Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I don't sign the back of my card, they are suppose to ask me for ID. When they do I thank them for being on the ball. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Sign the back of the card with black ballpoint pen, then overwrite "ASK FOR ID" in the signature box using blue permanent marker. Your signature is still visible, so the card is valid.
Some establishments, like the US Postal Service, won't accept an unsigned card as a form of payment.

Better plan to have sufficient cash or take a signed card with you, the next time you buy a roll of stamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 06:23 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I can't say this is the same for all areas but where I live if you have on a hoodie indoors chances are you have a criminal background
Wow...just wow. This is the problem, ok one of them, with America. I really can't believe you think this way and that you actually posted it. I'm sure you have been beat up in the previous 7 pages of posts, but what a post.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:39 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
I can't remember ever having been asked for ID with my credit card. For returning items, sometimes.

I am asked for the last 4 digits of the card, though, in both Staples and Macy's.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:19 PM

141 posts, read 160,462 times
Drives me crazy that they don't ask for it every time. Or that the PIN input is optional. Baffling.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:57 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
I do not mind that they ask for id, just its kind of annoying when they will not accept that my credit card has my photo on it and they want me to dig out a driver's license. Seems that they could use the photo on the credit card for id--that is what it is for

Old 02-01-2015, 10:21 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
15 years?!?! Good grief....in MN, license renewal occurs every 4 years.

Goodness, even a passport is every 10 years.
In AZ from the age you get your license it's good till you're 62. No renewal but it's advisable to get a new pic if you've changed enough over the years. After age 62 it has to be renewed every five years.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:53 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
Drives me crazy that they don't ask for it every time. Or that the PIN input is optional. Baffling.
I remember when credit cards had to have a PIN. I guess I never noticed when they stopped doing that but there are times, as a cashier, I do wish they still had a PIN and that debit cards couldn't so easily be used as a credit. It bypasses the PIN and no signature if less than $50 and even more on some cards.

Maybe it's been too many years but in my past jobs I don't recall asking for ID with a credit card. If we did it was just to compare signatures. Checks, always, but not cards. Possibly in restaurants and very likely at motels. Retail never but I've only been doing that for about five years so maybe prior.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Yep the clerks who don't ask are ones who don't care about your account security. Some even steal the numbers to use. I rather it every time for added security and less overall credit card fraud.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:18 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yep the clerks who don't ask are ones who don't care about your account security. Some even steal the numbers to use. I rather it every time for added security and less overall credit card fraud.
There really is no added security since they are not allowed to refuse the transaction if you choose not to show your ID. If someone stole your credit card and tried to use it, they can simply say "no" when asked for an ID. There's no added security.

What study are you referring to when you refer to clerks who follow the credit card transaction guidelines as not caring about your security?

Old 02-02-2015, 03:08 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
What with the advent of so many shopping online and/or giving your card number over the phone, worrying about being asked for ID when using your card becomes a big non-issue.
You can use an unsigned card or even wear your hoodie while doing so without drawing any extra attention at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products