U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 02:21 PM

21,797 posts, read 12,489,838 times

Advertisements

American Express said Costco Wholesale would stop accepting its cards in the United States from next April, after the companies failed to reach terms on renewal of an agreement.

Costco to stop accepting AmEx cards from next April.

No word yet on what their plans are for afterwards. It would be a quite a change is they started accepting Mastercard and/or Visa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 11:33 PM

13,300 posts, read 21,227,372 times
I read that today. Just this past Monday they had people walking around our local Costco soliciting sign ups for the AmEx card.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:45 PM

384 posts, read 461,380 times
Ill take discover over capital one anyday now

Old 02-13-2015, 01:39 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
The Costco around here has the cheapest gasoline by a margin. They [currently] take Amex, Discover, Coscto credit cards, along with debit cards. Not cash.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:40 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
Ill take discover over capital one anyday now
Capital One is not a credit card network...

Old 02-13-2015, 09:37 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,217,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Capital One is not a credit card network...
Correct, but Capital One is rumored to be the issuer of the next Costco-branded card, which would likely be a Mastercard. This is the switch that happened in Canada.

Quote:
The Costco around here has the cheapest gasoline by a margin. They [currently] take Amex, Discover, Coscto credit cards, along with debit cards.
Are you sure they take Discover? The Costco gas stations I've been to only accept Amex, Costco gift cards, and I think debit cards, though I've never tried to use a debit card there.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:04 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,455,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The Costco around here has the cheapest gasoline by a margin. They [currently] take Amex, Discover, Coscto credit cards, along with debit cards. Not cash.
No Discover at my three areas Costcos.
I wish they would....

Old 02-13-2015, 10:07 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,455,867 times
Found the answer here... no Discover anywhere.

http://www.costco.com/gasoline-q-and-a.html

Old 02-13-2015, 04:45 PM

19,147 posts, read 19,988,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
American Express said Costco Wholesale would stop accepting its cards in the United States from next April, after the companies failed to reach terms on renewal of an agreement.

Costco to stop accepting AmEx cards from next April.

No word yet on what their plans are for afterwards. It would be a quite a change is they started accepting Mastercard and/or Visa!
This showd up in the news today.

Costco Divorce May Not Mark End for AmEx Loyalty Points - MoneyBeat - WSJ

Old 02-13-2015, 11:57 PM

493 posts, read 1,024,291 times
It's annoying.

I've had my AmEx card for less than a year -- I got it specifically so I could use it at Costco (a lot easier to pay for gas that way instead of having to load a Costco gift card, because sometimes I just need a fill-up and don't need to go into the store). There are also certain buyer-protection guarantees that make an AmEx card attractive (I don't charge much to it, so the money-back game doesn't really pay off for me).

And it's been my backup card for a MasterCard -- my issuer switched a separate Visa to a MC a few years ago, and at that point I didn't want the same issuer handling both my cards. (When you're traveling, I found it's a good idea to have a backup in case a rental-car company or hotel puts a high "deposit" hold on your account, limiting what you can charge elsewhere -- and sometimes those companies take their sweet time reversing that charge.)

So with a reduced value to me, I'll either rely on my original MC (a plane mileage card, which would actually be useful if I could ever get the vacation days from work that I want) or search for another card, which not only is a pain, it doesn't look great factored into a person's credit rating, dropping one card for another so quickly.

It also bothers me that Costco is so quick to jump to another credit card. Is it going to end up renegotiating its deals every year?

And maybe it's time I stop throwing out all those Discover and CapOne mailers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or