U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM

6,846 posts, read 3,858,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Odd. Last time I was discussing this at my PO because of the 70lb weight limit for USPS, the lady told me they had to be able to handle packages up to that weight.
I had asked if they had a cart because I didn't think I could lift it from the floor up onto the counter and she implied it was my problem and that she was required to be able to do it.
In actually, it turned out she couldn't lift it either (was not even the 70 but only about 50) and
got a cart
We have to dead lift 70lbs when hired. Maybe twenty years ago for the bulk of the carrier force. There is no requalification program. On the station work floor a carrier will inform a supervisor that it is too heavy. The supervisor will come back that she has no one available to help, the other carriers will only take what is on their route because management complaints if you're twenty seconds late. So the carrier simply scans attempted in the office and leaves a notice in your box.

As the service shifts from advertising delivery to a parcel delivery service they are trying hard to change the culture but the aging workforce and vehicles are increasingly unable to handle their new products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 11:24 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,671,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Smart post is for very small items. Fed Ex does not use it for two day delivery. Its the cheapest method specially for small packages. Since they deliver it to local post office it adds a day is my experience. The company I mentioned stated it would be sent second day Fedex instead of second day UPS.
Speaking to the personnel at my PO, they have to wait upwards of 8:30am for Fedex/UPS to arrive so it can be sorted for delivery on the same day per contractual obligations. I have a package from UPS that was scanned in at 8:16 this morning and now shows as out for delivery. The delivery person didn't start their route until 10:02 when the tracking numbers were released again. My PO will get a second delivery around noon and depending on how its marked I sometimes get a second postal delivery late in the day, but this is rare so it arrives the next business day.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:09 PM

88 posts, read 93,993 times
Folks UPS and USPS are two different operations!
  • UPS is United Parcel Service of America, Inc.
  • USPS is United States Postal Service
I saw from prior post that some were interposing or intertwining interchanging these two distinct different services. They are different with different services and tracking systems. Just wanted to clarify.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:40 PM

6,846 posts, read 3,858,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncourtesy View Post
I saw from prior post that some were interposing or intertwining interchanging these two distinct different services. They are different with different services and tracking systems. Just wanted to clarify.
UPS and others subcontracts delivery to the USPS and thus their policies and work force ethics come into play. With UPS surcharges they may also subcontract more work to try to get back into the black.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncourtesy View Post

I don't see anywhere in this thread where we've exchanged Smartpost (for FedEx), Surepost (for UPS) Global Mail (for DHL) for USPS. As far as I can tell we've just not used their secondary names of Smartpost, Surepost, and Global Mail. But thanks for the info, but the wasn't necessary.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:32 PM

fwiw

For FedEx and UPS, a Cheaper Route: the Post Office - WSJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or