U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:49 AM

97 posts, read 86,541 times

Advertisements

hi everyone..
two weeks ago I ordered some stuff online from Walmart...one of these was pecans which my child and I ate that day and afterwards I felt really bad and my stomach hurt bad,,my 2 year old child was also fussy and crying..I immediately doubted the pecans since it was the only out of routine thing I ate that day and yes it was expired a month an a half ago..my child fortunately could throw it up and felt better and I started to get better the next day (i don't know why I did not go to a doctor though)..Anyway, I contacted Walmart and to my surprise they offered to give me a gift card with 15 dollars as a compensation???seriously??is that enough for the damage they caused???...
Now i want to know if you were me, what would you do?? I really feel very upset..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:50 AM

5,895 posts, read 5,809,932 times
Negotiate for $20

Old 02-26-2015, 11:54 AM

35,108 posts, read 41,276,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely person View Post
hi everyone..
two weeks ago I ordered some stuff online from Walmart...one of these was pecans which my child and I ate that day and afterwards I felt really bad and my stomach hurt bad,,my 2 year old child was also fussy and crying..I immediately doubted the pecans since it was the only out of routine thing I ate that day and yes it was expired a month an a half ago..my child fortunately could throw it up and felt better and I started to get better the next day (i don't know why I did not go to a doctor though)..Anyway, I contacted Walmart and to my surprise they offered to give me a gift card with 15 dollars as a compensation???seriously??is that enough for the damage they caused???...
Now i want to know if you were me, what would you do?? I really feel very upset..

Exactly what damage was caused?
You did not feel bad enough to go to the Doctor and you have no idea if it was that particular item or something else you had eaten.
You really have no proof that any item you purchased from Walmart caused you any damage.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Exactly what damage was caused?
You did not feel bad enough to go to the Doctor and you have no idea if it was that particular item or something else you had eaten.
You really have no proof that any item you purchased from Walmart caused you any damage.
I am very positive it is this item..how did you know it was not bad enough?because i did not go to emergency ..yes it did not call for that but it was bad enough to prevent me from being able to walk.. and even if i did not eat a bite that does not eliminate the fact they they sold me expired food..

Old 02-26-2015, 12:24 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,345,732 times
I bought a can of beans once that had what looked like pieces of a womans blouse in it. I got five cans of free beans and I own Delmonte now...okay just the free beans. By the way I ate expired nuts the other day..didn't get sick. Yep... that's what I said.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:27 PM

697 posts, read 638,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely person View Post
hi everyone..
Did you mean to post this in a food forum?

I doubt that nuts that had an expiration date of 6 weeks prior would make someone's stomach hurt. It was probably something else you both ate.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
I bought a can of beans once that had what looked like pieces of a womans blouse in it. I got five cans of free beans and I own Delmonte now...okay just the free beans. By the way I ate expired nuts the other day..didn't get sick. Yep... that's what I said.
luck you you didn't ..I did

Old 02-26-2015, 12:37 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,803,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Negotiate for $20
Can't rep you again yet, but... pithy.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
Did you mean to post this in a food forum?

I doubt that nuts that had an expiration date of 6 weeks prior would make someone's stomach hurt. It was probably something else you both ate.
I can not be more sure that it is the cause..It even had a weird taste

Old 02-26-2015, 12:50 PM

975 posts, read 1,389,203 times
I would take their offer and move on. Lesson learned, always check the expiry dates on food. Sure, they shouldn't have shipped out expired product, but you could have easily checked it before consuming it.

In addition, a month and a half past the expiry on an item like nuts would not lead me to believe that they had gone bad. While I do not eat things past the expiry out of an abundance of caution, I understand that those dates are pretty conservative.

Did they taste or smell bad? If not, I bet they were fine. Also, you might want to check the terminology came before the date, as expires, sell by, and best by all technically mean different things.

The culprit might not be food you ate, but rather dirty hands or cross contaminated eating surfaces. With a two-year old in the house, presumably still in diapers, you have to be vigilant about hand washing. Most stomach bugs travel via the fecal-oral route. Gross, but true.

In addition, while it can be hard to wash a toddler's hands, you should wash his/her hands whenever you come in the house, as the surfaces at daycare, school, shopping carts, playgrounds, etc. are most likely covered in some pathogen, and he/she should always wash up before eating. I also endorse teaching kids from early on not to put their hands in their mouth, eyes, nose, etc. Some people say, "Oh, kids will be kids," but honestly, there is no reason why they can't learn how to protect themselves (and those around them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or