U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:40 PM

12,080 posts, read 2,263,224 times

Advertisements

I've gotten a $50 organic watermelon and a $13 turnip. The coop where I shop is the best about correcting their errors. I didn't notice the price of the watermelon until after we'd cut it, and they just gave us cash for the whole thing when we went back in with the receipt -- a free 15 pound watermelon. If you live in greater Seattle, PCC is the place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 06:37 PM

15,807 posts, read 9,056,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My grocery bill today seemed high..I'm pretty good at adding up what I've spent in my head.

When I got home, found I'd been charged almost $5.00 for something I didn't buy -- over a pound of dried ancho peppers. Not an item I ever buy.

I went back to store. Seemed the checker had put in the wrong code for the 1.02 pounds of tomatoes I'd bought and didn't remove the wrongly coded item--the ancho peppers. At least that was what customer service said before they refunded my money.

From now on, my receipts will get the eagle eye once over.

Has this ever happened to you?

I'm hoping it was an honest mistake...
Just wondering....why would it NOT be an honest mistake? Checkers don't get a percentage of what they ring up... what would they have to gain? Laughing with their coworkers on a smoke break?

Old 01-21-2015, 07:08 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,271,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's archaic. At my self checkout stations it is all touch screen. Select "Enter item by Name" is one of the options. It dynamically filters so I never have to enter more than 2 or 3 letters. If I type "on" it'll show the matching options (probably varieties of onions) with corresponding picture. Or type "ja" and select the jalapenos option.
Cashier registers are not the same as the self service ones.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:23 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,105,700 times
I was once charged for a pineapple I didn't buy. They gave me my money back.

I've also had cashiers who rested their hands on the scales when they weighed the produce.

When I was in school, I worked as a cashier. I accidentally charged a guy for 22 baskets of strawberries when he only had two, and that's all he bought. He happily paid, and neither of us realized my mistake at that point. He came back to me a minute later, and we both had a laugh. He got his money back, of course.

That job gets boring after awhile, and my mind would drift. Just be nice if your cashier made a mistake. Most likely, they did not do it on purpose.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:25 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,105,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That's why I always weigh and label my own produce at the digital scale. The less human intervention at the checkout counter, the better.
Just realize that a lot of people use and abuse the scales in the produce department, so they aren't always accurate. They're more of a guide. And if the kids are playing with them, don't count on any accuracy.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:57 PM

36,770 posts, read 11,091,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
Just realize that a lot of people use and abuse the scales in the produce department, so they aren't always accurate. They're more of a guide. And if the kids are playing with them, don't count on any accuracy.
Lol, are you kidding? The only thing there's more of than scales in the produce department, are Wegmans employees stocking, arranging produce, and giving out samples. They're accurate, and no unattended kids are "playing" with them.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:02 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,271,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol, are you kidding? The only thing there's more of than scales in the produce department, are Wegmans employees stocking, arranging produce, and giving out samples. They're accurate, and no unattended kids are "playing" with them.
That is one chain...most aren't like that. I may use a scale...once you find it...for a very rough estimate if I cant eyeball it...but i don't expect it to be accurate.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:16 PM

36,770 posts, read 11,091,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
That is one chain...most aren't like that. I may use a scale...once you find it...for a very rough estimate if I cant eyeball it...but i don't expect it to be accurate.

It must be the pits to not have access to stores with accurate digital scales. Hopefully, you've notified the store manager(s) and, if necessary, your state's Department of Weights and Measures.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:34 PM

13,052 posts, read 7,922,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Too bad, so sad....the customer isn't there for your benefit, you're there for their's. If a customer comes in with an "overflowing basket", well, unless there's some sort of item limit, like on the express lines, its the cashier's job to process it. I don't blame customers for asking them to hold scanning until they were finished unloading, so the customer could watch the scanner, I do that. Perhaps, instead of fuming about the customer actually buying stuff in the store, perhaps you or another clerk could help unload stuff so it goes faster.
As I said in my post you quoted, I did not care one way or another if a customer asked me to wait till they unloaded their cart before I started ringing them up. If we were slow, I was happy for the checkout process to take a little longer, because otherwise I would end up re organizing the gum and candy for the hundreth time. It was just during busy hours when other customers would get annoyed that I wasn't scanning their items, so I wanted to be able to move the line along and get everyone checked out as quickly as possible.

Have another clerk unload their cart for them while we were extremely busy? Yeah, if there was an extra person standing around, we'd put them on a register. Not really a lot of room in the check out lanes for two people to be trying to unload the cart. And its been my experience that a lot of people like to unload their cart a certain way to ensure that certain foods are bagged together. They would not like a random stranger unloading their cart for them.... which I am also fine with. I am not fuming over any of this... I was probably the most easy going cashier at the store I worked at.

Quote:
Like the cashiers don't go over their bills? Guess they just pay whatever for electric, phone, etc, etc, so they won't hold things up?
Who said they don't? I check my bill and if the price doesn't sound right when they give me the total I'll have them double check a price.

Quote:
What about the opposite? What if I walked out of the store with an unpaid item, albeit low-price? You can bet they would be right after me with a cop in tow
If you were stealing? Yeah... why would they just let you start stealing from the store?

Most stores aren't trying to steal from you when a cashier puts in an item code wrong or the price is wrong in the system. Its usually just a mistake that they are glad to easily fix.

Sometimes the price tags are wrong on the shelf. I was at Target a few months ago and they had a chair that is normally $85 marked down to $8. My SO figured it was a price mistake, but since the bar code on the box matched the bar code on the sale sign, I went ahead and stuck it in our cart. Someone was going to get that chair at a deep discount, so why not me? When I got to the register I asked the cashier about the sign saying it was $8... he scanned the box, but it came up as $85. I wasn't going to argue, but a manager that was standing near by came over and said to give it to us for the $8. He said he had already radioed back to the furniture department a few times telling them to remove the sign as it was a misprint, but since they hadn't done so yet they'd sell it to us for the price on the tag. I kind of felt bad for buying the chair so cheap, but like I said if I didn't buy it then someone else would have.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:56 PM

917 posts, read 1,085,047 times
Nothing huge. Just a pack of gum that the cashier forgot to scan. I didn't notice until I got home & saw my receipt. Usually while they're ringing me up, im putting the bags in the grocery cart to speed up the line. I don't think Wal Mart will go bankrupt for giving me a free pack of gum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or