U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:51 AM

44,008 posts, read 53,860,986 times

Advertisements

I wish everyone would ask for ID.

They are not insulting you.
Everywhere I have seen this happen, it's store policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 12:07 PM

39,954 posts, read 57,800,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
There are times I thought of, and for a while I did, printing "Check for Photo ID" in the signature portion of my cards.
ALL my credit cards have "Check for photo ID" but not in the signature space. I do appreciate when they (or at least some of them) ask to see my ID.

According to Visa and MasterCard, when a merchant sees "See ID" on the back of a card instead of a signature, that card should not be processed. Technically, a Visa/MasterCard is not valid unless signed by the authorized cardholder.
MasterCard and Visa, however, explicitly prohibit retailers from requiring an ID to accept a properly signed card. A merchant cannot refuse a transaction if you choose not to produce identification, and a merchant does not have to ask for additional identification when presented a signed credit card.
The signature panel isn't just for verifying the signature. It's also used to validate the contract you have with the credit card company. By signing, you confirm that you agree to their terms. However even though you may choose not to sign the card but use it anyway, you still are bound to the terms and agreements set forth by the issuer.
BTW: check your state laws and regulations - some states have laws barring a cashier from writing down your ID information.

Remember: while in most cases it's OK to ask to SEE your ID, the minute they record that information, either by writing it down or entering it into an electronic system, at that point they most likely have broken the law.

Can retailers ask for ID with your credit card?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:27 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,206,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I wish everyone would ask for ID.

They are not insulting you.
Everywhere I have seen this happen, it's store policy.
This, right here. It typically is store policy, the cashier is doing as they're told, if they didn't it would ultimately catch up to them and they'd lose their job.

As usual, we have customers yelling at clerks who have nothing to do with the actual problem and are simply following instructions. (I'm not saying the original poster is yelling at a clerk, but there are many who do.) I've done cashiering, and I have gotten this with the cigarette-buying people very often. Typically I just jokingly reply "I know, it seems silly, but they make me 'card' even 85 year olds in a wheelchair with oxygen tanks" (because they do, in fact).

If that works, that's fine, but if they remain ugly, watch out, my sarcasm tongue may reveal itself. Ask me "how old do you think I look," and I'd apt to reply "you don't look a day under 70," ha ha.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:37 PM

10,702 posts, read 9,671,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I don't sign my credit card, instead I wrote: Ask for I.D. And thankfully many clerks will do just that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Where?
I haven't been asked for ID in so long I can't even remember when or even had the clerk look at the back when there is no swipe machine.
To name just a few: Target; Bed, Bath & Beyond; local grocery stores.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:26 PM

10,118 posts, read 7,373,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
"can I see your ID?

I get so mad it's like I almost want to throw it at the person because I feel like I am being judged and looked at as a thief. I'm not some 18 year old kid wearing a hoodie with his first credit card who may look like he is up to no good. I am a grown man over 30 coming from work dressed in my business attire so it's so easy for me to get annoyed. Plus I find it funny how real criminals can steal people's credit card and go on a shopping spree at target and not be asked for no ID

Does anyone else get asked this question when using a credit card?
Sometimes. But I'm always glad when they do ask for ID because it means they're being vigilant for stolen credit cards. It might be mine that someone's stolen and is using as their own. As you mention though, I would hope that a store policy to check the ID of credit card users would mean they do carry this out for everyone, not just picking out customers randomly for credit card checks.

IMO it's pointless to get angry when a clerk asks you for ID when you use a credit card. Generally they're carrying out a store policy, and it really is nothing personal, and they aren't assuming you are a thief. And all thieves aren't dressed in hoodies or droopy pants. Sometimes they're dressed in business attire.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:06 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,104,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
"can I see your ID?

I get so mad it's like I almost want to throw it at the person because I feel like I am being judged and looked at as a thief. I'm not some 18 year old kid wearing a hoodie with his first credit card who may look like he is up to no good. I am a grown man over 30 coming from work dressed in my business attire so it's so easy for me to get annoyed. Plus I find it funny how real criminals can steal people's credit card and go on a shopping spree at target and not be asked for no ID

Does anyone else get asked this question when using a credit card?
hm Bernie Madoff wore business attire too, (not hoodies) just sayin'

Old 01-31-2015, 02:07 PM

980 posts, read 596,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I don't sign my credit card, instead I wrote: Ask for I.D. And thankfully many clerks will do just that!
With Visa, MasterCard, and Discover the clerks should require you to sign the card before it can be used. These cards are invalid without your signature on the signature line.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
One place that always asks for ID is Northern Tool. They must have a firm policy that their cashiers ask for it each time, because I have never been in there one time without them asking.

Don
Why do they ask for ID?

Old 01-31-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Some stores require that clerks ask for ID because they have so much fraud. Personally, I'm glad they ask for ID. An attempt was made to use a cloned Visa card of mine, and was caught red-handed.
Often, they are not allowed to ask for ID. I don't understand why these clerks feel they can breach their contract.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
If your credit cards got stolen and used and it created a hassle for you, then you'd probably be annoyed if they didn't ask the thieves for their ID.
I had my credit card charged at some random department store in another state. The transaction stated a physical card was present, but I had my physical card on me. Frankly, I don't mind that clerks don't ask for ID. I'm certainly not annoyed about it. It's so convenient to tap and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or