Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:38 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,341,707 times

Advertisements

Something disturbing has occurred. Always enjoyed going to my Barnes and Noble on a Saturday and relaxing in their very comfy club chairs with my purchased coffee, purchased cookie, and soon to be purchased book or magazine. Went there one Saturday, the chairs were moved up front to an uncomfortable location. Went back the next Saturday and the chairs were gone completely. The bar tables and stools in the cafe which are rock hard and NOT comfy were the only seating options.

Asked a clerk that said she didn't know. Why would they take away the chairs completely? Any ideas? Now I hardly EVER go in that bookstore. I am missing out on my comfortable full sensory experience - the food, the coffee, the great music, the reading, the pleasant murmors of the crowds - and the book store has lost my sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,448,316 times
They still have the club chairs where I am (but fewer than before) and there's always people lounging (or dozing) in them. I normally have a specific book in mind and I grab a few others for possible purchase. I sit down and scan through them, get up and leave or I go into the coffee area with my purchased book. Perhaps people were reading entire books/magazines and not purchasing them or maybe there were too many long term sitters/sleepers that warmed the club chairs (ick). In any case, it does make the place less cozy.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
That is my guess;too many freeloaders and coffee spills.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:06 PM

128 posts, read 361,646 times
I can only guess, but I'm thinking that it's a case of too many people (not you, obviously) sitting down and reading entire books without buying them. Of course the book publishing industry is really hurting now (publishers and retailers) along with many other businesses, so that might explain it.

While it may seem inconsequencial, the number of people who read entire books while sitting in the store, I'm not so sure about that. Now, keep in mind, I write books for "cheapskates," but I receive many, many, many emails from folks saying they loved my book ... so much so that they sat in Barnes & Nobel every lunch hour for two weeks to read the entire thing (ironically, these are always the email messages that end with "Can't wait to read your next book!" - ugh.)

Don't get me wrong: It's fine to read a book without buying it ... that's why we have public libraries. But don't rip off book sellers, publishers, AND authors (again, not you personally, but true "drive by readers") by reading it all for free in a book store. From my perspective as an author, it's like filling up your tank at a gas station and driving away without paying.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,030,664 times
I used to work at Barnes and Noble and I'll tell you why: People sit in those for hours, spill drinks and drop food, leave tons of books laying on the floor, sit down and have long conversations on their cellphone, rip pages out of books and magazines, teens and other people gather in them by the group, teens sit on them and make out. If you want the book or magazine then buy it. Nothing wrong with looking at books at the store, but if you need a comfy chair then you're planning to be there too long. They should take out all tables too. It's a place of business, not a library. New York City Barnes and Nobles and Borders barely have any chairs.

I would NEVER sit in one of those. There were two occasions at our store where men were caught masturbating in those chairs with hands under magazines...disgusting. Semen found on the seats. Yeah keep sitting on those filthy chairs because I can tell you they are NEVER cleaned.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:12 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,096,020 times
I go to Hastings, and never see people with drinks in the book area, though sometimes I do see people reading. I don't think they mind that.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,047,446 times
Clerks, and strangers on the internet, don't have power -- to know the answer, or to change the circumstances.
Speak with the manager, who does have the power.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:49 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,396,150 times
Somebody somewhere came up with a study and the results probably were something on the line of the comfy chairs and cafe atmosphere added little or nothing to the bottom line compared to locations that provided no such trappings. Also, commercial real estate goes by the square foot and every inch of that space has to provide as much income as possible. Out with the comfy, in with the floor display.

As far as hard chairs in the cafe, that's planned too for maximum turnover. A comfy chair keeps the customer who already paid in said chair for too long, cutting the chance for a sale to another customer who thinks the place is too crowded. Nothing, absoutely nothing is left to chance in the retail world.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,448,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I used to work at Barnes and Noble and I'll tell you why: People sit in those for hours, spill drinks and drop food, leave tons of books laying on the floor, sit down and have long conversations on their cellphone, rip pages out of books and magazines, teens and other people gather in them by the group, teens sit on them and make out. If you want the book or magazine then buy it. Nothing wrong with looking at books at the store, but if you need a comfy chair then you're planning to be there too long. They should take out all tables too. It's a place of business, not a library. New York City Barnes and Nobles and Borders barely have any chairs.

I would NEVER sit in one of those. There were two occasions at our store where men were caught masturbating in those chairs with hands under magazines...disgusting. Semen found on the seats. Yeah keep sitting on those filthy chairs because I can tell you they are NEVER cleaned.
Well, after reading your post... now I'm thinking all those club chairs have gotta go. Gross.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:52 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Yeah, no kidding! Our Barnes and Noble still has the comfy chairs, but I'll think twice and move on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products