U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:28 AM

66 posts, read 81,013 times

Advertisements

Everyone is shopping online these days so why hasn't online grocery shopping caught on? I think it would be SO much more convenient to buy groceries on a mobile device and have it delivered to your home or office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 01:11 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,417,475 times
People like to select their own produce and meats.
Since you have to go to the store for that anyway, might as well get the other stuff too.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:06 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,964,501 times
^^^ditto. I don't want someone else to choose my produce, meat and even canned or boxed foods. In the store I can
see where the item came from (avoid Chinese products). Also, I've had bagger's in the past ruin some items buy placing
heavy items on top of fruits, meat and bakery products which either bruised or punctured the wrapping on the meat &
having that liquid flow all over what else was in the bag. That is why I like to bag things myself or inspect it before I
leave.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:52 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,774,071 times
It would just make people more lazy. Grocery shopping is one of the things that needs to be done in person.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:18 PM

40,062 posts, read 48,942,384 times
I'm not allowing online people making decisions on anything that goes into my stomach.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:49 PM

9,780 posts, read 11,258,042 times
I live twenty miles from town so I don't look forward to free delivery anytime soon. Everybody along the fifty mile stretch between Cody and Yellowstone National Park (perhaps three hundred households) would need to buy regularly to make it practical. I need to look at produce and meat as well.

I do order online from both Amazon and Walmart as well as a number of specialty sellers. Refrigerated shipping is becoming less expensive and many products are only available at a few places in the country. My experience has been excellent. I order citrus fruits from Florida, the only way to get Florida produce. Again, my experience has been excellent.

When more people do this as I am sure they will and when something like google maps street view is available for grocery stores since we need to see what's new I believe that online shopping will just about replace store shopping for most people.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:27 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,660,550 times
There are stores that will deliver; however, as long as I can still continue to get to the store myself I will do so.

Mainly for the reasons others mentioned: quality of produce and meat! I may be wrong, but I would fear that the produce/meat the store would select for me would be items that aren't selling or should have been tossed the day before.

Also, how long do the perishables sit around before delivered to your door? I saw a grocery cart filled with food (some perishables) that was waiting to be delivered. . . no idea how long it had been sitting there, or how much longer it would sit there before being bagged, put on the delivery van and delivered.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:26 AM

66 posts, read 81,013 times
I don't drive and hate having to rely on public transporation to get from point A to point B and would much rather spend a little extra on quality grocery shipping. I wish Amazon would expand their grocery service.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:45 AM

11,577 posts, read 6,392,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
There are stores that will deliver; however, as long as I can still continue to get to the store myself I will do so.

Mainly for the reasons others mentioned: quality of produce and meat! I may be wrong, but I would fear that the produce/meat the store would select for me would be items that aren't selling or should have been tossed the day before.

Also, how long do the perishables sit around before delivered to your door? I saw a grocery cart filled with food (some perishables) that was waiting to be delivered. . . no idea how long it had been sitting there, or how much longer it would sit there before being bagged, put on the delivery van and delivered.

Me too. I can't always say that when my spouse goes out to pick something up that he will come back with the item I wanted. We don't really live that far and I like to get out and do what I'd like to do and not necessarily rely on someone else to do it. To each their own though.

I've done 'online' buying and sometimes, for me anyways, it can be a hit or miss.

If they don't pick up the exact item you wanted at the grocery store, what are you going to do? Call them back up and scream and shout, just store the item and maybe not consume at all so it goes bad and you still end up throwing it out, or lastly just grin and bear it and eat it?

How much will your specific delivery person/company charge you on a monthly basis or per-item basis and will returns/go fetch a different item be calculated into the cost of the delivery service?

Then, there's tipping....

Yeah, until I'm quite in the rocker and can't get up, I'll just do my own thang .

Old 02-09-2015, 12:41 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,774,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
I don't drive and hate having to rely on public transporation to get from point A to point B and would much rather spend a little extra on quality grocery shipping. I wish Amazon would expand their grocery service.
Huh? It's simple...live near a grocery store. That's actually one of the primary factors for someone who lives in a very urban city and wants to get around car-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or