U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:48 PM

1,111 posts, read 597,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
IDoPhysics - apparently you do physics, but you don't read the first post in the thread.

As I've said before, it's NEVER been a problem for me in years and years.
Apparently you make stuff up. I never said that I never read the first post. I, in fact did, and others called the OP out on it. You are supporting the OP's position on people who wear hoodies and as a result, I called you out on it.

It's never been a problem before, but you shouldn't knowingly facilitate such fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 02:30 PM

13,052 posts, read 7,922,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
If you do this, the card is not valid for transactions until you sign it.
Quote:
With Visa, MasterCard, and Discover the clerks should require you to sign the card before it can be used. These cards are invalid without your signature on the signature line.
Quote:
They really should require a signature but clerks just don't follow the rules.
Quote:
The merchant agreement for most credit cards instruct the cashiers NOT to ask for ID as a process of the transaction as long as the credit card has a signature on the back.
Quote:
Read the merchant agreement. For Visa, MasterCard and Discover, merchants are barred from asking for ID. Doing so for the purpose of accepting the credit card is in violation of contract. Contract is not only a valid reason to not show ID, but a legal reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
But then merchants who are in contract with these credit card companies and are forbidden from asking for ID think they can just break the rules and do whatever they want.
Quote:
I don't understand why clerks/merchants breach the contracts. I'm surprised that you encourage this illegal behavior.
Quote:
Whether you're a rebel or not, you're assisting these merchants in breaching their contract and assisting them in fraudulently accepting transactions.
Quote:
Stores are not allowed to require IDs for the purpose of a credit card transaction (visa, mastercard, and discover)... and they are not allowed to accept these cards as payment without a signature on the signature line.
Quote:
You're actually supposed to sign the card on the signature line
Quote:
No signature, no transaction.
Quote:
The clerk is supposed to compare the signature on the card to the signature you provided at the time of purchase.
Quote:
Then your card is not valid for transactions. A signature in the signature box is required for the card to be valid for transactions.

You are free to hand over your ID with your credit card if you want the clerk to view it. But it is never required for a transaction.
Quote:
It's never been a problem before, but you shouldn't knowingly facilitate such fraud.

So what you're saying is I don't need to sign the back of my card?

Old 02-01-2015, 02:44 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,958,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
"can I see your ID?

I get so mad it's like I almost want to throw it at the person because I feel like I am being judged and looked at as a thief. I'm not some 18 year old kid wearing a hoodie with his first credit card who may look like he is up to no good. I am a grown man over 30 coming from work dressed in my business attire so it's so easy for me to get annoyed. Plus I find it funny how real criminals can steal people's credit card and go on a shopping spree at target and not be asked for no ID

Does anyone else get asked this question when using a credit card?
They have to ask for your ID or get fired.

You say you are over 30 so ...................

Old 02-01-2015, 02:47 PM

8,796 posts, read 5,873,464 times
I see this at many types of stores, but especially at construction/parts/equipment/tool stores.

As long as the guys before me are asked too, I have no issue.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:15 PM

30,582 posts, read 28,237,541 times
The back of my credit and also the debit card/s state: NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED, and SIGNATURE REQUIRED. This protects the card from having someone else’s signature written on the back of YOUR card.

You can also tape and add – “ask for ID” to the back of the card however.

And the big question here is – can I buy a hoodie using someone else’s credit card?

Old 02-01-2015, 03:19 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,614 posts, read 51,091,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The back of my credit and also the debit card/s state: NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED, and SIGNATURE REQUIRED. This protects the card from having someone else’s signature written on the back of YOUR card.

You can also tape and add – “ask for ID” to the back of the card however.

And the big question here is – can I buy a hoodie using someone else’s credit card?
I believe you can only use someone else's credit card if you are already wearing a hoodie

Old 02-01-2015, 03:45 PM

451 posts, read 394,851 times
I have a friend that had her purse stolen from a restaurant. When she went home, she me immediately started making the moves to cxl all her cards etc. Then she got a phone call from a jewelry store she had shopped at frequently. The clerk on the phone asked her if she purchased a diamond necklace (costing thousands). My friend answered "no". The clerk told her that a woman came in and bought the necklace using her card.

The clerk got suspicious of the card because she remembered the name, but couldn't remember the face. She was certain though that she had never seen the shopper before. She asked for ID and the shopper claimed she didn't have it with her. The sale was permitted, but the clerk was smart enough to write down a good description of the woman and even got the tag number off the back of her car.

In the end... The thief turned out to be of a different race than my friend. A picture ID, no matter how old it might be, would have stopped the sale and possibly assisted in catching the thief sooner. The "shopper" was able to continue on her shopping spree in other stores until the final total was nearly $50,000 before she was busted. What a mess.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:00 PM

4,929 posts, read 4,212,052 times
Quote:
Apparently you make stuff up. I never said that I never read the first post. I, in fact did, and others called the OP out on it. You are supporting the OP's position on people who wear hoodies and as a result, I called you out on it.

Ha ha! Not quite. The OP implied that people who wear hoodies are troublemakers and hoodlums.

I was poking fun at this by saying I wear hoodies. I am not a troublemaker, nor a hoodlum.

It is called s a r c a s m.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:12 PM

19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times
The last time I was asked for ID when using a credit card was in the late 90's in some small town in ND.

I can't even remember the last time my CC left my hand for a clerk to verify anything as all the places I shop at have swipe card readers.

I also have a Master Card CC from citibank via American Airlines that says on the back "No Signature Required".

Old 02-01-2015, 04:18 PM

3,352 posts, read 3,283,145 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
There are times I thought of, and for a while I did, printing "Check for Photo ID" in the signature portion of my cards.
Then your card is not valid for transactions. A signature in the signature box is required for the card to be valid for transactions.
Simple fix.

Sign the back of the card with black ballpoint pen, then overwrite "ASK FOR ID" in the signature box using blue permanent marker. Your signature is still visible, so the card is valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or