U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2008, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,427 posts, read 28,703,282 times
Reputation: 9580
Default Most patriotic Americans would never step foot in a Walmart (moved from Clt forum)

Most patriotic Americans would never step foot in a Walmart. That being said, you can get a pass to walk (just walk, not shop and buy) the store in Costco so you can compare.

If you ask some one like myself with more logic then whatever, I question shopping anyplace that charges you to shop their store. Why pay for the right to shop a store when one can walk into any one of thousands of other stores who will welcome "just you, as you are" without some silly membership card?

Some will argue there are bargains to be had. Sorry. Just ain't true. I should not have to buy a 5 gallon drum of ketchup to get a good price. I should not have to by a 24 pack of windex to get a good price. Nor should I have to take 3 friends with me to chip in on a 25lb slab of meat just to get a good price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2008, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
8,321 posts, read 9,873,371 times
Reputation: 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Most patriotic Americans would never step foot in a Walmart.
I'd like you to spend 10 minutes w/my uncle who fought in WWII and tell him that. You wouldn't last ten seconds...... Moderator cut: No Flaming or Personal Attacks: Read TOS Debate ideas not the speaker


Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Some will argue there are bargains to be had. Sorry. Just ain't true. I should not have to buy a 5 gallon drum of ketchup to get a good price. I should not have to by a 24 pack of windex to get a good price. Nor should I have to take 3 friends with me to chip in on a 25lb slab of meat just to get a good price.
They don't even sell a 5 gallon drum of ketchup.

Exaggerations abound when we can't support w/facts....


Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-13-2008 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2008, 12:27 PM
 
781 posts, read 2,533,636 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Who cares....



To the OP, I have a BJ's membership but when my membership is up in a couple of months, I'm going to switch to Costco's. I think Sam's and Costco's are slightly better than BJ's....between costco and sam's I think their the same, imo

hope this helps
I care.Why shop at a store who will not offer benefits to their employees.Why shop at a store that will import 80% of their merchandise from china,putting Americans out of a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2008, 12:33 PM
 
870 posts, read 2,322,815 times
Reputation: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Most patriotic Americans would never step foot in a Walmart. That being said, you can get a pass to walk (just walk, not shop and buy) the store in Costco so you can compare.
What a dumb comment. First off, what makes Costco any different than Wal Mart? They sell the same products from the same countries.

Walmart supports food banks in every state during the holiday seasons, they donate to the Fund Research into Minority Women's Health issues, they recently partnered with the Clinton Climate Initiative to bring environmentally friendly technology around the world, they support the efforts of the Salvation Army, they are the leading US employer of Hispanics, African Americans, women and seniors, they insure more than 950,000 associates and their families, have stores in 15 countries, give scholorships to underpriveledged students, sponsor the National Teacher of the Year and many many other initiatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2008, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
8,321 posts, read 9,873,371 times
Reputation: 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
I care.Why shop at a store who will not offer benefits to their employees.Why shop at a store that will import 80% of their merchandise from china,putting Americans out of a job.
Oh, so Home Depot hasn't been hiring more "part time" associates for years?

Don't you know why they do that? so they don't have to pay them benefits...

But YOU probably don't shop there right?


Sorry to inform everyone, but those floodgates opened a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2008, 12:39 PM
 
870 posts, read 2,322,815 times
Reputation: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
I care.Why shop at a store who will not offer benefits to their employees.Why shop at a store that will import 80% of their merchandise from china,putting Americans out of a job.
Get the facts before you spout such comments. Over 950,000 associates and family members receive insurance and benefits from Wal Mart.
Do you buy sneakers at Dick's or Sports Authority? What about clothing at the Gap or American Eagle or other stores? How about toys at Toys R Us or KayBee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2008, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,427 posts, read 28,703,282 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I'd like you to spend 10 minutes w/my uncle who fought in WWII and tell him that. You wouldn't last ten seconds......idiot





They don't even sell a 5 gallon drum of ketchup.

Exaggerations abound when we can't support w/facts....

Moderator cut: Personal Attack I am on your uncles side. What are you even talking about?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-13-2008 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2008, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
8,321 posts, read 9,873,371 times
Reputation: 3151
When you say "Most patriotic americans would never set foot in Walmart", you are implying that if you do set foot, you aren't patriotic.

If you don't mean what I just explained, then clarify your statment for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2008, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,427 posts, read 28,703,282 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Get the facts before you spout such comments. Over 950,000 associates and family members receive insurance and benefits from Wal Mart.
Do you buy sneakers at Dick's or Sports Authority? What about clothing at the Gap or American Eagle or other stores? How about toys at Toys R Us or KayBee?
Maybe you should get your facts straight. Your number of 950,000 insured is only 43% of the total number of Walmart employees. That is pretty sad wouln't ya think?

On average for 2007, large companies (200 or more workers) cover approximately 66% of their employees. If Wal-Mart was to reach the average coverage rate, Wal-Mart should be covering an additional 318,000 employees.

But lets get back to Costco VS Samscrook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2008, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
8,321 posts, read 9,873,371 times
Reputation: 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Maybe you should get your facts straight. Your number of 950,000 insured is only 43% of the total number of Walmart employees. That is pretty sad wouln't ya think?

On average for 2007, large companies (200 or more workers) cover approximately 66% of their employees. If Wal-Mart was to reach the average coverage rate, Wal-Mart should be covering an additional 318,000 employees.

But lets get back to Costco VS Samscrook.
Ok, by your standards, what % should they be forced to issue benefits?

60%?
75%?
90%?


How many of those people are part-timers?

Do you shop in Home Depot? Don't you know they avoid paying people benefits?....

Let's just ignore the facts to make it convenient to us....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top