Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
What do you mean label and weigh? The cashier still has to weigh and put in the item code. Does your grocery store differ?
It must be differant....because there is no way to label the produce yourself any place I shop. I've had younger clerks ask what something was...but while I do keep an eye on what they key ..it's seldom a problem and normally corrected right there at the register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
How can you watch the scanner while you are unloading your buggy full of groceries and having to get your check written out ahead of time so someone behind you doesn't have a cow, etc, etc, etc,........? I would love to but it just isn't possible. Could someone please explain and no, I don't have or want a debit card.

I do try and sit down somewhere before I leave the store and review the tape register if I can.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
A store I frequently shop tried to implement a system where you wrote the item code on the bags when you bagged bulk items like nuts, seeds, etc., but they stopped the program when too many people were putting the wrong numbers on the bags in order to give themselves a "discount". Conventional items are much less expensive than organic, and only the most eagle-eyed cashiers could tell the difference, so oftentimes customers would not write the organic look-up number on their bags. The produce items usually have an organic sticker or twisty-tie around them to identify them, so that isn't as much of a problem.

It's usually a good idea not to shop a store on the day new sales start. Typically some IT person in their corporate office hasn't entered all the temporary price reductions on the first day. Someone at store level has to send word to them that the item needs to be corrected, and that might take a day.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:22 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Mistakes happen. It's your money - you should check all bills and receipts.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:25 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My grocery bill today seemed high..I'm pretty good at adding up what I've spent in my head.

When I got home, found I'd been charged almost $5.00 for something I didn't buy -- over a pound of dried ancho peppers. Not an item I ever buy.

I went back to store. Seemed the checker had put in the wrong code for the 1.02 pounds of tomatoes I'd bought and didn't remove the wrongly coded item--the ancho peppers. At least that was what customer service said before they refunded my money.

From now on, my receipts will get the eagle eye once over.

Has this ever happened to you?

I'm hoping it was an honest mistake...
Not really, but I have come home with a free turkey and free dog food - so if any mistakes were made - I call it even!

I know I was overcharged 96 cents on two bottles of Italian soda last week, so I just mentally deduct it from the "free" items.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
How can you watch the scanner while you are unloading your buggy full of groceries and having to get your check written out ahead of time so someone behind you doesn't have a cow, etc, etc, etc,........? I would love to but it just isn't possible. Could someone please explain and no, I don't have or want a debit card.

I do try and sit down somewhere before I leave the store and review the tape register if I can.
yep - its a pain.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:28 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:

You can write out the check ahead of time at home and sign it leaving just the amount to fill in.

I go to a register that already has a person or two in line so I can put down the separator and unload while they are checking out. Then i stand there and watch. If it isn't possible, then I take my groceries to a little used area in the store and scan my receipt for errors.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:49 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:

Checks at the register should be outlawed. Its just rude. Pay cash if you can't use a debit card for some self imposed reason.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 AM

348 posts, read 415,719 times
I've been to a couple grocery stores that have item codes you can enter into digital scales near the produce and coffee. One was Wegman's in Pennsylvania, and the other was HEB in Texas. The produce has an item code on the display, kinda like the bulk bins at health food type stores. You put the produce into a plastic bag, take it to the digital scale. Enter the code, and it spits out a label with a bar code you can stick on the plastic bag. Nice system when it works! For folks like me, it saves the cashier from trying to figure out what the produce I have is, look up the code, and punch it in - he or she can just scan it and be done with it.

Speaking of HEB, I often check my receipts as well, but I'm not quite as much of a stickler at the store as I should be. The other day I noticed that the sliced pack of Tillamook medium cheddar showed up on my receipt as more than the shelf price showed. I remembered the shelf price because the "medium cheddar" was almost a dollar cheaper than the "sharp cheddar" slices! In fact, the Tillamook medium cheddar price on the shelf was LESS than the price of the HEB brand cheddar. I was always amazed at this, and was sure to pick up the medium specifically instead of the sharp.
Well, after I saw the price on the receipt, I knew something was wrong. Next time I was at the store, I took a picture of the labels on the shelf and brought that and my receipt over to the customer service counter. They apologized and refunded the difference. Not sure if they're going to lower the price in the system, or correct the label on the shelf. I guess I'll see the next time I go...and I might have to start buying different cheese.

-T.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:15 AM

8 posts, read 7,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
What do you mean label and weigh? The cashier still has to weigh and put in the item code. Does your grocery store differ?

No no, he's talking about the automated check out machines. I like going to those too, they're better because you can see the screen, and see exactly what is what. I also like them because if I go over my budget, I can void an item by myself and it doesn't have to be an awkward interaction of me explaining i can't pay for the soda's she just rung up, and could she please un-ring them up? Not only are they confused by this, but they're always just like "Yeesh, she's poor", and I like to avoid that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products