U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:27 PM

19,285 posts, read 14,119,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I'm not a Costco member because I have a moral problem with being forced to be a member of anything just to walk into the store.

Setting that aside, I WAS a Citibank customer for many years. If they truly are going with Citi for their cards, it's a big mistake and I guarantee not only satisfaction will tank, they will get a LOT less approvals for that card.

A moral issue with having to be part of a club? Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,280,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
A moral issue with having to be part of a club? Lol
Lower prices on things? Cool.
A special area for members? Cool.
Coupons and other perks for members? Cool.

Just to walk into the building? Nuh uh. That's not a "club" that's a cult.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:05 AM

19,285 posts, read 14,119,525 times
Quote:
Lower prices on things? Cool.
A special area for members? Cool.
Coupons and other perks for members? Cool.

Just to walk into the building? Nuh uh. That's not a "club" that's a cult.

I'm not sure where the moral issue comes from however you can go into the building without the membership. The food court and liquor store are available to anyone and if you just wanted to walk around all you'd have to do is ask.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:41 AM

21,788 posts, read 12,459,910 times
In some states, the pharmacy is also open to the general public.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:56 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,280,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm not sure where the moral issue comes from however you can go into the building without the membership. The food court and liquor store are available to anyone and if you just wanted to walk around all you'd have to do is ask.
No, no you cannot. At least not in California (San Diego) you can't. The little underpaid nerd at the front will not allow you to walk in if you don't have a cult card. Just like the Naval Exchange - but that's way different. I actually SUPPORT the Naval Exchange blocking civilians that have no association because I support the idea that military should get that type of treatment. Plus you just need a military ID which anyone in your family can get if you're military.

Unlike Costco where they charge you for the privilege of walking into the building to pay more money. I don't think so. And I AM referring to just the membership card, not applying for the AMEX.

They've needed to change that model for decades. It SHOULD be, membership is 100% optional, there's no front screener, but if you choose to sign up you get amazing things like 50% off of stuff and free stuff when you swipe. If you don't have the card, fine, you can still come in, shop freely, buy whatever you want, but expect no discounts. They'd make millions more.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:00 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,212,982 times
Why should they change their model when all of their profit comes from membership fees? It's obviously been very successful for them. And how is a membership a cult? If you belong to a country club or a swim club, is that a cult?

Old 03-08-2015, 05:33 PM

19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times
My daughter in CA who has no membership card can go into Costco to get prescriptions and access the food court. Same with Sam's.

And Costco allows non-members to shop if they are using Costco Cash Cards.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:39 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,072,495 times
From what I heard they are going back to the old American express when I first got one. raising credit standards and charging fees. Once others came out reason I dropped mine. It became apparent when there fees meant a lot of places didn't not accept them. I use Visa and Discover and have never looked back. One thing it did for me was then it was paid off monthly and I never broke that habit. I mostly use discover and one thing I love is the American voice on the line when you call and always being helped with no problem .

Old 03-09-2015, 01:57 PM

19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
From what I heard they are going back to the old American express when I first got one. raising credit standards and charging fees. Once others came out reason I dropped mine. It became apparent when there fees meant a lot of places didn't not accept them. I use Visa and Discover and have never looked back. One thing it did for me was then it was paid off monthly and I never broke that habit. I mostly use discover and one thing I love is the American voice on the line when you call and always being helped with no problem .
Looks like it's gonna be Citi Bank branded Visa

What to expect from Costco's new credit card deal with Visa and Citigroup | Fox Business

Old 03-10-2015, 01:07 AM

9,557 posts, read 12,496,958 times
Quote:
The little underpaid nerd at the front will not allow you to walk in if you don't have a cult card.

They've needed to change that model for decades. It SHOULD be, membership is 100% optional, there's no front screener, but if you choose to sign up you get amazing things like 50% off of stuff and free stuff when you swipe. If you don't have the card, fine, you can still come in, shop freely, buy whatever you want, but expect no discounts. They'd make millions more.
That nerd at the door is not underpaid. That's why Costco has such high retention rates. That's why you have to wait for a new warehouse to open or someone dies before you can get a shot at a job. Not to mention, the members like that nerd at the door to keep the non member low lives out.

As for the model, it has, is and will continue to work. The model is based on a certain type of customer. These members are normally not your average persons but a slightly higher class of people. It may not be evident but to Costco, it's clear as glass the need to keep the membership high. I suspect many who dislike Costco's membership policy are just upset because they really can't afford the membership fees. If you don;t like the membership, don't join!, just go to Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or