U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 03:36 PM

24,503 posts, read 36,002,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Very good question.

OP? Have you met this person?

Why would he have to order perfume here, have them shipped to you, then re-shipped via another carrier?

Don't they sell perfume in his home country?

Sounds fishy.
Re-shipping of international orders is common practice since many vendors do not sell internationally. However, it's rarely done through a "friend".

Not all products are distributed to every country. I suggest you read the Mary Kay case study to learn more about this: https://hbr.org/product/mary-kay-cos...594023-PDF-ENG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 PM

40,679 posts, read 15,535,579 times
Mod note: This topic was cross-posted in another forum and the two threads have been merged here. If some posts appear out of order, that is the reason.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:44 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,263,007 times
Quote:
Sounds fishy.
When a situation like this suddenly sounds fishy at this point, the fishy sound you're hearing is an echo.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:55 PM

161 posts, read 196,700 times
Quote:
Very good question.

OP? Have you met this person?

Why would he have to order perfume here, have them shipped to you, then re-shipped via another carrier?

Don't they sell perfume in his home country?

Sounds fishy.
He used to be my classmate before I moved to US. He told me that he saw those perfume bottles were cheap here so he wanted to buy them here.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 PM

12,978 posts, read 13,025,823 times
There's a scam somewhere, but it's hard to tell who the scammer is. A collection agency can't collect a debt you didn't contract for, so I wouldn't be worried about that. The "manufacturer" may in fact just be a scammer who is trying to get the money out of you with threats.

The first thing to do is request copies of all files from them and find out who placed the order. That person is the one who should be paying the bill, not you. I suspect the manufacturer already knows they have been scammed and think you are a part of the operation. You need to clear that up directly with them.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:21 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,166,320 times
So report it to authorities.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 PM

9,636 posts, read 12,563,582 times
It's called Reshipping Stolen Goods and it's a theft scam. It works like this.

Some thief posses as a nice girl or lonely guy and befriends someone on the internet.

They tell the target that they want to buy something online but its not available to ship to their county.

They ask if it can be shipped to the target's house and can the target reship it to another country for them.

The target agrees and the items are ordered with a stolen or fake credit card.

The target receives the items and ship is as instructed leaving a paper trail with their handprints all over it.

Soon the seller contacts the target that a stolen or fake credit card was used and demands the return of their product

*** Here's where the scam may be one or the other ****

If the seller was a real victim, because the person receiving the items was aware and agreed to receiving the items AND reshipped them, they become 100% legally liable for the cost of the items if the sale was based on a stolen or fake credit card. They are not protected by the unordered merchandise protections because they were a party to the sale.
-as an alternative way this plays out-
Most likely the seller is also part of the scam as evident by the long delay to discover the stolen or fake credit card and/or why the product was so expensive for something that was actually a fake. But, since the target was the receiver who gave consent to ship to them and by their own hands reshipped it, they are on the hook to this seller for the money or merchandise.

At some point, the target is contacted by the seller and in time is told they are responsible. The target will need to pay up or settle with the seller. Often the seller offers a deal "because you are just as much a victim, lets settle this for only $xxxxx". You will notice at some point they will know who you shipped the good to and how and when it was shipped. All this plays into the target's complicity in the matter. Most targets will pay something usually by a means that isn't traceable like some prepaid card.

Hopefully, this is not the scam the OP got involved with so I would also be interested in hearing how this "friendship" came about. (Didn't something like 60 Minutes or 20/20 once did a report on this, even following the package to a DHL terminal in some foreign country where it disappeared for days but suddenly was found in the warehouse but missing the contents?)

Old 02-23-2015, 02:00 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,493,969 times
First was the perfume purchased from a legitimate store website or some crooked site peddling knock-off goods. Please give the web address.

Second. Were the goods purchased under your name and did the shipping label have your name on it when the package arrived.

Third. I understand you didn't give this "friend" a credit card number to use...is this correct?

I think what it boils down to is that no legit credit card of yours was used. So whatever credit card was used wouldn't have your name on it or was a fake.

You need to go down to the police station pronto and have a report filed. Make sure you get in the report the details of this and the fact that you had no knowledge of it. You will need this.

Copy the police report and mail it to the company and include a letter demanding that they turn over the ip address of the person who placed the order and prove it came from you. They may or may not have this info, its trivial to collect it so I don't see why they wouldn't.

Do not have any further contact with this company. let me repeat that. Do not have any further contact with this company.

Eventually they will sell the debt over to a collection agency or they will try to or if a party to it they will most likely just drop it.

I do not see how they can ping your credit report because they don't have your SSN nor your signature. But just in case, make sure you check it annually for the next few years and if it does show up immediately contact the credit agency and dispute the account and include a copy of the police report.

Other than that ignore their calls, if necessary change your number. If a collection agency comes after you then immediately respond and deny the charges and include a copy of the police report.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:46 AM

161 posts, read 196,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
First was the perfume purchased from a legitimate store website or some crooked site peddling knock-off goods. Please give the web address.

Second. Were the goods purchased under your name and did the shipping label have your name on it when the package arrived.

Third. I understand you didn't give this "friend" a credit card number to use...is this correct?

I think what it boils down to is that no legit credit card of yours was used. So whatever credit card was used wouldn't have your name on it or was a fake.

You need to go down to the police station pronto and have a report filed. Make sure you get in the report the details of this and the fact that you had no knowledge of it. You will need this.

Copy the police report and mail it to the company and include a letter demanding that they turn over the ip address of the person who placed the order and prove it came from you. They may or may not have this info, its trivial to collect it so I don't see why they wouldn't.

Do not have any further contact with this company. let me repeat that. Do not have any further contact with this company.

Eventually they will sell the debt over to a collection agency or they will try to or if a party to it they will most likely just drop it.

I do not see how they can ping your credit report because they don't have your SSN nor your signature. But just in case, make sure you check it annually for the next few years and if it does show up immediately contact the credit agency and dispute the account and include a copy of the police report.

Other than that ignore their calls, if necessary change your number. If a collection agency comes after you then immediately respond and deny the charges and include a copy of the police report.

1 ) the webstore is HSN
2) The goods were purchased under my name and the shipping labels have my name when it arrived. And I signed when I receive them.
3) I did not give my friend my credit card to use.

I called them this morning and had a fight over the phone with them and they demanded me to pay the money , if not they are going to send me to collection agency . I think they may have my signature on the UPS delivering paper. Please help.

Last edited by max100; 02-23-2015 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 AM

9,636 posts, read 12,563,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max100 View Post
1 ) the webstore is HSN
2) The goods were purchased under my name and the shipping labels have my name when it arrived. And I signed when I receive them.
3) I did not give my friend my credit card to use.

I called them this morning and had a fight over the phone with them and they demanded me to pay the money , if not they are going to send me to collection agency . I think they may have my signature on the UPS delivering paper. Please help.
They are correct, you owe the money. Had you received the products, called them and asked what's going on and gave them the chance to pick it up at their expense, you would be off the hook, BUT, you were a willing participant in a theft and you and only you took the illegally gained items and shipped them out of the country.

But, you seem to be evading the most important questions; who is this "friend"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or