U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 04:52 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,607,134 times

Advertisements

I work for a similar company, You can take this how you want to, just giving you the facts of how this will play out.

First, I can tell you they can and will hit your credit report.. they don't need your SS# to do it either, that is not factual at all. I remember being a teenager and going for a car loan and a debt to BMG Music was on my credit report... They didn't have my SS# either. Actually, your name and address is all they need. We do it frequently. To them, it is under your name and address... If anything, to them, it looks like you used a Stolen/Bad Credit card. You can ask them all you want for an "IP Address", but, they aren't going to give it to you, period, unless you get the Police involved and they request it. And do you seriously think the Police are going to do anything but laugh after you fully admit to being a party to it. You may not have given him permission to set up an account in your name or whatever, but, you were more than willing to partake in something that is shady and possibly criminal.

To HSN, it looks like you placed the order and had it shipped to you.. They don't care what you did with it after. You can dispute it with HSN, and then the collection agency later, but, if you don't pay within a certain amount of time, they will report it to the Collection Agency. I am sure what they sent you/said, was that if it goes so far behind or isn't paid, it could go to an Agency.. They do the same with their past due "Flex Pay"... These places get scammed relentlessly, I have stories upon stories about things I have seen with scammers at these places.

You are complicit in this just as much as your friend, honestly, you had to have known it was shady, or at the least bit questionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
What he said. Also, HSN didn't ship anything without running the credit card and finding it was valid. The credit card holder may be in on the scam, and certainly challenged the charges.

At such time as you are contacted by a collection agency, don't run your mouth. Just ask them to send along a hard copy of your file. Chances are they have nothing. Also, their losses are not the retail value of the perfume, but the wholesale value. It's likely that is around 30% of the sale price.
You are probably right on the first one, this one probably has multiple people involved. Or, they use a stolen credit card... It get's authorized for the purchase, and then someone reports it stolen.

And, the losses to HSN, in their position, is the full retail value, and that is what they will submit to the Collection Agency, as the order was for 22 Perfumes at 80? a pop. They would have sold them to someone else. From my experience with this, they will definitely have a "file" so to speak that they will send to the agency, as they are most likely only contracted with 1-2 specific ones and they have millions of dollars of receivables in collections at any one time.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:15 PM

For all the people that think you can't report a debt without a SSN, please see the link below... I thought the same until I started my current job, honestly.

Credit Reporting without a SSN

Old 02-24-2015, 05:47 PM

4,094 posts, read 9,294,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
But, you seem to be evading the most important questions; who is this "friend"?
No, he answered that a few posts back.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:56 PM

4,094 posts, read 9,294,023 times
Please report it to the police BEFORE you pay and see what they say (you can probably do this by phone).

The reason I say this is that if he used a stolen credit card to buy the goods, and you accepted them, and then PAID HSN for them when pressured, you might be considered an accessory to crime which could be WAY worse than bad credit. Also, I don't know how they can get your credit without your social security number.

Your "friend" is a scum bag, BTW, so please don't agree to any other shipping arrangements with him.

And finally, if I were you, I'd tell him he has to send the money NOW or he'll be reported to his local police...you don't need to be dealing with his crap while trying to study in a foreign country!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,255,556 times
The police will keep a record that you reported the crime to them. That will help you in the future if you're ever in court trying to convince a judge that you're not the criminal.

That police report can also be used with the credit bureaus. They often accept police reports as evidence to remove negative information from your credit reports. Make sure you get a copy of the police report. The police can also give you advice of what to do.

You mentioned that Legal Aid asked you to file a complaint. What agency did they want you to file the complaint with?

