Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:59 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Although just across the "New England" dividing line, into NYS, the regional chain, Stewart's , still provides a full half gallon.
I believe Blue Bell also is still a full half gallon which I think is available at Price Chopper and Walmart.
And Costco has changed the packaging from a 1 ga container to 2 1/2 ga containers.

Costco changed the packaging on its Kirkland Signature vanilla ice cream. Instead of packaging the ice cream in a one-gallon container Costco’s new vanilla ice cream package includes two half-gallon containers and retails for $7.29.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 06:10 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Costco sizing/pricing isn't relevant to general downsizing. (not all or many shop there that I know of) - regardless: a gallon of ice cream at the supposed store that sells for less: $7.29 for a gallon? - NO WAY

Old 03-06-2015, 07:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Costco sizing/pricing isn't relevant to general downsizing. (not all or many shop there that I know of) - regardless: a gallon of ice cream at the supposed store that sells for less: $7.29 for a gallon? - NO WAY
Seems a great price to me, the regular grocery store 1.75 quart runs $3.99 on sale, that's almost $9 for a gallon.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I will take it that my outrage over this matter is not shared.
Oh, it's shared by me lol, and I can't tell you the last time I bought ice cream. I mentioned elsewhere that when all the individual yogurt cups were reduced to 5.3 oz., I wouldn't be buying them (I like to toss flavored varieties in the freezer). This week I noticed that Wegmans Greek yogurt was smaller, so I got the 32-oz. container.

This product downsizing is getting ridiculous, and it's nothing more than a sneaky price increase. Companies are hoping that Stepford shoppers don't notice or don't care. Sadly, it appears that they're right.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Oh, it's shared by me lol, and I can't tell you the last time I bought ice cream. I mentioned elsewhere that when all the individual yogurt cups were reduced to 5.3 oz., I wouldn't be buying them (I like to toss flavored varieties in the freezer). This week I noticed that Wegmans Greek yogurt was smaller, so I got the 32-oz. container.

This product downsizing is getting ridiculous, and it's nothing more than a sneaky price increase. Companies are hoping that Stepford shoppers don't notice or don't care. Sadly, it appears that they're right.
Would you prefer the size stay the same but the price increases?

Old 03-14-2015, 07:03 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times
We bought some cheapy ice cream the other day $1.99 because my hubby had a hankering and I just looked and it and it is 1.75.too....ALWAYS SAVE brand....we have not bought it in a long time and it is horrible but he ate it..and there aren't 14 servings like it says in there either...

Count me in for the outrage...and to add..the way they package and sell toilet paper, you need a Physics degree to calculate which is the better deal..if there is such a thing..double roll- mega roll- two ply roll quilted...then they list how many feet of roll you get in each 24 roll pack so instead of trying to find the better deal and getting my calculator out..I grab one...

Old 03-14-2015, 05:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
It makes sense to have smaller packaging. Family grocery budgets have stayed relatively the same over the last decade. Increasing the price of ice cream, rather than shrinking the packaging, would make it difficult for families to fit it into their budgets.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:10 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Count me in for the outrage...and to add..the way they package and sell toilet paper, you need a Physics degree to calculate which is the better deal..if there is such a thing..double roll- mega roll- two ply roll quilted...then they list how many feet of roll you get in each 24 roll pack so instead of trying to find the better deal and getting my calculator out..I grab one...
Yeah, I hate that. You have some packages that list how many squares there are instead how many feet, which makes it almost impossible to compare the price. We were trying to figure out what would be a good deal the other week because the kind we normally buy is now only being sold in 24 rolls or more. I do not have the storage space for that.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:14 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Or, the pound of coffee, or 5 pounds of sugar......
Or the cans of tuna that were 6oz and are now 5 oz...and is it my imagination, or did the the Ritz cracker box suddenly get smaller?

Old 03-15-2015, 05:01 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yeah, I hate that. You have some packages that list how many squares there are instead how many feet, which makes it almost impossible to compare the price. We were trying to figure out what would be a good deal the other week because the kind we normally buy is now only being sold in 24 rolls or more. I do not have the storage space for that.
That's the purpose of showing unit pricing on the shelf tags.
On stuff like TP, paper towels, etc, the packages almost, if not always , do also show the square feet so it can be compared easily that way, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products