U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:24 PM

28,011 posts, read 16,311,402 times

Advertisements

We all see these at stores, the security tags that may or may not have ink in them and from time to time, we see that they are still on clothing after you leave the store. My questions about this is why do they even use them if they don't even remove them from clothing (most people don't have the tools to remove them without harming the shirt (ie dye or making a hole in it) and two what do you do if you have an article that still has them on it? I know when you buy a shirt you can't return it if the tag had released dye on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:11 AM

13,052 posts, read 7,922,671 times
I've never had that happen. I always watch to make sure that all security tags are removed, but even then I have never had to tell an employee to remove one. If it were to ever happen, I would not try to remove it myself, I'd be afraid of putting a hole in my new purchase. I would much rather take it back to the store (with receipt, because I know someone is going to say something about how the store will think its stolen) and have them remove it.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never had that happen. I always watch to make sure that all security tags are removed, but even then I have never had to tell an employee to remove one. If it were to ever happen, I would not try to remove it myself, I'd be afraid of putting a hole in my new purchase. I would much rather take it back to the store (with receipt, because I know someone is going to say something about how the store will think its stolen) and have them remove it.
Would you do it even if it is about an hour away? This happened to me today. Not heading back in that area for a while.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:57 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
I had that happen once, I wrapped it up in a plastic bag and duct tape. Cut it with a pair of wire cutters. I don't know if they have different ones but that was very easy to remove.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I had that happen once, I wrapped it up in a plastic bag and duct tape. Cut it with a pair of wire cutters. I don't know if they have different ones but that was very easy to remove.
I've seen many of these videos and the problem is knowing off the tag has dye or not. Especially on a white shirt, I don't want to find out the hard way.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:38 AM

13,052 posts, read 7,922,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Would you do it even if it is about an hour away? This happened to me today. Not heading back in that area for a while.
Would I return it instead of risking ruining the item with a hole or ink stain? Yeah, even if it was an hour away. Most return policies give you 2-3 months to return the item. You won't be going anywhere near there in the next three months?

Otherwise I guess you just have to weigh your options. Is it worth taking it back? Would you be okay with wasting the money if you were to ruin the item?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:52 PM

463 posts, read 462,417 times
Some of them are just for show. We would get new merchandise and stick them on. (Not the kind for clothing). They didn't do a darn thing. They were just fancy stickers.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:12 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,072,495 times
Not all security tags even have ink; set off detectors that beep on exit. I once had one on garment my mother bought in Colorado and I was able to remove it. No ink and no electronic inside. They just forgot to remove it. I have had that happen on one that went off at exit and they removed it.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:30 PM

6,763 posts, read 5,400,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I've seen many of these videos and the problem is knowing off the tag has dye or not. Especially on a white shirt, I don't want to find out the hard way.
I've had that happen to me several times.

I read you could stick the item in the freezer and hope it freezes the ink.

I've taken things back since it wasn't too far. I try to remember to check, but sometimes you don't even see them - tiny ones on the inside of a purse for example.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:34 AM

40,062 posts, read 48,942,384 times
They're left on there so when the shoplifters try to return the items the alarm goes off when they enter the store warning the sales personnel "they're back".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or