U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 03:57 PM

4,317 posts, read 1,028,225 times

Advertisements

I'm young (23 next month) and I collect CDs, DVDs, and even old vinyl records. I like the crackling sound they make. My dad was going to throw out his old turntable so I took it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 05:27 PM

990 posts, read 1,545,892 times
I just ordered 8 hardback used books for $26 with free shipping from Better World Books. They'd have cost me @ $64 had I downloaded them to my Kindle from Amazon.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:31 PM

9,418 posts, read 3,238,910 times
Every month, I buy Discover, Scientific American and Popular Science at a grocery store newsstand and read almost every word in them. I still listen to some of my favorite audio tape cassettes, either in my house or on a portable headphone player. I have hundreds of CDs, but haven't listened to any for several years. Several friends often seem to be giving me DVDs and VHS cassettes, although I rarely watch any of them. I shoot a lot of HD video (soon to shift to 4K), so low-resolution images don't have much appeal for me. I have no interest in commercially-downloaded videos for the same reason-------they are too heavily-compressed to please me.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:34 PM

43,980 posts, read 53,815,615 times
DVD?
You mean Blu-ray?

Old 02-26-2017, 12:10 AM

3,885 posts, read 1,523,190 times
One of the benefits of DVDs and Blu-Ray combined with 120Hz TVs was the elimination of 3:2 pulldown and the ability to watch movies in their native 24fps frame rate. Now most streaming playback devices are only capable of 60fps playback, which is fine for TV content that was originally filmed in 30fps. But for movies that are filmed at 24fps, that means we're right back to 3:2 pulldown.

As for CDs, yes I still buy them for music where detail is important such as classical pieces and some movie sound tracks. 320kbps or even 256kbps mp3s are adequate for most popular music but you notice the detail loss when there's frequent and drastic differences in volume. Also as some have pointed out, demand for CDs has dropped so low that you can often buy them used for a buck or two. Even if you only want two tracks on that CD, you're at least even if not ahead cost-wise versus buying those tracks separately from Amazon or wherever.

Finally, there are rumors that streaming services like Spotify and Pandora fundamentally alter the tracks by reducing the dynamic range, increasing the overall volume, and boosting the low and high ends to optimize the sound for noisier environments such as cars and social gatherings.

Last edited by Bitey; 02-26-2017 at 12:55 AM..

Old 02-26-2017, 12:25 PM

11,594 posts, read 6,395,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes we still buy dvds, books, and subscribe to a few magazines.
Same here and buy magazines as well as having subscriptions

Old 02-26-2017, 02:04 PM

7,245 posts, read 4,498,124 times
My kids are 17, 14, and 12 and very up-to-date with technology. The older two have iPhones and listen to all their music on them; we download or stream all of our movies. But, all the kids are big readers and very much dislike reading on a device. They buy books, ask for books as gifts, and frequent the library. They like magazines, too.

As for me, I read books, subscribe to magazines, and get a daily newspaper.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:08 PM

190 posts, read 143,733 times
DVDs -- I use Netflix and Hulu to stream TV shows. I dont watch movies on there too often. I do, but every once in a while. The movies I want to watch are not on there (mostly), so I need to get the dvd. I still use the library to borrow some dvds (if not on Netflix and Hulu) because I only want to watch the movie 1x and it would be a waste of money to buy the dvd just to watch it that 1x. Unless library does not have movie in their system, then I buy the movie.

CDs -- I bought CDs until 2009. Since then I downloaded music. I only buy the CD if the artist is old, so they dont have their music to iTunes or Amazon, or they dont want their music on iTunes or Amazon to begin with (like Taylor Swift; and Kid Rock never had his music on there until 1-2 years or so ago, so I always had to buy his CDs -- those are 2 examples).

Books -- I still buy books, or go to library to borrow books. Refuse to buy ebooks unless I have to (up until now I never had to buy an ebook). I do not get much use out of books though as I once did - only read the book 1-3 times per year if at all, but I like physical books better than ebooks. Just a preference.

Magazines -- I bought magazines when I was in grammar school. Since then I never did until I went to college. I was 20-21 when I bought 1 type of magazine but after a while I didnt have time to go to store to buy the magazine, so stopped.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:16 PM

1,685 posts, read 1,047,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
DVDs, books, CDs, or magazines.
GG800.. I still buy all of the above.
It is nice having Netflix for movies, and YouTube to listen to singles and albums (that I don't own, etc).

But I still value, and expand, my hard copy collections of books & music. /peace

Old 03-17-2017, 12:32 AM

2,749 posts, read 1,003,462 times
I buy books for kids who ask for them. I haven't bought any for myself in years. I borrow from my local library or download the free books with good reviews from Amazon.

I buy exercise dvds, but not movies.

I haven't bought a cd or a magazine in 15 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or