U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 AM
 
6,178 posts, read 2,792,446 times
Reputation: 17517

Advertisements

No, no one buys DVDs, CD, books, or magazines anymore. All the DVDs, CDs, books, and magazines currently being published are displayed in stores for two weeks, then they are taken directly to the landfills, in secret black government helicopters, or ground up and burned for use in creating secret chemtrails in the sky.

Really, you ought to brush up on the use of the word "anyone" some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
28,086 posts, read 16,343,263 times
Reputation: 10090
DVDs, yes. I hate digital downloads. CDs depend on the artists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Watervliet, NY
4,534 posts, read 1,738,440 times
Reputation: 8327
I will confess that I spent literally all weekend downloading from a site that converts YouTube vids to MP3 files. All of the music that I was converting is out of print and very difficult to find in non-vinyl format, like the promo LP that Johnny Cash did for the Victoria Station restaurant chain. It's also all stuff I listened to growing up, so someone in my family already owns a copy of it, so it's quasi-Fair Use Act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 04:52 PM
 
6,178 posts, read 2,792,446 times
Reputation: 17517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I will confess that I spent literally all weekend downloading from a site that converts YouTube vids to MP3 files. All of the music that I was converting is out of print and very difficult to find in non-vinyl format, like the promo LP that Johnny Cash did for the Victoria Station restaurant chain. It's also all stuff I listened to growing up, so someone in my family already owns a copy of it, so it's quasi-Fair Use Act.
Literally? You mean you got started at 12:00:01 on Saturday, and you plan to continue right on through to 11:59:59 on Sunday, only allowing brief breaks to go to the bathroom or to get a snack out of the fridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 07:39 PM
 
2,636 posts, read 605,241 times
Reputation: 3372
Quote:
Everything has gone digital these days. Nobody buys albums or compact discs anymore, they download songs of iTunes or stream through Spotify. Nobody buys DVDs anymore, they watch Netflix or Hulu for entertainment. If people like to read books or magazines, they download ebooks and magazines off their tablets.
You do know that all those formats are digital right? I can often buy used for a buck or two and rip them...if everything fails, I still have the hardcopy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I will confess that I spent literally all weekend downloading from a site that converts YouTube vids to MP3 files.
You know, Firefox has plugins that'll do that with just about anything...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,769 posts, read 11,114,965 times
Reputation: 35139
Stores are selling DVDs, and people are buying them.

We have an extensive DVD collection. Last year, about 2 weeks before Christmas, one Walmart was selling DVDs for $1.97. What I liked, was that they were displayed on eye-level racks instead of tossed in the usual bins. We don't pay for premium channels or Netflix (and don't intend to). DVDs can be watched again and again--in their entirety, without scenes edited or omitted for commercials, or censored, as The Godfather was the other day (Really? The Godfather?) at midnight. In addition, I'm not perched on the computer all day. And I'd rather curl up with a book than a Nook.

Yes, there's still a market for DVDs and books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2017, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,769 posts, read 11,114,965 times
Reputation: 35139
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Gone Girl, the DVD, is on sale at Target this week, I think - I saw it for ten bucks, which is a few dollars cheaper than going to the theater to see it a few weeks ago. Sometimes the DVD is cheaper than going to the movies these days. Large popcorn is 8 bucks now, I think. It's insane.

On those rare occasions when we go to the movies, I carry the big purse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,368 posts, read 964,047 times
Reputation: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Stores are selling DVDs, and people are buying them.

We have an extensive DVD collection. Last year, about 2 weeks before Christmas, one Walmart was selling DVDs for $1.97. What I liked, was that they were displayed on eye-level racks instead of tossed in the usual bins. We don't pay for premium channels or Netflix (and don't intend to). DVDs can be watched again and again--in their entirety, without scenes edited or omitted for commercials, or censored, as The Godfather was the other day (Really? The Godfather?) at midnight. In addition, I'm not perched on the computer all day. And I'd rather curl up with a book than a Nook.

Yes, there's still a market for DVDs and books.

There's a reason that Walmart was fire-selling them for under $2 a piece - to get rid of them! In ten years there will be no physical media being produced. You can still visit my house to play a record, cassette, CD, VHS or DVD, or flip open a book and actually touch and read physical pages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY 🇺🇸
36,769 posts, read 11,114,965 times
Reputation: 35139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
There's a reason that Walmart was fire-selling them for under $2 a piece - to get rid of them! In ten years there will be no physical media being produced. You can still visit my house to play a record, cassette, CD, VHS or DVD, or flip open a book and actually touch and read physical pages.

Well they're still selling DVDs this year, but not at that price. And doesn't every store want to sell its merchandise?

Books aren't going anywhere. And there will always be DVDs to buy. As another poster said, you can buy a TV program's entire run on the cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,505 posts, read 614,544 times
Reputation: 1202
I don't buy magazines but I have five or six different subscriptions at home. I used the soon-to-expire frequent flyer mileage to redeem for subscriptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top