U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:05 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,487,531 times

Advertisements

DVDs are still the only decent way to buy movies. You can buy it streaming on Amazon, but then you're locked into Amazon for as long as you're interested in watching the movie that you bought, you have to have a fast 'net connection to watch it, etc. Same with the other download sites. I'll always be able to watch my DVDs. I don't buy a lot of movies anymore, but I'll only buy physical media when I do. All the other (legal) means of downloading most movies (the ones people actually want to watch) include some sort of digital rights nonsense, which cripples my ability to watch it when and where I please. I do rent a lot of streaming movies, though, and I watch tons of Netflix and Hulu. I'm not anti-technology - quite the opposite, actually. I just won't buy a movie that I can't watch anywhere, anytime, on or offline.

I still buy CDs if it's cheaper than buying the MP3s, and it often is. When I get the disc, I rip it and have the best of both worlds.

Magazines... Every other year I subscribe to Nevada Magazine for the office, just to put in the lobby. Nobody reads it, although it looks to have some interesting articles. Every few years I get the itch to re-subscribe to Astronomy, and I end up with twelve mostly unread magazines. Tried their digital subscription, and that was a waste of money, too. I just don't have time for much reading these days.

Books: Most of the books I buy are technical reference books, and I much prefer paper books when it comes to that stuff. Setting and finding bookmarks is just a PITA on electronic devices, comparatively. You also can't jump back and forth, flip through pages, etc. nearly as easily, if at all. I do have a kindle, and occasionally buy something for it, but more often than not, that stuff goes unread or I just barely start reading it and then stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 12:13 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,487,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I still buy CDs if it's cheaper than buying the MP3s, and it often is. When I get the disc, I rip it and have the best of both worlds.
Case in point: I went looking for the album playing in my ear while I'm on hold right now. Amazon has the mp3 download for $8.99, and they have a 3rd party seller with the same album on CD for $0.49 + $3.99 shipping.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:29 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,394,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
I have to agree there. I buy CDs all the time at our Goodwills and they only charge $2 a CD. You do have to check though, that they aren't scratched up or that the disc is still there and the right one. I also buy them at FYE all the time, although I hate the stickers they put on some of the cases. Some come right off, while others resist all attempts for removal.

I started collecting about 2 and a half years ago and am up to almost 500 CDs and about 60 music DVDs.
Yes. I buy from a local resale shop supporting animal shelters and I always buy CDs. A few years ago I bought a Pet Shop Boys CD that was usable but didn't complain because it was for a good cause.

I still buy books, CDs, DVDs, books and magazines. CDs and DVDs are becoming cheaper and cheaper which I like. I buy lots of books, mostly from the library but still at book stores too. I did cut a few magazine subscriptions but they were magazines I was starting to outgrow.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 AM

7,083 posts, read 2,580,828 times
Gone Girl, the DVD, is on sale at Target this week, I think - I saw it for ten bucks, which is a few dollars cheaper than going to the theater to see it a few weeks ago. Sometimes the DVD is cheaper than going to the movies these days. Large popcorn is 8 bucks now, I think. It's insane.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:12 PM

389 posts, read 346,359 times
Don't buy CDs. I love getting magazines in the mail. Books usually check out at library. My son (10) has a ton of VCR tapes and watches those quite a bit. I know many people don't have VCRs anymore.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:47 PM

672 posts, read 660,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
Nobody buys albums or compact discs anymore, they download songs of iTunes or stream through Spotify. Nobody buys DVDs anymore, they watch Netflix or Hulu for entertainment. If people like to read books or magazines, they download ebooks and magazines off their tablets.
You're kidding right? Nobody? I think all the older people I know still have the newspaper delivered and about a dozen magazines a month.

While they continue to decline each year, look at the millions still sold for the top mags in the attachment to this post. That's hardly nobody is buying.

Kids books still sell great. While my children all have tablets, phones and computers they could read on they are all still required to read books both at home and for school. They always have a book with them.

My wife and I both have purchased many ebooks but we always buy some. I don't see that changing for many. We also support our local library in many ways.

I'm not alone. In my area a large of amount of people go out of their way to support our local bookstores to keep them.

I don't buy cd's anymore or movies. Unless, I find a good one at a resell shop or yard sale for a buck. I'm sure many still do just like people that collect Vinyl. Heck, people still buy 8-tracks. I just sold a bunch on eBay for much more than I would have imagined.

All the categories you mentioned have declined but to state "nobody buys" is farfetched.
Quote:
Kids today will never appreciate the anticipation of listening to a CD in full or opening up a crisp new book.
Then buy them a book... Many parents still do.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Anyone Buy Compact Discs, DVDs, Books, or Magazines Anymore?-mag.gif  

Old 02-04-2017, 12:03 PM

6,527 posts, read 3,764,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
Everything has gone digital these days. Nobody buys albums or compact discs anymore, they download songs of iTunes or stream through Spotify. Nobody buys DVDs anymore, they watch Netflix or Hulu for entertainment. If people like to read books or magazines, they download ebooks and magazines off their tablets.

I am guilty of streaming, downloading, Netflixing, and reading ebooks just as much as everyone else but it makes me sad to see everyone going digital these days. Kids today will never appreciate the anticipation of listening to a CD in full or opening up a crisp new book.

I buy vinyl, CDs more rarely

I don't buy DVDs but I rent them at the library or go see movies at the theatre

I read books although I got an e-reader for christmas. I don't like reading on a computer / tablet for very long.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:37 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,218,125 times
I buy CDs and some DVDs. I usually check out DVDs and books from the library. I'm reading three different books right now and enjoy holding a book feel I can connect better to what I'm reading than looking at a screen for that long.

I still have records and love the sound from a record so much more than a CD, but I grew up with records and cherished our music and couldn't wait until a new record was released. They usually came with a poster and liner notes. So the record connection is similar to a real book.

Something gets lost in all this technology the richness and the real connection.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,597,147 times
My preferred way to watch movies are Blu-rays - however, they're expensive so I will typically stream instead (or watch DVD's).

I stream some TV series.

I still read books, but I stopped buying them for the most part - I get them out of the library.

With music, I'm still old-skool so listen primarily to CD's. However, I stream some music as well.

I haven't had a magazine or newspaper subscription for years - I get all of my news/info. online.

I don't like Vinyl - the resurgence of popularity re: vinyl is baffling. It's not a good way to listen to music re: the pops/scratches, and the maintenance re: the record player/needles is a huge hassle. Note, I'm in my 40's so grew up with Vinyl to some extent - I disliked it when that was the only way to listen to music. CD's are far superior.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:59 PM

613 posts, read 1,015,617 times
Just because society is pushing us all into it doesn't mean we have to do it! There are many people bucking the trend. The novelty of computers and digital everything has worn off for many.. with all the viruses, hackings, ransomware.. computers/ laptops/ ipods/ cell phones/ etc. that malfunction and erase all your stuff without warning. Not to mention the complicated nonsense of endless updates, maintenance, fixing, just keeping them working.. computers were supposed to make our lives easier but taking care of all our digital toys has become a full-time job in itself. Not to mention expensive!

And why would anyone in their right mind digitize everything and get rid of all their books (or music or written data) when it could all go POOF in the blink of an eye?? (and often does). I don't trust the digital world at all.. I use computers but don't trust them. And photo, book and record/tape/CD collections that actually exist in real space are safe from being stolen & destroyed by Russian hackers.

You're right about young people though.. it's sad. I keep hoping there will be a backlash in the next generation of those who will appreciate books, vinyl, etc. I know they're out there.. there's always cutting edge kids who want to rediscover the old stuff and keep it going..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or