Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:35 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

They were not renegotiating deals every year - this one has been in place for over a decade. As someone with some experience in the field, I can reasonably estimate that Costco and Amex were negotiating for 1-2 years and it probably went down to the wire before they finally threw in the towel and decided not to extend. Any deal they sign now will almost certainly be for a minimum of 5 years, possibly longer, with renewal terms in there for another 5 or more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 12:40 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The Costco around here has the cheapest gasoline by a margin. They [currently] take Amex, Discover, Coscto credit cards, along with debit cards. Not cash.
I've noticed the full service gas stations at Costco's do accept Discover as well. I initially noticed this in Oregon. However, I saw the same thing in New Jersey. It's so weird because I'm used to them only accepting AMEX.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Found the answer here... no Discover anywhere.

http://www.costco.com/gasoline-q-and-a.html
Read the thread. I already posted that they do accept Discover at the Costco pumps near me. The pump attendant has never denied my Discover card. You also don't have to be a member to get gasoline at our Costcos.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:29 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Costco is not the only one. I've been to numerous other businesses that had signs up that they no longer accept Amex.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:37 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Well if they are moving to Capitol One with a mastercard, most folks will be ok.
I use an Amex at Costco that is NOT cobranded with them, you can use any Amex and I'm sure the same if they switch to Capitol One MasterCard, you will be able to use any Mastercard

Old 02-18-2015, 07:09 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well if they are moving to Capitol One with a mastercard, most folks will be ok.
I use an Amex at Costco that is NOT cobranded with them, you can use any Amex and I'm sure the same if they switch to Capitol One MasterCard, you will be able to use any Mastercard
yep, I think they are talking about what credit cards will be branded under the Costco name which is not the same as what cards are accepted. Currently, its the Amex card that has the Costco name on it but they accept every amex card no matter who's name is on it. I think you are correct that if you get a Costco branded card it will be the Capital One Mastercard but they will accept all mastercards.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:27 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Looks like they got a replacement for Amex. Costco will be partnering with Citibank for a co-branded Visa card, and will start accepting Visas April 1, 2016.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:31 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Looks like they got a replacement for Amex. Costco will be partnering with Citibank for a co-branded Visa card, and will start accepting Visas April 1, 2016.
I'm not a Costco member because I have a moral problem with being forced to be a member of anything just to walk into the store.

Setting that aside, I WAS a Citibank customer for many years. If they truly are going with Citi for their cards, it's a big mistake and I guarantee not only satisfaction will tank, they will get a LOT less approvals for that card.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:18 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Very interesting, I hadn't see that yet! I have had a Citibank card for several decades now, it was my very first credit card when I was still a student! But I guess I will get another one.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:23 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yeah, that will be much more convenient for me if they are pairing with Visa. Though I really only shop with my debit card there. I try not to use my credit card anymore except for emergencies when an expense comes up right before payday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products