U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 08:13 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,187,119 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any trouble buying a new item from Amazon and a refurbished one comes instead....? We were looking into buying a pool heater and Amazon is always my go to place and found one for a great price..New.....My pool guy said that they sell all refurbished as new and you don't get a warranty etc etc etc.. I have never had a problem but I have never bought this expensive of an item either but the savings is really good...Just wondering if HE wants me to buy from HIM and he is just saying this..I buy from Amazon all the time...and have never had a problem...if something is refurbished it says refurbished period...I just can't imagine someone using a pool heater for 3 years then putting it in the original box with the styrofoam and shrink wrapping the box passing it off a brand new......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 07:30 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,671,425 times
Get a new pool guy.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:31 PM

587 posts, read 729,458 times
I think that there's a big problem with counterfeit products and refurbished items being sold as new on Amazon. I ordered a cell phone from Amazon (not a third party) that came with trash from the last time someone had activated the phone. Clearly not new. I just returned another electronic item because the description on the website didn't match the product that was shipped.

I can't speak to pool heaters at all, but I would carefully read reviews and inspect the item. I get the same feeling as you about your pool guy wanting you to buy from him.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:33 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
I have made numerous purchase of large times on Amazon and never a problem. I have returned items in state they require and never had a problem. So keep the packing and use that if a problem. Put the problem on site as to reason for return. Its really the no issue return same as Wal Mart that is the value purchasing from them.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:50 PM

9,564 posts, read 12,505,425 times
Amazon's policy is to keep an item listed as new if it was returned in OEM new condition. Unfortunately, people have become familiar with how to repackage an item they tested to look as if it was just opened, never used and was just not what they expected from the appearance and returned it.

If you are buying direct from Amazon (not 3rd party, not fulfilled by amazon) if it's not OEM new, return it at their expense and demand a OEM new product. Technically, if an items was used and returned, it should be labeled as an open box return or repackaged, or refurbished (if they had to do some work on the product).

As an FYI, an OEM factory refurbished item usually will have the exact same new product warranty. Often they are actually better because the bug was found and fixed versus you buying an off the assembly line new unit that had that bug. Depending on the product, its not uncommon for many assembly line products to only be spot checked where a returned item undergoing a factory refurbishing has all know issues checked before being repackaged. If there is a significant price savings, it may be worth the refurbished product over a off the assembly line item that was never checked or inspected.

Just my opinion.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:51 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,187,119 times
Thanks for the comments...I am going to order it and take a chance...

Old 03-14-2015, 11:55 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Amazon has had its share of counterfeit and refurbished products being sold as new... just like many other retailers. It's almost always not the fault of Amazon but somewhere up the supply chain.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:36 AM

587 posts, read 729,458 times
It's true that it's not just Amazon. I've run into the same thing at Walmart. I agree that their return policy makes it less of an issue - but it's really important to look at the item and packaging before you use it. Two phones I ordered online last year were made for the South American market and at least one had been used in Brazil prior to being sold as a new item on Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or