U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:23 AM

66 posts, read 81,029 times

Advertisements

Everything has gone digital these days. Nobody buys albums or compact discs anymore, they download songs of iTunes or stream through Spotify. Nobody buys DVDs anymore, they watch Netflix or Hulu for entertainment. If people like to read books or magazines, they download ebooks and magazines off their tablets.

I am guilty of streaming, downloading, Netflixing, and reading ebooks just as much as everyone else but it makes me sad to see everyone going digital these days. Kids today will never appreciate the anticipation of listening to a CD in full or opening up a crisp new book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 03:19 PM

13,058 posts, read 7,929,748 times
Yes we still buy dvds, books, and subscribe to a few magazines.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:35 PM

24,326 posts, read 33,572,976 times
DVDs, rarely.
CDs, never.
Books, yes.
Magazines, meh. Never was very much into them.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:50 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,434,711 times
"Does Anyone Buy Compact Discs, DVDs, Books, or Magazines Anymore? "

Sure, people do.
IF no one was buying them, they would not be available anymore....

Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 AM

40,072 posts, read 48,968,363 times
I'm amassing a big DVD and CD collection right now. Prices are so low that it would be a crime not to do so.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:57 AM

7,099 posts, read 2,585,527 times
I don't buy that many DVDs, maybe two a year and usually not movies, but documentaries - travel, cooking, any subjects I'm interested in at the time. I buy a couple of books a year. I frequently buy magazines that I don't currently subscribe to - they are practically giving away magazine subscriptions these days. You buy one and they give a gift to your friends even. Still, I find it hard to pass up a good magazine on the stands - it's an impulse buy. I love magazines because I can tear the pages out that I like - how can you tear a digital page out? Even if you could, it would be harder to find it. Maybe, I am not making sense because it's late.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:41 AM

10,546 posts, read 5,805,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
Everything has gone digital these days. Nobody buys albums or compact discs anymore, they download songs of iTunes or stream through Spotify. Nobody buys DVDs anymore, they watch Netflix or Hulu for entertainment. If people like to read books or magazines, they download ebooks and magazines off their tablets.

I am guilty of streaming, downloading, Netflixing, and reading ebooks just as much as everyone else but it makes me sad to see everyone going digital these days. Kids today will never appreciate the anticipation of listening to a CD in full or opening up a crisp new book.
Let's see........ordered and received the third season of ST:TNG in DVD last week. Have the first season of "Judging Amy" (in PAL DVD) on order. Bought the works of Mauricio Garces Recuerdos De Nuestro Cine 6 Peliculas (La Cama, Como Atrapar a Un Don Juan,el Criado Malcriado, Esperame En Siberia Vida Mia, La Otra Mujer, Napoleoncito) in DVD in October. Picked up a Sandahl Bergman flick in VHS, they were kind enough to send me a DVD copy as well, that same month.

I often hit 1/2 Price Books and come home with oodles of books, lots of VHS, some CD, a few LP's, a cassette tape every now and then.

At festivals, I buy albums of Tartanic and Circa Paleo on CD. If I need to learn a belly dance routine, I find out the name of the album that the teacher has and then go to Amazon to order it

FURTHER, I don't use Netflix, don't watch anything on Hulu, don't download songs, do not know this Spotify.

A and B at least.

A: I make out like a bandit with the surplus economy by having the infrastructure to use it. Further, I can get my hands on it when it isn't in a "common" format of this modern world. Lack of Region 1 does not stop me.

B: Buying the CD at festival when the group is playing is a lot more fun than sitting at the computer and doing it afterwards. One gets into the energy of them, gets to feel part of the crowd.

As far as books go, if it isn't at 1/2 Price then it is something special like "Death and Deliverance" by Robert Mason Lee or "Just Wind: Tales Of Two Pilots Under Pressure"
by William Armstrong Jr. which aren't necessarily available in "modern" format......not that I would go for a Kindle anyhow. There is something more moving to actually reading a book, especially about a personal quest, than doing it on a computer.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:43 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I'm amassing a big DVD and CD collection right now. Prices are so low that it would be a crime not to do so.
I have to agree there. I buy CDs all the time at our Goodwills and they only charge $2 a CD. You do have to check though, that they aren't scratched up or that the disc is still there and the right one. I also buy them at FYE all the time, although I hate the stickers they put on some of the cases. Some come right off, while others resist all attempts for removal.

I started collecting about 2 and a half years ago and am up to almost 500 CDs and about 60 music DVDs.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:21 PM

6,855 posts, read 3,860,001 times
The last magazine subscriptions are running out and we are down to a couple of DVDs a year. In the case where an artist won't allow his music to be sold on line a single is more likely to be stolen then a full CD is to be bought

Old 02-04-2015, 12:25 PM

812 posts, read 1,010,966 times
I occasionally buy books, but they are reference-type books vs. fiction. We don't buy CDs or DVDs anymore, as we do the digital downloads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or