U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 02:13 PM

980 posts, read 595,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I've had "See ID" in my place of signature for 15+ years. It's never been an issue anywhere.
This is the problem that many here have pointed out. They really should require a signature but clerks just don't follow the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I wish everyone would ask for ID.

They are not insulting you.
Everywhere I have seen this happen, it's store policy.
But merchant agreements forbid them from doing so. It's an insult to the industry.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:15 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,957,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
If you do this, the card is not valid for transactions until you sign it.
Really! We have "See ID" in the signature space on all credit and debit cards. It's never been a problem and clerks, waiters, etc. ask to what? See our IDs. It's an ID safety issue and has become an accepted practice. Some states and some establishments require ID when using a card to safeguard the holders' credit and to ensure they actually get paid by the issuer. Others don't. I see no valid reason for refusing to comply and think it nonsensical serving nothing and no one! It just puts the employee in an uncomfortable spot not of their own making.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
This, right here. It typically is store policy, the cashier is doing as they're told, if they didn't it would ultimately catch up to them and they'd lose their job.

As usual, we have customers yelling at clerks who have nothing to do with the actual problem and are simply following instructions. (I'm not saying the original poster is yelling at a clerk, but there are many who do.) I've done cashiering, and I have gotten this with the cigarette-buying people very often. Typically I just jokingly reply "I know, it seems silly, but they make me 'card' even 85 year olds in a wheelchair with oxygen tanks" (because they do, in fact).

If that works, that's fine, but if they remain ugly, watch out, my sarcasm tongue may reveal itself. Ask me "how old do you think I look," and I'd apt to reply "you don't look a day under 70," ha ha.
Actually the clerks are doing the opposite of following instructions. The merchant agreement for most credit cards instruct the cashiers NOT to ask for ID as a process of the transaction as long as the credit card has a signature on the back.

Yelling at the clerk is absurd, but so is a merchant that constantly breaches their contract. As a credit card holder, I am not required to show ID to any merchant to use my card as long as the physical card is present and contains a signature on the back.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Really! We have "See ID" in the signature space on all credit and debit cards. It's never been a problem and clerks, waiters, etc. ask to what? See our IDs. It's an ID safety issue and has become an accepted practice. Some states and some establishments require ID when using a card to safeguard the holders' credit and to ensure they actually get paid by the issuer. Others don't. I see no valid reason for refusing to comply and think it nonsensical serving nothing and no one! It just puts the employee in an uncomfortable spot not of their own making.
Yes, really. Read the merchant agreement. For Visa, MasterCard and Discover, merchants are barred from asking for ID. Doing so for the purpose of accepting the credit card is in violation of contract. Contract is not only a valid reason to not show ID, but a legal reason. Why are you so anti-American that you are against our laws? THAT, seems nonsensical to me.

Which states require identification to be present for the sole purpose of accepting a credit card for a transaction?

Old 01-31-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
IMO it's pointless to get angry when a clerk asks you for ID when you use a credit card.
I agree. Getting angry is over the top. Simply refuse and continue with the transaction.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:31 PM

1,111 posts, read 597,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Yes, really. Read the merchant agreement. For Visa, MasterCard and Discover, merchants are barred from asking for ID. Doing so for the purpose of accepting the credit card is in violation of contract. Contract is not only a valid reason to not show ID, but a legal reason. Why are you so anti-American that you are against our laws? THAT, seems nonsensical to me.

Which states require identification to be present for the sole purpose of accepting a credit card for a transaction?
This is something I don't understand. When I sign up for a credit card, I am signing up for a product that is easy and convenient to use and my credit card company explicitly outlines that I just have to sign the card and hand it over to the merchant to complete a transaction. They even tell me in the fine print that I will not be asked for a PIN or an ID and they upsell me on how quick it is to use the card.

But then merchants who are in contract with these credit card companies and are forbidden from asking for ID think they can just break the rules and do whatever they want. I don't see why they think they are special and are not required to follow the rules they agreed to. If you want to ask for ID, simply don't accept these cards and don't agree to their rules. But don't agree to the rules, and then break them. That's just an insult to the customer who is trying to simply purchase goods/services.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:53 PM

2,685 posts, read 4,929,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I don't sign my credit card, instead I wrote: Ask for I.D. And thankfully many clerks will do just that!
This exposes you to greater risk! I would NEVER be foolish enough to show my id with my home address to a random clerk or waiter. If you do that you set yourself up for credit card theft and fraud. The cashier can look at your credit card and memorize the number. Then they look at the back of the credit card and get the 3 digit security code. Then if one lets the cashier look at their id, they give the cashier their name and billing address.

Now they have everything they need to do an online gift order to a foreign country using your information!!

Last edited by capoeira; 01-31-2015 at 03:04 PM..

Old 01-31-2015, 03:00 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,614 posts, read 51,099,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Nope! Like many others, I THANK the cashiers who do this.

Hmmm. I just got back from a meeting at church. Two of us had hoodies. I personally have no criminal background (as confirmed by the background check required by my place of employment), and i am pretty certain the other hoodie wearer also does not have a criminal background, as his employer also requires background checks...

I've had "See ID" in my place of signature for 15+ years. It's never been an issue anywhere.
Why is your signature not on your card?

Old 01-31-2015, 03:02 PM

185 posts, read 144,476 times
You know what humors me? When someone insists that they cannot accept my credit card because omg, I didn't sign my name on the back. Okay, just a second. Got a pen? No, not a stylus, a real ink pen? La te dah, I sign the card,and viola its magically accepted. That's funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or