U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,067 times

Advertisements

First of all, I'm so sorry for this being my first post. Been a long time lurker (lurked around for moving to Chicago recently) and thought I'd give it a shot by putting this up. I had no idea city-data would have a shopping section!

I'm currently a grad student doing a study on discounts and shopping behaviors for my current class. I have several ideas based on bringing fun and story telling to earning rewards. I was wondering if you guys could take a look and let me know what your thoughts were on these topics. Again, these are very general concepts and not really developed.

Concept 1

After a certain number of check in's & purchases at a specific venue, you are paired with your friends with a similar shopping habits and rewarded with exclusive deals to come into the store and use the deal together. Bigger the group, the bigger the deal.

Concept 2

A person buys a product and has rewards to pass out to specific number of friends (let's say something like 3.) As soon as the buyer sends it out, the discount time period starts to count down before your friends can redeem it. Again, this is more focused in physically visiting a store... Kind of giving a time aspect to an exclusive deal. The discount amount will slowly decrease as the time goes by. If your friends do follow through and redeem your rewards, the buyer is then rewarded as well.

Concept 3

Share your shopping story with the world. If another user checks into a store using your shopping story, both the writer and the reader is rewarded with discount opportunities. Every month or so, the most compelling and creative stories are voted selected and offered a prize for your creative efforts.

If you could tell me which of the ideas may work or may not work for you... or which one seems the most fun and willing to share with your friends.

Again, this is just for class so no need to be too serious about the details.
This is probably more geared towards women and people into social shopping experience as opposed to looking for extreme discounts and rewards.

Thanks everyone and I'll do my best to be a more active member here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:29 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,925,163 times
If I understand correctly concept 2 is sort of like discount coupons that expire ? I do not really like the idea of them lowering in value better to just let them expire then be worth less over time. I guess I have to have friends that like the same things I do and need the same things I do but that would be the best one for me. It reminds me of signing someone up for a service like cable or a fitness club and getting a discount on the service yourself . They used to do that. I do not like to bug my friends to sign up for anything but handing them a coupon is okay.

Concept 1 I do not have that many friends to come with me to anywhere to shop not sure how to gather a group for that . I know that if I did get a group together they would be at best casual acquaintances not friends and maybe total strangers.

Concept 3 .. I could certainly write a shopping story but I think people would begin to think the stories were all fake and made up and not real to get people to choose them. Not sure what type of story you mean ?

Last edited by vanguardisle; 02-10-2015 at 09:52 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,067 times
vanguardisle,

thanks for your input.

As for concept 2, I can see how intrusive it can be to get your friends involved in something they may or may not be interested in.

As for all of these, I guess an easy example to envision is let's say starbucks. It may get a cup of joe in the west coast but your friend might get a ping in the east coast with a coupon offer for starbucks. As for coupon expiring, maybe it's not something that diminishes value but maybe something for a day for a simple and quick items like coffee or a sandwich.

I'm starting to realize that this may not be the most applicable approach to something like retail shopping but more service/food related.

For concept 3, yea, I can see that people taking advantage of the system for the sake of rewards and lose the validity of the program's purpose.

Again, thanks for your insights, they are SUPER helpful.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:52 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,925,163 times
Glad I was a help. You're very welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or