U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:55 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,365 posts, read 959,654 times

Advertisements

I buy examples of all physical media, if they are of interest to me, but not as a reselling business. Physical media(books, vinyl, CD, VHS, DVD, etc) cannot be allowed to vanish from the face of the Earth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 AM

8,046 posts, read 1,862,735 times
Yes, to all of those EXCEPT magazines. I honestly don't know why anyone would buy a magazine -- or at least not at full price.

I admit that I am a fast reader and scanner, but when I am waiting for any kind of an appointment, I can usually go through two People magazines or one news magazine in about 20 minutes. Admittedly, I don't read every article -- usually just one or two and skim the rest -- but still, I think -- at least for me -- that magazines would be a waste of money.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:36 AM

851 posts, read 502,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
Kids today will never appreciate the anticipation of listening to a CD in full or opening up a crisp new book.
All of my kids prefer real books, I suspect they're not alone in their age groups.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:50 AM

360 posts, read 258,767 times
I rarely by books. Not Compact discs or DVD anymore.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:15 PM

360 posts, read 258,767 times
* buy. Excuse the typing mistake.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:24 PM

5,834 posts, read 2,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
Everything has gone digital these days. Nobody buys albums or compact discs anymore, they download songs of iTunes or stream through Spotify. Nobody buys DVDs anymore, they watch Netflix or Hulu for entertainment. If people like to read books or magazines, they download ebooks and magazines off their tablets.

I am guilty of streaming, downloading, Netflixing, and reading ebooks just as much as everyone else but it makes me sad to see everyone going digital these days. Kids today will never appreciate the anticipation of listening to a CD in full or opening up a crisp new book.
I tried Netflix, and the streaming selection was total garbage. Every single movie that I wanted to watch and searched for, told me that I would have to upgrade to their DVD by Mail service to get that movie. The vast majority of movies on Netflix, are only available on DVD. So yes, if you like good movies, you must watch them on DVDs, even if you have Netflix. I guess if you just don't care what you watch, and are willing to watch whatever Netflix is streaming, maybe that would work. But I like to watch movies that I choose, so DVDs are a necessity.

For DVDs I buy them on eBay, for an average $5 price, I usually keep them to watch again. If I wanted to, I could re-eBay them and get my money back, except for the shipping charges. That's a way better deal the Netflix DVD by Mail. I also occasionally buy CDs, mostly rare hard to get music that I can't find to download for free, and independent artists.

As for books and magazines, I buy maybe about one book a year, mostly reference materials. Magazines I stopped reading about 25 years ago, when I first got online.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 AM

17,934 posts, read 21,810,333 times
Our Public Library in Las Vegas has a big store in the basement, where you can buy books for $1, and DVD's (huge selection) for $2 each. I picked up 40 DVD's on my last trip and it'll take me a couple months to play them all. Lots of books to choose from. I also pick up DVD's and books at Thrift Stores.

The glare of the computer screen gets more annoying every year and I spend less and less time online, due to that.

Much more relaxing to find good lighting and read a book, much more relaxing.

Yes, I have several magazine subscriptions, my favorite being The Economist.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:41 PM

5,834 posts, read 2,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Our Public Library in Las Vegas has a big store in the basement, where you can buy books for $1, and DVD's (huge selection) for $2 each. I picked up 40 DVD's on my last trip and it'll take me a couple months to play them all. Lots of books to choose from. I also pick up DVD's and books at Thrift Stores.

The glare of the computer screen gets more annoying every year and I spend less and less time online, due to that.

Much more relaxing to find good lighting and read a book, much more relaxing.

Yes, I have several magazine subscriptions, my favorite being The Economist.
Interesting I have never had a problem with computer screens. I actually have a harder time reading books, magazines, and newspapers than from a computer screen. Maybe that's why I prefer digital to printed. To read from paper you have to have a good light source, and adjust the paper to reflect the light. That causes me a lot of eye strain. With a computer I have no eye strain whatsoever. The screen is always the perfect brightness. If the text is too small I just enlarge it. I can't do that with printed matter. Maybe the fact that I'm severely near sighted might have something to do with it.

I agree that DVDs are a good value. I don't do it often, but I recently bought an entire TV series, 250 episodes on 25 DVDs for $33. I just noticed that the episodes are available for streaming on Amazon prime for $1.99 each. My god, that would cost me $500 to stream the entire series.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:58 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,184,670 times
Every six weeks or so, I take my disabled uncle on what my friend refers to as a '1990s shopping trip' where he buys all the items mentioned here except for books. We're doing our part to keep physical objects from becoming obsolete.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:34 PM

4,525 posts, read 1,732,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

I agree that DVDs are a good value. I don't do it often, but I recently bought an entire TV series, 250 episodes on 25 DVDs for $33. I just noticed that the episodes are available for streaming on Amazon prime for $1.99 each. My god, that would cost me $500 to stream the entire series.
Plus, what if someday they decide to take said series off the site? With DVD's and other physical copies of "streaming media," you can watch or listen to it as much as you want to. If I find something on Netflix or on TV I like, I will find it and buy it in physical media for my own permanent use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or