U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 05:25 AM

28,441 posts, read 48,221,440 times

Advertisements

BEIJING - Declaring war on the "white pollution" choking its cities, farms and waterways, China is banning free plastic shopping bags and calling for a return to the cloth bags of old - steps largely welcomed by merchants and shoppers on Wednesday.

The measure eliminates the flimsiest bags and forces stores to charge for others, making China the latest nation to target plastic bags in a bid to cut waste and conserve resources.

Upgrade Browser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 07:55 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,905,931 times
Nice. European grocers do this, Aldi's does it too. Earth Fare donates money to charity if you use reusable bags.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:16 AM

324 posts, read 709,104 times
I think this is kind of funny because I remember when plastic bags were supposed to be better because they were recyclable. Our grocery store used to have a bin where you could bring your empty bags back to be recycled. These days I bring my own sturdy canvas bags anyway. They can get a little heavy, but it is also less trips out to the car to bring everything inside! I'm all about trying to be greener when we can. I'm also switching to more environmentally friendly cleaning products, like Pure Essentials and homemade cleaners for my kitchen and bathroom.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,623,103 times
When my husband goes shopping with me, he asks me to not be a "bag nazi". Either I say I don't want a bag, or if it is groceries, I ask for as few bags as possible. Then I put large items or items already IN a bag right back into the cart.

I also re-use bags for trash...I swear, I think only in America will people buy a product for the specific use of throwing it out! Of course, it is easy for us to take it out, and our big dog reminds us it has to go out when we leave the house anyway!

I've been doing this about 4 years. I have cut how many bags I get by 2 thirds. I know that my 200 bags a year won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but we can only be responsible for ourselves!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:16 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,755,004 times
They do this in Germany for as long as I can remember.
Most people will bring their own reusable cloth bags, or wicker baskets to do the shopping.

Oh, and on top of that, we DON'T have carry outs or baggers over there (unless, you are elderly or have a condition that requires it), and you pay for your shopping card ( one Euro coin, which is returned...... once the shopping card is returned, re - connected, locked into the other cards)
You will not find stray cards, dinging up cars over there, because everyone wants their money back!

Old 01-10-2008, 04:11 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,905,931 times
Just like Aldi's (which is German). But he/she means "carts" not cards.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:40 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,264,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BEIJING - Declaring war on the "white pollution" choking its cities, farms and waterways, China is banning free plastic shopping bags and calling for a return to the cloth bags of old - steps largely welcomed by merchants and shoppers on Wednesday.
Oh wow. That's going to make a BIG difference in their level of pollution
[said sarcastically. yes, it is a good thing to be doing, but I think it's more a PC/media attention gesture on their part]

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/wo...a/26china.html

Quote:
Public health is reeling. Pollution has made cancer China’s leading cause of death, the Ministry of Health says. Ambient air pollution alone is blamed for hundreds of thousands of deaths each year. Nearly 500 million people lack access to safe drinking water.
Environmental woes that might be considered catastrophic in some countries can seem commonplace in China: industrial cities where people rarely see the sun; children killed or sickened by lead poisoning or other types of local pollution; a coastline so swamped by algal red tides that large sections of the ocean no longer sustain marine life.
China’s problem has become the world’s problem. Sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides spewed by China’s coal-fired power plants fall as acid rain on Seoul, South Korea, and Tokyo. Much of the particulate pollution over Los Angeles originates in China, according to the Journal of Geophysical Research.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:58 AM

7,286 posts, read 13,688,913 times
Plastic bags are actually a big problem. I was just listening to a program the other day about islands of garbage forming thousands of miles from any landmass in the world's oceans. Plastic bags are a big part of the trash masses. Bags from taco bell and those generic "thank you" bags floating out in the Pacific....

Yeah, it ain't the end all and be all of conservation, but it's a step. If we only make changes if they are cure-alls, we'll never make changes.

Good for China. We should can 'em, too, as far as i'm concerned.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:17 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,755,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Just like Aldi's (which is German). But he/she means "carts" not cards.
Oooooppppssss......big, fat TYPO....LOL....sorry.
Yes...you know...the ones with the wheels on it....LOL.....
(Not the queen of hearts......huh. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products