Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:45 PM

622 posts, read 523,746 times

Advertisements

Amazon has filed a first-ever lawsuit claiming fake product reviews were being bought online by some companies to enhance their products with five star ratings.

Amazon claims that this amounts to deceit and damages its repuation. The suit also claims trademark infringement, unfair practices and deceptive acts.

More on the story here: Amazon files first-ever suit over fake product reviews, alleging sites sold fraudulent praise - GeekWire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:28 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,578,252 times
Amazon does a load of censorship on their own so that products and vendors they use look better then they actually are. I've had numerous times when I have given an item low stars that it never made it to the site or their preferred vendor didn't like the comment and it was removed. Most people have learned not to trust just one site for stars. Many people go to multiple sites to find star ratings before ordering.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:32 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
Never had that happen but I see some that are obviously worthless. Amazon does much better job than most sties for sure. The ole Chinese junk started out( use to be Japanese) I just by pass. Good for Amazon a site I trust more than most.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:40 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,044,216 times
Amazing that the one company especially, was so obviously brazen with their website name.
If identified, I hope that Amazon also bans the sellers that used these places.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Amazon does a load of censorship on their own so that products and vendors they use look better then they actually are. I've had numerous times when I have given an item low stars that it never made it to the site or their preferred vendor didn't like the comment and it was removed. Most people have learned not to trust just one site for stars. Many people go to multiple sites to find star ratings before ordering.
That's not good either. If they want users to comment, they have to accept the all opinions, not just the ones they don't like.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:23 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,080,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
That's not good either. If they want users to comment, they have to accept the all opinions, not just the ones they don't like.
The problem is with a lot of online reviews is there’s a certain level of intellectual dishonesty.

A perfect example of this is a certain hotel I stay at while I’m traveling. It’s a two star hotel according to the traditional hotel rating. This hotel is very clean and well kept. The pathetic thing is that according to well-seasoned travelers on sites like Trip Advisor this hotel is ranked down, because they’re not offering the amenities that you’d find at a 3 and 3 star superior hotels.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:33 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
That is why you read but ignore those not specific and also the its a jewel types.you should post such a review telling just that if you want.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:49 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,286,602 times
When checking the Amazon reviews of merchandise, I always take care to note whether the reviewers who give glowing 5-star reviews have ever purchased/reviewed other items. When the answer is no, I'm very wary.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:05 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,991,359 times
I agree that many online reviews may be fake and promoted by the business owner/manufacturer.

Recently I read reviews for an apartment complex and noted there were at least 6 current reviewers claiming the complex was the 'best in the world', etc., and gave a 5-star rating. Then as I scrolled down, I read a comment that stated the apt complex manager started a contest and the winner would get half a month's rent free, all they had to do to win was post the most positive comment.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I agree that many online reviews may be fake and promoted by the business owner/manufacturer.

Recently I read reviews for an apartment complex and noted there were at least 6 current reviewers claiming the complex was the 'best in the world', etc., and gave a 5-star rating. Then as I scrolled down, I read a comment that stated the apt complex manager started a contest and the winner would get half a month's rent free, all they had to do to win was post the most positive comment.
Yes, I've seen similar things myself. I was looking for a dry cleaners in Amsterdam where I live a while back and a couple of reviewers gave one which is located close by a shining 5-star rating on Yelp. But when I went to check it out, it looked a dump with peeling paint on the outside and untidy looking inside. When I checked later, I discovered that both reviewers lived in another town miles away from where the business was located. There's just no way that they would travel all the way here just to get a jacket dry-cleaned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products