Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:02 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,542,559 times

Advertisements

F-O-C-U-S people, we're not talking about check writing in the grocery store, we're talking about ring up mistakes.

The other day, I weighed some green beans and I could have swore it was 1 lb. and few ounces. Got up to the register and it was a 1 1/2 lbs. I was disappointed but I just figured I probably looked at the scale wrong or something. But in the future, I'm going to make sure I read it right and calculate how much it should be and if it's too much, say something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 02:17 PM

14,872 posts, read 12,016,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
F-O-C-U-S people, we're not talking about check writing in the grocery store, we're talking about ring up mistakes.

The other day, I weighed some green beans and I could have swore it was 1 lb. and few ounces. Got up to the register and it was a 1 1/2 lbs. I was disappointed but I just figured I probably looked at the scale wrong or something. But in the future, I'm going to make sure I read it right and calculate how much it should be and if it's too much, say something.
I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but I've always found the most common mistake ringing up groceries, or for that matter non-food items in a big-box store that were advertised on sale, but which were rung up at the regular price at the cash register (ie, the regular price,not the sale price for the item is in the store's computer,) . In my experience anyway, that's generally involved a hassle as the cashier usually wants to verify the sale- can't blame him/her for that- so that holds up the line, people get impatient ( I've been called a liar and cheapskate by some of those folks behind me for wanting a sale price on an advertised item), as the cashier waits for verification of the sale price. I've even had one or two cashiers who claimed the item was not on sale, and insisted on charging the regular price that came up on the register. I've insisted on seeing a manager those times, when I knew the item was on sale. If the cashier insisted, and I knew the item was on sale, I've handed it back to her and walked out of the store without it. No sale.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:29 PM

20,868 posts, read 28,239,212 times
No because I either go to the self check or I use the scanner to check out my groceries and I bag as I shop.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:20 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,121,504 times
Yes I have noticed it a lot with sale or BOGO items. I always watch like a hawk. I try to carry the ad with me because many times I have had to show it to the cashier. As someone else pointed out I think they don't always update their computer with the sale prices. I am there on the first or second day of the sale otherwise they are out of the item.

The check writers don't bother me as much as those people that stand there after they have paid and received their receipt. I always stop the cashier from scanning my items until the person moves on so I can see the screen. I have to say I hardly ever see anyone write a check at the grocery store anymore.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:58 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,562,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
...punching in wrong produce codes seems to be quite common...
^Many years ago, I bought a watermelon and the cashier used the mushroom code.

Last month, I bought a can of coffee $6.99, but was charged for two cans. I didn't review my receipt until a few days later & called the store. I usually go grocery shopping once a month but I did have to go back in to get the $6.99 charge reversed on my credit card.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:15 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,162,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Checks at the register should be outlawed. Its just rude. Pay cash if you can't use a debit card for some self imposed reason.
^^^^ Agreed they hold everyone up.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,266,754 times
My bill came out $22.84 over what it should have been just this month. The clerk had taken my frequent-buyer card from me and scanned it (I saw him do it), but for some reason it hadn't registered. I was only there buying sale items from the weekly specials flier, so I knew the total was wrong as soon as I saw it. But it wouldn't surprise me if some shoppers just pay and walk away.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:09 PM

9,864 posts, read 14,033,524 times
1) I always weigh and barcode my produce in the produce aisle, as Wegmans gives you the ability to do this. I do this for convenience, only, as the clerk normally takes much longer finding codes for all of the produce I buy.

2) I've never once looked at the register while checking out, nor ever looked at the receipt handed to me.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,933,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
No because I either go to the self check or I use the scanner to check out my groceries and I bag as I shop.
I agree. The supermarkets closest to me have self-checkout and that is all I use. I can take my time checking out the items, ensuring the correct price has rung up and then bag the groceries myself. Buying for one person, I can be in and out of the self-checkout line in a minute or two.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:45 PM

420 posts, read 702,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Same. I can't remember the last time I had a cashier check me out at the grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products