Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 05:51 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
"can I see your ID?

I get so mad it's like I almost want to throw it at the person because I feel like I am being judged and looked at as a thief. I'm not some 18 year old kid wearing a hoodie with his first credit card who may look like he is up to no good. I am a grown man over 30 coming from work dressed in my business attire so it's so easy for me to get annoyed. Plus I find it funny how real criminals can steal people's credit card and go on a shopping spree at target and not be asked for no ID

Does anyone else get asked this question when using a credit card?
I don't sign my credit card, instead I wrote: Ask for I.D. And thankfully many clerks will do just that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 05:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I work retail, and we have gotten pretty good at sniffing out those people who are trying to use a phoney credit card even before they get to the register. They have certain traits that give them away usually, like heading right to the electronics dept and asking for the most expensive unit you have, without asking for any information on it, and also for asking for multiple units of something. (I'll take 4 of those $1000 GPS units ! )

When we suspect someone is doing that we put an "out of order" sign on the card swipe machine and when they come to the register we tell them it is broken and we need to call in the cards. You would be surprised how many times they storm out of the store empty handed. If the card were good they would have no problem letting us call it in.

We are especially being hit hard by Hispanic couples and even families. The new game seems to be to bring your GF or even kids with you to make you look more legitimate. Not saying anything bad about Hispanics, we have a lot of really great Hispanic customers, but those seem to be the most common credit card thieves we are seeing right now.

Don

Last edited by don1945; 01-31-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-31-2015, 06:31 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I don't sign my credit card, instead I wrote: Ask for I.D. And thankfully many clerks will do just that!

Where?
I haven't been asked for ID in so long I can't even remember when or even had the clerk look at the back when there is no swipe machine.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
One place that always asks for ID is Northern Tool. They must have a firm policy that their cashiers ask for it each time, because I have never been in there one time without them asking.

Don

Old 01-31-2015, 06:58 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
It was a story on the news involving criminals stealing someone's credit card and going on a shopping spree in target and were not asked for their id at all. It's the innocent hard working people they want to ask that question to

Police seek man who used stolen credit cards at Target, Lowe's | Regional: Berks - Home

I would know nothing about Target because I don't shop there and I would know nothing about a news story because I do not read the news nor do I watch television.

You did miss my point completely though which is fine and your choice, carry on with your identification crisis and enjoy.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:59 AM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I always thank any clerk who asks for my ID.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:22 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,231 times
I wish someone had checked their IDs when my husband's credit cards were stolen they charged huge amounts at WalMart.
We were not responsible for the charges but it may have helped in finding the people who stole them.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:34 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Some stores require that clerks ask for ID because they have so much fraud. Personally, I'm glad they ask for ID. An attempt was made to use a cloned Visa card of mine, and was caught red-handed.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:35 AM

460 posts, read 1,003,853 times
If your credit cards got stolen and used and it created a hassle for you, then you'd probably be annoyed if they didn't ask the thieves for their ID.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:47 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
"can I see your ID?

I get so mad it's like I almost want to throw it at the person because I feel like I am being judged and looked at as a thief. I'm not some 18 year old kid wearing a hoodie with his first credit card who may look like he is up to no good. I am a grown man over 30 coming from work dressed in my business attire so it's so easy for me to get annoyed. Plus I find it funny how real criminals can steal people's credit card and go on a shopping spree at target and not be asked for no ID

Does anyone else get asked this question when using a credit card?
Nope! Like many others, I THANK the cashiers who do this.

Quote:
I can't say this is the same for all areas but where I live if you have on a hoodie indoors chances are you have a criminal background
Hmmm. I just got back from a meeting at church. Two of us had hoodies. I personally have no criminal background (as confirmed by the background check required by my place of employment), and i am pretty certain the other hoodie wearer also does not have a criminal background, as his employer also requires background checks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
If you do this, the card is not valid for transactions until you sign it.
I've had "See ID" in my place of signature for 15+ years. It's never been an issue anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products