U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:41 AM

540 posts, read 254,600 times

Advertisements

DVD 's. Books and magazines. I've yet to make a purchase online though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 09:19 AM

6,021 posts, read 8,482,259 times
Yes, there's ALWAYS going to be that element of people who still love actually walking in & browsing the bookstores, Target & Walmart's DVD sections, etc. & I'm ONE OF THEM.

I'm still made that DVD Planet, Second Spin, Borders, & Blockbusters have closed up!

My fiance' & I still do this in B&N (Barnes & Noble), but we will go to there 2-3 times a month & browse the magazines especially & even sit & browse through several for like 45-60 min. It's nice & relaxing! We liked Borders better than B&N for that because Borders had a better cafe & sitting area than the B&N's in our area.

FYE used to be a LOT better, but they renovated our location & now there's much more junk, candy, toys, & doodads than DVDs, so I guess Walmart's the best nowadays for DVD selection.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:45 PM

5,188 posts, read 3,666,262 times
Watch at least two DVD movies a week. Best prices I found are at Deep Discount online.

Books from Rereadables, Edw. R. Hamilton, and Thrift Books.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:03 AM

1,242 posts, read 630,091 times
I buy most of my classical CDs. I like owning a physical copy of my favorite music, not having it depend on some nebulous internet entity. What if one day internet crashes down? I would die without music.

I also buy my non-fiction/reference books in physical copy.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:42 PM

667 posts, read 296,967 times
I buy books and CDs all the time. I do read books and listen to digital files on my tablet, but that only goes so far. Coffee table books are better in print format (because the photos are easier to see and appreciate), and some albums aren't in digital format yet.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:32 PM

9,155 posts, read 8,866,166 times
I read most books on kindle, and I get most of them from the library. They're released almost as soon as they are on amazon, but I've never been someone who had to read a book the day it came out. The only books I buy are reference books, especially cookbooks. I would probably buy more books if bookstores were still convenient. My nearest bookstore is two miles away, in a not particularly convenient location (I don't drive). Amazon may make book buying simple, but book browsing on Amazon does not compare with the shopping experience it destroyed.

I have never bought movies in any format. I watch 99% of things just once, and most are available online in some way, shape, or form. I own two DVDs. One was a gift.

I still buy CDs occasionally. I no longer listen to a regular stereo, however. I have a pair of computer speakers on my desk, and a wireless speaker in my BR, both by Bowers & Wilkins, on which I listen to my 70 days of music in iTunes. I also have around 100 LPs, but no turntable.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:33 PM

27,091 posts, read 6,496,560 times
I still buy cds and books...haven't gotten used to reading kindle or online for extended periods...

Old 11-27-2017, 11:23 AM

13,831 posts, read 7,163,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I'm amassing a big DVD and CD collection right now. Prices are so low that it would be a crime not to do so.
Seriously! I am one that watches movies I love many times. Dumb for me not to own them at these prices.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:17 PM

4,566 posts, read 1,747,347 times
I just dropped $47 at B&N last night. Bought 3 books.

I buy books because I tried kindle for Android and didn't like it. Not to mention I often buy books that are old/out of print, like the Selected Journals of L.M. Montgomery 5-volume series I am finally finishing up after 6 months. Volumes II-V I bought off of Amazon Marketplace. Or Agnes Newton Keith's Borneo Trilogy, published in the 1930's and 1940's. I also have 1st editions of A Summer Place from 1958, and skater Sonja Henie's autobiography from 1940. Can't get any of those on Kindle!

I buy DVD movies and have several TV series on DVD because, while Netflix and other streaming media is nice, sometimes movies and shows get removed. Netflix removed Emergency! before I was able to finish the 6th season, for example, and they took off one of my favorite movies, The Moth Diaries. Buying the DVD's means I get to watch them as often as I want, whenever I want.

I prefer to buy CD's because you don't get liner notes with downloaded albums, just the cover art. Also, I support numerous regional performers, and they tend to release their music on physical CD's. I've been known to drop close to $100 on music at folk festivals if enough bands show up that I like.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:53 AM

24 posts, read 11,740 times
Its my hobby to collect different types of book, DVD and Magazines. However now a days its hard to find it in retail or online shop. I still use double layer DVD that stores nearly 6 GB data and use it for backup purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or