lol. Chard seems to cause a problem. They usually just ask what it is. Onions are another holdup--Spanish, cooking, Vidalia, sweet, red...they're different prices. I simply find it easier and faster to bag and label it. The cashiers like it too.
I would like that too! I have no problem identifying the item but sometimes have a problem finding the UPC number, especially on items with those twist ties. But it chaps my hide to have someone tell me, "Oh those are peaches", or whatever the item is, when I'm looking for the number. Well, duh! I KNOW they are peaches but we have three different kinds and need the correct number!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:45 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
Also another tip:
Make sure you check all the transaction in your Debit Card when the transaction comes. I was charged $70 for a dating site, which I was not aware I ever perused. I am not single.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:48 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I would like that too! I have no problem identifying the item but sometimes have a problem finding the UPC number, especially on items with those twist ties. But it chaps my hide to have someone tell me, "Oh those are peaches", or whatever the item is, when I'm looking for the number. Well, duh! I KNOW they are peaches but we have three different kinds and need the correct number!

Right!

Old 01-21-2015, 01:56 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
That's archaic. At my self checkout stations it is all touch screen. Select "Enter item by Name" is one of the options. It dynamically filters so I never have to enter more than 2 or 3 letters. If I type "on" it'll show the matching options (probably varieties of onions) with corresponding picture. Or type "ja" and select the jalapenos option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products