U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2015, 03:00 PM
 
101 posts, read 84,173 times
Reputation: 154

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max100 View Post
Yes I did ask HSN about the credit card was used and apparently it was not mine. and of course HSN thinks that I used a stolen credit card.

If my friend really tricked me, yes I want him to be prosecuted. About the credit card, I asked them and they said it was not mine, so I can't ask more , because they can not give me the details of a credit card that was not mine.

What I am afraid here is that my friend opened shopping account on HSN under my name, then ordered items and shipped to my home. so HSN does not believe my story.
You need to contact law enforcement. local prosecutor, attorney general office, FBI. one of those will point you in the right direction. You need to talk to someone who knows what they are doing. What you don't want to do is give any information or money to anyone who is asking or demanding that you provide information or money. Your "friend" needs to go to jail. The moment where you think you're involved in a crime is the moment to stop endeavoring to handle it by yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2015, 04:05 PM
 
1,035 posts, read 1,697,012 times
Reputation: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Call the Federal Trade Commission. They helped me once when someone was trying to collect on a credit card that I already paid in full.
Contact the Federal Trade Commission | Federal Trade Commission


Quote:
Originally Posted by max100 View Post
Yes I did ask HSN about the credit card was used and apparently it was not mine. and of course HSN thinks that I used a stolen credit card.

If my friend really tricked me, yes I want him to be prosecuted. About the credit card, I asked them and they said it was not mine, so I can't ask more , because they can not give me the details of a credit card that was not mine.

What I am afraid here is that my friend opened shopping account on HSN under my name, then ordered items and shipped to my home. so HSN does not believe my story.
I was so confused about what you were saying but I got it. The payment for the perfume was invalidated after the fact because the card isn't yours (and is assumed or was reported stolen) and since you're the point of contact they have, they're asking you to pay for it?

I second contacting the FTC and also bringing the matter to the attention of the police just for some guidance. I saw someone else asked, but what details about the card did you ask them for? I'm sure they wouldn't give you the number, but would they at least tell you what kind of card (Visa, Mastercard, etc)?

I also didn't see you mention what your friend said about it or did he disappear? You said HSN refuses to speak to him. So you have all of his contact information? I'd definitely just report it then. Hand it over to the police, find out what they say about it. If he used a card he was authorized to use, he should be willing to help you clear it up. If he stole someone's card and knowingly put you at risk, who cares what happens to him. Call his country and report him to his local authorities lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 04:29 PM
 
161 posts, read 196,322 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
I was so confused about what you were saying but I got it. The payment for the perfume was invalidated after the fact because the card isn't yours (and is assumed or was reported stolen) and since you're the point of contact they have, they're asking you to pay for it?
Yes, I told HSN I wanted to provide my friend's name and email address but they refused to listen to me and they told me that since I am the person who received the perfume I have to pay for it.

Quote:
I saw someone else asked, but what details about the card did you ask them for? I'm sure they wouldn't give you the number, but would they at least tell you what kind of card (Visa, Mastercard, etc)?
I asked them what kind of card was used and they told me it was a Discover card.


Quote:
I also didn't see you mention what your friend said about it or did he disappear? You said HSN refuses to speak to him. So you have all of his contact information? I'd definitely just report it then. Hand it over to the police, find out what they say about it. If he used a card he was authorized to use, he should be willing to help you clear it up. If he stole someone's card and knowingly put you at risk, who cares what happens to him. Call his country and report him to his local authorities lol
My friend did not disappear, however he told me to wait for him about a month so that he can have enough money, but of course I don't agree with it. I will tell him to send me the money immediately. Definitely I don't care what the **** gonna happen to him, I only care about myself and my money. He has put me through this trouble while I am very busy. I never authorize my friend to use my name to buy item, I only allowed him to buy item and send it to me and I would ship for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Ouachita Mtns of Arkansas
1,980 posts, read 2,777,945 times
Reputation: 3670
I believe I am correct when I say that you do not have to pay for anything that is not solicited by you. Even when you get free stuff in the mail, you do not have to pay for it because you didn't ask for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 05:00 PM
eok
 
6,684 posts, read 3,255,556 times
Reputation: 8470
Is it legal in your state to record phone calls? If so, you should record everything HSN says to you. They might be breaking the law by threatening to use a collection agency against you.