The police report might also help convince HSN to give you more information about the crime, such as what country the credit card was charged from, what the IP address was of the person who ordered the perfume, etc. And that information might be useful to the police or to another agency such as the FBI. For all you know, this might be a major crime ring your friend got involved in. It might have thousands of participants in dozens of countries. The FBI might already be investigating it.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:44 PM

9,557 posts, read 12,496,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
What he said. Also, HSN didn't ship anything without running the credit card and finding it was valid. The credit card holder may be in on the scam, and certainly challenged the charges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
You are probably right on the first one, this one probably has multiple people involved. Or, they use a stolen credit card... It get's authorized for the purchase, and then someone reports it stolen.
I'm now thinking it may be more like someone had the credit card information, used it and when the victim got the bill, they disputed it. The OP mentioned HSN was saying there was a dispute over the charges. (Wouldn't surprise me if the credit card used to secure the UPS shipment also ends up being in dispute)

The main problem for the OP is that HSN has just about everything that points a finger at the OP especially since the OP reshipped the product. It would just make sense that someone claims they had nothing to do with it and it was some friend in a foreign country. The order was placed under the OP's name, It was shipped to the OP's address, the OP signed for it, the OP reshipped it out of the country... If you were a vendor would you believe the OP's story?

The twist of fate is that its in the OP's best interest to spill their guts to the police, but at the same time, the credit card victim probably reported the use of the card to the their local law enforcement. Local law enforcement notified the federal financial crime unit. With information that HSN supplied on who name is all over this, law enforcement has only one person on their radar scope, the OP. Nasty business all around with no winner.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The police will keep a record that you reported the crime to them. That will help you in the future if you're ever in court trying to convince a judge that you're not the criminal.

That police report can also be used with the credit bureaus. They often accept police reports as evidence to remove negative information from your credit reports. Make sure you get a copy of the police report. The police can also give you advice of what to do.

You mentioned that Legal Aid asked you to file a complaint. What agency did they want you to file the complaint with?

The police report might also help convince HSN to give you more information about the crime, such as what country the credit card was charged from, what the IP address was of the person who ordered the perfume, etc. And that information might be useful to the police or to another agency such as the FBI. For all you know, this might be a major crime ring your friend got involved in. It might have thousands of participants in dozens of countries. The FBI might already be investigating it.
I'm 99.9% sure they won't give him any info. They may provide it to the police but they won't give it to the OP. Seen similar situations and they will not divulge the information.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:21 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,110,154 times
Default One other possible idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
You're just going in circles now. People have given you advice and you refuse to take it so what's your point in drawing this out? The bottom line is that you're an accessory to a crime. Doesn't matter whether you knew it or not. Your actions are those of a guilty person. You took possession of stolen goods and shipped it off to your accomplice in a foreign country. Everyone can play the "I'm ignorant. I had no idea what was going on."-card but actions speak louder than words. If you REALLY want to prove your innocence then pay HSN what's owed to them and chalk it up as a lesson not to make shady shipping deals with random friends in foreign countries. Stupidity comes at a price. You're going to have to pay one way or another. Shelling out the cash to settle the debt is your least expensive option. Pay it and move on.
this poster is going around in circles all right. does anyone suspect he's just seeing out there what the loopholes are in the process, and all this advice is a dry run for him?

It's either a language barrier or he doesn't answer enquiries very well.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:23 PM

161 posts, read 196,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Please report it to the police BEFORE you pay and see what they say (you can probably do this by phone).

The reason I say this is that if he used a stolen credit card to buy the goods, and you accepted them, and then PAID HSN for them when pressured, you might be considered an accessory to crime which could be WAY worse than bad credit. Also, I don't know how they can get your credit without your social security number.

Your "friend" is a scum bag, BTW, so please don't agree to any other shipping arrangements with him.

And finally, if I were you, I'd tell him he has to send the money NOW or he'll be reported to his local police...you don't need to be dealing with his crap while trying to study in a foreign country!
I just reported everything to the police. I am waiting to get the pdf file report by email.

Quote:
this poster is going around in circles all right. does anyone suspect he's just seeing out there what the loopholes are in the process, and all this advice is a dry run for him?

It's either a language barrier or he doesn't answer enquiries very well.
What questions do you want me to answer ? I told everything I know here, please read all of my previous posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or