U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:04 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's archaic. At my self checkout stations it is all touch screen. Select "Enter item by Name" is one of the options. It dynamically filters so I never have to enter more than 2 or 3 letters. If I type "on" it'll show the matching options (probably varieties of onions) with corresponding picture. Or type "ja" and select the jalapenos option.
All of our registers and self checkout scanners have touch screens with pictures. I don't have to type in any letters, just touch the pic. However it's a LOT faster if I can just punch in the numbers and our screens don't have everything on them either. Most, but not all. For those we have the flip charts. I rarely use either the touch screen or the charts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,925,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Nothing huge. Just a pack of gum that the cashier forgot to scan. I didn't notice until I got home & saw my receipt. Usually while they're ringing me up, im putting the bags in the grocery cart to speed up the line. I don't think Wal Mart will go bankrupt for giving me a free pack of gum
No, and they wouldn't chase you out the door or call the cops either! I've had people get to their cars to unload and find something they'd missed under a purse or something and come back to pay for it. It kind of renews my faith in human beings and I thank them for it. It could be a pack of gum, a block of cheese or a steak!

The other day security DID stop a guy with a large bag. He had been walking around the store just nonchalantly putting things into that bag and when we totaled it up it came to around $1,000. Mostly small electronics. Wow! Some folks are really nervy.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:23 AM

4,446 posts, read 3,691,019 times
Just the other day paid $5.94 for 6 small limes that were on clearance. All 6 were bagged in a clearance bag but when scanned it prompted cashier to enter number of items. Normally you would enter 1 as it was all in one bag and on clearance. But she entered 6. Didn't notice error until got home. Returned them and purchased 3 fresh (non-clearance) limes for $1 total.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 5 days ago)

15,437 posts, read 8,958,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Also another tip:
Make sure you check all the transaction in your Debit Card when the transaction comes. I was charged $70 for a dating site, . . . I am not single.
That doesn't stop a lot of people from perusing dating sites

Old 01-24-2015, 02:07 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,072,495 times
I always watch at checkout and I go over receipt before leaving store. On many items the code is on label that is scanned now days even produce. Apples for example at my store are huge variety besides the organic now days added to it. I most ften find a sale has not been entered into programed price scanner.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:51 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,357,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My grocery bill today seemed high..I'm pretty good at adding up what I've spent in my head.

When I got home, found I'd been charged almost $5.00 for something I didn't buy -- over a pound of dried ancho peppers. Not an item I ever buy.

I went back to store. Seemed the checker had put in the wrong code for the 1.02 pounds of tomatoes I'd bought and didn't remove the wrongly coded item--the ancho peppers. At least that was what customer service said before they refunded my money.

From now on, my receipts will get the eagle eye once over.

Has this ever happened to you?

I'm hoping it was an honest mistake...
Funny you ask. A similar thing happened to me last month involving high priced produce that I didn't purchase, it was wrongly coded by the cashier who is actually one of the store managers. I went back the next day and the manager was working the customer service area and remembered me and apologetically credited my card and comped the correct item.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 PM

3,310 posts, read 3,651,841 times
I got Jelly Bellys today and asked how much they were. She didn't know the code to ring them up, so she guessed and it came up as cashews. So I pointed that out and she did it right and that saved me .14. But then after I left, I realized she rang up my parsley as cilantro so I got charged an extra .30. Boo!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:00 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,091,728 times
I started something new this year since I am determined to be more of a wise spender. What I do now is go into any store with a calculator so I can add up everything before I get to the cashier. And that will prevent any type of error leading to a over charge before I leave the store.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:07 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,660,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I started something new this year since I am determined to be more of a wise spender. What I do now is go into any store with a calculator so I can add up everything before I get to the cashier. And that will prevent any type of error leading to a over charge before I leave the store.
That works! However, make sure you add tax on taxable items.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:29 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,091,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
That works! However, make sure you add tax on taxable items.
Yeah I got the tax added too when I calculating inside the aisle lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or