And you need legal advice. Most lawyers will give you a small amount of advice free of charge. You need to know if it would make sense for you to go ahead and sue HSN to prevent them from ruining your credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 06:02 PM
 
325 posts, read 205,898 times
Reputation: 434
The company cannot report a debt to the credit agencies without your Social Security#. If the vendor suspects fraud it is their responsibility, or the responsibility of the credit card issuer, to report it to the authorities. If they do this law enforcement will then contact you and you can cooperate by giving your friend's information to them. The next time they call you, simply tell them very clearly not to call you again.
They can't do anything to you, and they are required by law to stop calling you when you tell them to. You're stressing yourself over nothing. As long as you have legitimate contact information for your friend and really had no knowledge of the fraud, you'll be fine. There is no proof that any crime was committed, that would be determined by an investigation, and you can clear yourself as a suspect by cooperating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 06:08 PM
 
161 posts, read 196,322 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
The company cannot report a debt to the credit agencies without your Social Security#. If the vendor suspects fraud it is their responsibility, or the responsibility of the credit card issuer, to report it to the authorities. If they do this law enforcement will then contact you and you can cooperate by giving your friend's information to them. The next time they call you, simply tell them very clearly not to call you again.
They can't do anything to you, and they are required by law to stop calling you when you tell them to. You're stressing yourself over nothing. As long as you have legitimate contact information for your friend and really had no knowledge of the fraud, you'll be fine. There is no proof that any crime was committed, that would be determined by an investigation, and you can clear yourself as a suspect by cooperating.
Thanks for your advice, however I am scared, I am a poor student LOL and looking for job, I don't want to ruin my future career because of potential bad credit history over crime I did not commit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 06:58 PM
eok
 
6,684 posts, read 3,255,556 times
Reputation: 8470
Quote:
Originally Posted by max100 View Post
Thanks for your advice, however I am scared, I am a poor student LOL and looking for job, I don't want to ruin my future career because of potential bad credit history over crime I did not commit.
Can you go to Legal Aid? They provide free or low-cost lawyers to people who can't afford lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 PM
 
1,789 posts, read 1,490,570 times
Reputation: 3682
Find legal aid somewhere near you.

I think you are fine. Just do not talk with them anymore. Don't. Don't.

The credit card used to pay isnt in your name. They goofed when they shipped the items. They don't have your SSN, whatever you do DO NOT GIVE IT TO THEM OR ANY MORE INFO AT ALL>>>PERIOD.

They could still possibly obtain your credit report which has your SSN. They are reqd to provide certain info. Not real clear how many of the 4 items they need but they are Name, Addresss, Birthdate and SSN. I think since they have your name and address they can request to insert an account on your credit report. Once they do they will have access to your other information which includes your SSN. It can happen. So it makes the police report extremely important. You need to include in your report that they informed you that the purchase was made by a credit card not in your name.

Monitor your credit report closely. Be ready to dispute anything that shows up about this. You stand a fair shot at it.

Again. Just relax. I think you will come out of this ok one way or the other.

The absolute worst outcome would be for it to go to collections, show up on your credit report and you aren't able to persuade the credit rating company to remove it. Then you will have to contact the collection agency and pay the debt. Your best course of action at that point is to ignore them for a few months and then call them up and offer to settle it for 50% or less and also that they will remove it from your credit report. Whatever agreement you get, make sure and get it in writing before you pay them a dime. Better yet if you get to that point their are entire books and websites with info on how to deal with debt collectors.

So regardless. Its not the end of the world and this isn't going to wreck your entire future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 09:57 PM
 
1,789 posts, read 1,490,570 times
Reputation: 3682
another thing to keep in mind is that your friend created an account to sign in and purchase the order. HSN surely has IP records for whoever has signed into this account and it would be impossible for it to originate from your computer, city or country since you have never signed into the account. They know this already. They already know your telling the truth. They don't care because they know the only way they can get paid is by collecting from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:10 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top